New '18 SSBXP squeaky steering wheel.

Patrick Szuch

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my new Benny for about 2 weeks now, and loving everything about it. From day 1 though, the steering wheel has had a squeak when turning it. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it yourself. I'm sure it's nothing a bit of gear grease can't fix, but I'm a bit nervous about removing the steering wheel on a brand new boat. Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice

What type of steering do you have?

Just standard cable steering. Not power assisted (90hp Yamaha motor). It's the steering wheel that is squeaking, not anything in the actual cable system back to the motor.

Just standard cable steering. Not power assisted (90hp Yamaha motor). It's the steering wheel that is squeaking, not anything in the actual cable system back to the motor.

What model wheel do you have. Mine has a center cap that pops off, then the wheel is held on to a hub by numerous allen head bolts. That hub is bolted to the steering shaft. I had to tighten the Allen bolts as my wheel had some flex when I bought it (aftermarket, not from factory).

Not sure what model, but I will take a closer look next time I have the cover off (likely tomorrow). It's a new 2018 SSBXP model, so whatever the standard wheel that comes with the SXP models. Hopefully the wheel can be removed as easily as you described.

Hey Patrick I just purchased a 21SLX and I’m having the same issue, a squeaky wheel. Did you get yours sorted? Was it just tensioning the wheel to the shaft or did you need to grease it? I don’t want to make it worse but don’t want to go back to the dealer under the warranty as I don’t have a trailer

I am fortunate to live only 5 minutes from the Bennington dealer where I purchased the boat. A service technician from the dealer came to my home and looked at the squeaky wheel. He ended up spraying/rubbing a thin lubricant into the steering column as well as he could without removing the wheel. That was over a year ago and the wheel has remained squeak free since. The technician wasn't completely confident the lubricant would be any kind of long term/permanent solution so he left the can of lubricant with me. I will take a picture of it the next time I am on the Benny and post it here.

I am fortunate to live only 5 minutes from the Bennington dealer where I purchased the boat. A service technician from the dealer came to my home and looked at the squeaky wheel. He ended up spraying/rubbing a thin lubricant into the steering column as well as he could without removing the wheel. That was over a year ago and the wheel has remained squeak free since. The technician wasn't completely confident the lubricant would be any kind of long term/permanent solution so he left the can of lubricant with me. I will take a picture of it the next time I am on the Benny and post it here.
That sounds like an easy fix look forward to seeing the lubricant so I can try that. I didn’t want to damage anything so this will help tremendously. Thanks Patrick

That sounds like an easy fix look forward to seeing the lubricant so I can try that. I didn’t want to damage anything so this will help tremendously. Thanks Patrick

Sorry it took me so long to reply! Here is a picture of the lubricant used by the service tech on our squeaky wheel. It was done over a year ago and has just started squeaking again. I could spray some more lubricant, but the dealer has promised to fix the problem permanently during the off season (I use them for winterizing and winter storage) by widening the steering column hole a tiny bit. He indicated this is a common problem on the Benningtons.

marine_lube.jpg

Thanks for that Patrick, I actually have had the squeak pretty much stop, so maybe it was just the newness (I just purchased my boat in July this year). If it starts up again I will try this or a similar light oil.

Back