New 24SLX 2 Toons - Speed

24slxowner

Reaction score
Just purchased a new Bennington 24SLX w/2 toons and decided on the Yamaha 150 for tubing and wake boarding. Should this be plenty of HP for pulling 2 tube with the grandkids or for 1 wake boarder? Plus doe's anyone know what the top speed may be without pulling.

Am on Lake Norman in North Carolina.

Thanks,

24SLXowner

Welcome to Lake Norman and you should see 40 mph.

Thanks for the welcome. I have lived here all my life, but never owned a pontoon. I had a Crownline 202 BR with a 5.7L with a Bravo III sterndrive with dual props and sold it to get the pontoon for more family enjoyment for the grandkids and all. I'll miss the speed, but need to slow down a little.

I bought the boat from Lake Norman Marina, have known the owner's personally for over 20 years, great people. I also am putting in a porta potty in it with holding tank which can be pumped out at the pier. Have you or anyone you know had this done? It will be in the pull up change area, just wondering.

Thanks for any response,

Last edited by a moderator:
My 24' SSLX with a Yamaha 150 and a 15 pitch prop (Express Tubes) runs 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's.

Question is whether your boat has underskinning and lifting strakes? If not, you're going to be plowing through the water instead of having nose up. And I wouldn't go over 115 hp.

My 24' SSLX with a Yamaha 150 and a 15 pitch prop (Express Tubes) runs 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's.

Question is whether your boat has underskinning and lifting strakes? If not, you're going to be plowing through the water instead of having nose up. And I wouldn't go over 115 hp.
Mine tops out at 42 mph @ 5900 rpm. I have the twin 32" elliptical pontoons, underskinning and lifting strakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman,

I should have stated what kind of toons I had. I ordered the twin elliptical freshwater performance package with the under deck wave shield. About six weeks before it gets here and hope she may reach 40 MPH.

Thanks

That's a great boat and performance/engine combo with a fantastic ride on the twin ellipticals. I rode in the same model at the Bennington open house in the fall and it was good for 40+ no problem at all. Have fun!

Your twin ellipticals are the fastest twin pontoon boats you'll find due to increased buoyancy without the drag of the center toon. They also handle loads much better than just 25" toons.

Disadvantage over my Express Tubes is that they cost just a little more, and they don't handle quite as well as 3 tubes. I too wanted ellipticals, but my dealer didn't have any in stock.

I think they'd be very good for taking long distance trips due to efficiency, and for families without little kids to drag on tubes (tight turns).

Back