New 2250 RCL performance issue

Lake Rat

Reaction score
I just received my new toon. It is a 2250 RCL twin tube, which means it gets the center mounted gas tank. The tank design has a very blunt nose that does not cut through water very well. My boat will only run about 16-17 mph top speed with a 90 hp Yamaha and every little ripple on the lake can be felt in the floor. It feels like there is a brake on the boat. Working with dealer currenty who is in turn working with Bennington to resolve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess without seeing it it's hard to understand what you mean by blunt.

I assume your transom/motor pod should look like the one in the pictures currently on the main page. that is my 20SLi.

As far as i know, that is the standard setup for twin tube.

It is the 33 gallon tank mounted to the underside of the deck just forward of the transom. Its basically a square box that hangs approximately 10" down 3-4 ft in length. Ill try to post pics when i get home.

If the tank hangs down 10" i can't imagine that it would actually be in the water.

I guess the underdeck spray could be hitting it, and that could be what you are feeling.

That relates somewhat as to why i underskinned our boat, after riding on a friends toon with underskin, the ride was smoother and quieter, mind you, there really wasn't anything wrong with the way our boat performed. After all, i did not go with the max. hp. or any optional wave shield or under deck upgrades.

Also, it may be that the boat is not set up properly, engine mounted too high, or not the optimal prop selection.

Let us know what the dealer finds.

Does it have strakes? 90hp on a 2550 is probably working hard. That is a big and beautiful boat.

What hole is the motor mounted in. What size people and rpm are you seeing.

Todd

Just a thought... You could look under your boat, looking between the tubes from the front towards the back, while the boat is resting in the water (at dock), and see how much (if any) the tank sits in the water.

As your boat planes up while underway, the tank would rise higher of course, and if the tank IS in the water at rest, then this won't really tell you anything new. BUT, if the tank does NOT touch the water while the boat is at rest, then I would think the tank it is NOT your problem.

Just a thought on a way to maybe narrow things down.

I guess what I'm asking is are you 100% sure the tank is in the water while underway? Seems that would be kinda hard to know for sure... I mean, how could you see it while moving? Unless you stuck your head below the deck at the bow while someone was driving the boat (just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you do this, as this would be a very dangerous thing to do).

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated before, we need pitch of prop and. Wot rpm. I don't think your gonna see much mph with a 90hp on a 25 foot heavy boat.

Please provide proper size and rpm. It could be your turning too little or too much prop and have some horrible. % slip.

Todd

Just a thought... You could look under your boat, looking between the tubes from the front towards the back, while the boat is resting in the water (at dock), and see how much (if any) the tank sits in the water.

As your boat planes up while underway, the tank would rise higher of course, and if the tank IS in the water at rest, then this won't really tell you anything new. BUT, if the tank does NOT touch the water while the boat is at rest, then I would think the tank it is NOT your problem.

Just a thought on a way to maybe narrow things down.

I guess what I'm asking is are you 100% sure the tank is in the water while underway? Seems that would be kinda hard to know for sure... I mean, how could you see it while moving? Unless you stuck your head below the deck at the bow while someone was driving the boat (just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you do this, as this would be a very dangerous thing to do).
As stated in another post, that's exactly what I did. You can see the water rush up from the tubes and hit directly on the tank. It also looks like the back of the tank is in the water possibly causing turbulance and prop washout. You can actually feel the boat slow down and speed per water conditions. None of the other (5) pontoons I've owned have had an issue like this, but none have ever had a center mounted tank.

Boat will turn approx 5300-5500 RPM at WOT. Seems that is on par with Yamaha specs.....

As stated in another post, that's exactly what I did. You can see the water rush up from the tubes and hit directly on the tank. It also looks like the back of the tank is in the water possibly causing turbulance and prop washout. You can actually feel the boat slow down and speed per water conditions. None of the other (5) pontoons I've owned have had an issue like this, but none have ever had a center mounted tank.

Boat will turn approx 5300-5500 RPM at WOT. Seems that is on par with Yamaha specs.....
Hi Lake Rat, please send TB a personal message from this site with your boat serial number and selling dealer. We'll follow-up to be sure your dealer and our team are working together on the issue. Thanks, TB

I just floated my new 2550 RCL in the water this weekend & actually read your post before putting it in so I was a little weary. I chose a 75hp Yamaha because I have little need for speed because I'll just use the ski boat for those activities, but 16 would be too slow I agree. Anyway I made sure the motor was mounted as low as possible to get the prop down in the water, I believe the prop is a 13x13.5, with a full tank of gas and EXTREMELY rough water I was hitting 22mph (just me in the boat). I did feel that the water hitting the fuel tank, but there were 2 foot waves, I'll take it out again to see what its like in normal conditions. If it does constantly hit, I agree that has to get fixed. Anyway, the boat is stunningly beautiful...could not believe how solid and quiet it was in rough conditions. I think with a smaller boat and 90hp you should be able to see 24-25mph once it is set up properly.

Back