Neutral light indicator

REKisten

Reaction score
Purchased new Bennington 2017.  Love the boat and have not second guessed the purchase.  Idea..... I'd like to see either the neutral light moved or a second neutral indicator put on the dash; making viewing instantaneous and positive.  Currently the green neutral light indicator is to the right of and underneath the throttle, making it difficult to see without looking down and moving your head forward or back so as to see around the shifter.  I consider this a safety issue.  The boat operator needs to know the boat is in neutral without having to look down and around the shifter; especially when docking and/or loading onto a trailer. 

That's new to me as I've never seen a neutral indicator light. Welcome to the forum and what are the specs of your boat?

That's a new one to me too. Truthfully, I would never rely on a "secondary" indicator to tell me of my throttle position. I can tell visually, or by feel if I'm in neutral. Maybe you could tap in a small led light lead and install it in your dash?

I guess I am understanding why you need an indicator in the first place. My Yamaha won't start in gear, and the motor isn't running when people are in or getting in/out of the water. Am I missing something? Can't you just look at the position of the throttle lever?

Mine will start in gear. Ask me how I know. ;)

Clarification on edit: Mine started one day and darted forward until I caught that it was in gear. Yesterday when I took it out, it didn't start when fixing to back it off of the trailer. I noticed it was in gear, and wouldn't allow the start. I don't know why it would one time and not the other. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out this year that while running you can remove the ignition key and use the bottle opener. Life can have enjoyable surprises.  

Purchased new Bennington 2017.  Love the boat and have not second guessed the purchase.  Idea..... I'd like to see either the neutral light moved or a second neutral indicator put on the dash; making viewing instantaneous and positive.  Currently the green neutral light indicator is to the right of and underneath the throttle, making it difficult to see without looking down and moving your head forward or back so as to see around the shifter.  I consider this a safety issue.  The boat operator needs to know the boat is in neutral without having to look down and around the shifter; especially when docking and/or loading onto a trailer. 

First, what brand motor do you have on your boat? And what model boat do you have? I have a  Evinrude Etech that has I command system. Both the throttle and gauges alert you when the motor is in neutral. Not so sure about other prerigging for other manufactures. I do like my Etech.

My guess is that REKristen is powered by a Mercury. My set-up sounds similar, as the green neutral light is very difficult to see. I can appreciate his point, as the system shifts very smoothly from neutral to drive, and the engine is extremely quiet, making it difficult to figure out without looking at the indicator. Of course, the engine is off while boarding, but when doing slow maneuvers which require shifting between drive and neutral, it is sometimes hard to know which it is. 

Back