New 25 SSBXP with 200HP Mercury

jtrovato21

Reaction score
We just recently purchased a new 2019 25 Swingback SSBXP at the Boston boat show. This is an in stock boat and has the SPS package and a Mercury 200 Four Stroke. We won't take delivery until May since the lakes are still frozen up here! Anyone have this combo and can speak to the performance? We are coming from a Malibu wakeboard boat, but have gotten out of wakeboarding and surfing and more into pulling younger kids around on the tube and ez-ski, and hanging at the sandbar. We wanted to make sure we had enough motor to pull a wakeboard or ski if/when the kids want to try it, but see a lot more functionality out of the Bennington than the Malibu. What can we expect to see for time to plane and top speed with an 8-10 person load?

Here's the option list (yes I know it's missing power steering, which I'm sure many of you will say to add from my previous browsing of the forum, we will wait and see how it goes this summer and can always have the dealer add it down the line if we need it, we boat on the same lake as the dealer and do valet service with them, so it won't be an issue!).

Smokey Granite Base with Metallic Silver Accent Panel
Mercury 200 XL
Curved Bimini
Pillowtop Diamond Pressed Upholstery
Swingback Keeper Rail
Bow Rectangular Table
Bow Gate Seat
Diamond Pressed Luxury Recliner
Simrad GPS G05
Elevated Helm Chaise
Illuminated Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Seagrass Slate Full Flooring
Sport Performance System-SPS with Transom Fuel
Battery - Single Switch
Battery - Power Distribution Panel
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Privacy Option
Dock Lights in LED Stainless Housing
Deluxe Ski Tow Bar
Pop Up Cleats - Bow and Aft
Sharkhide

A 25' boat with 8/10 people and only 200hp is not going to be like the Malibu as far as speed. It sounds like a great boat though.

A 25' boat with 8/10 people and only 200hp is not going to be like the Malibu as far as speed. It sounds like a great boat though.

I don't expect it to be like the Malibu, but hoping we will be able to hit mid 30s with a load. Is that reasonable?

The Malibu was 320hp and a much heavier boat and we could get up around 42-43 on smooth water WOT. Never would expect that out of the Bennington.

I don't expect it to be like the Malibu, but hoping we will be able to hit mid 30s with a load. Is that reasonable?

The Malibu was 320hp and a much heavier boat and we could get up around 42-43 on smooth water WOT. Never would expect that out of the Bennington.
There are 50+ mph Benningtons out there. Mid 30's might be doable.

Welcome to the Bennington family! Your new boat sounds awesome and I know you're going to love it! Regarding performance, we have a GCW 2574 ESP which is a bit heavier than yours, powered by a 250 Verado (15.6X13 SS Inertia). With a light load we can hit 40 and fairly well loaded about 38.

I think you'll be thrilled with how your boat performs and I would guess you may just be a tad below 40. That said, without a windshield like your previous vessel, you probably won't stay at WOT long. Be sure and post some pictures when available.

The wind to the face doesn't keep me from staying out of the throttle!

Congrats on the new boat!

I currently (still) have a 2015 23GCW with a Yamaha 200...

SPS with Aft & Bow extended decks...

Boat does 43 WOT with 3 adults and a full tank...

The 4 cyl doesn’t have the big low end torque so as I add peeps it makes a difference for sure...

5 adults and few kids and the speed drops down to 33-35...

Never had any issues with pulling wake boards...

Just if the boat was loaded the guy/gal on the board needed to be seasoned for getting up due to a weaker hole shot...

Bought the boat in July of ‘15 and ran it hard through the end of ‘18 season...

Was pleased with it...

Enjoying my ‘19 now though...

Congrats...

Enjoy it and stay safe...

As many have said, top speed at WOT should be high 30's. You'll love the way the Bennington rides far more than the Malibu! Doesn't matter if its glass or chop, you'll knife through it like butter! The ride and comfort are my wife and my favorite part of the boat!

Time to plane will be as soon as you hit the throttle!

Congrats and enjoy!!

I currently (still) have a 2015 23GCW with a Yamaha 200...

SPS with Aft & Bow extended decks...

Boat does 43 WOT with 3 adults and a full tank...

The 4 cyl doesn’t have the big low end torque so as I add peeps it makes a difference for sure...

5 adults and few kids and the speed drops down to 33-35...

Never had any issues with pulling wake boards...

Just if the boat was loaded the guy/gal on the board needed to be seasoned for getting up due to a weaker hole shot...

Bought the boat in July of ‘15 and ran it hard through the end of ‘18 season...

Was pleased with it...

Enjoying my ‘19 now though...

Congrats...

Enjoy it and stay safe...

Great info! The Merc 200 is a 3.4L V6, so should have a little better low end torque than the Yamaha 4 cylinder.

As many have said, top speed at WOT should be high 30's. You'll love the way the Bennington rides far more than the Malibu! Doesn't matter if its glass or chop, you'll knife through it like butter! The ride and comfort are my wife and my favorite part of the boat!

Time to plane will be as soon as you hit the throttle!

Congrats and enjoy!!

Looking forward to a smoother ride! That's where the Malibu was really not very impressive, ours was a 2007 before the big deep hulls started getting popular, pretty flat bottom. Great wake, but terrible ride in the chop! Looking forward to more room and a much smoother ride!

Great info! The Merc 200 is a 3.4L V6, so should have a little better low end torque than the Yamaha 4 cylinder.

Agreed...

Might even make up for the 2' difference in LOA between ours...

I think you're going to be real happy...

Looking forward to a smoother ride! That's where the Malibu was really not very impressive, ours was a 2007 before the big deep hulls started getting popular, pretty flat bottom. Great wake, but terrible ride in the chop! Looking forward to more room and a much smoother ride!

Exactly. I had a 2006 Malibu V-Ride prior to the Benny. Great little boat in calm water but getting beat up in heavier chop gets old quick. My Bennington doesn't put up a wake like the Malibu did but it pulls better, quicker and smoother without the huge bow rise. Towing tubers and wakeboarders is effortless with the Bennington.

We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with the 200HP Mercury Verado. Our set up is probably as close to yours as there is on the forum. Because the Mercury is a v6, you will find that it has awesome low end power. It gets up and goes IMMEDIATELY with throttle. It also has a very smooth power arc to it, so you don’t feel any real let off until at WOT.

Light load and half tank of gas or less we get to 42-43 mph quickly depending on lake and weather conditions.

8-10 people, gear and full tank of gas, 37-38 mph almost regardless of lake and weather conditions.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised with that v6 Mercury and how powerful it is in all conditions and situations with your set up.

Here's the option list (yes I know it's missing power steering, which I'm sure many of you will say to add from my previous browsing of the forum, we will wait and see how it goes this summer and can always have the dealer add it down the line if we need it, we boat on the same lake as the dealer and do valet service with them, so it won't be an issue!).

Smokey Granite Base with Metallic Silver Accent Panel
Mercury 200 XL
Curved Bimini
Pillowtop Diamond Pressed Upholstery
Swingback Keeper Rail
Bow Rectangular Table
Bow Gate Seat
Diamond Pressed Luxury Recliner
Simrad GPS G05
Elevated Helm Chaise
Illuminated Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Seagrass Slate Full Flooring
Sport Performance System-SPS with Transom Fuel
Battery - Single Switch
Battery - Power Distribution Panel
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Privacy Option
Dock Lights in LED Stainless Housing
Deluxe Ski Tow Bar
Pop Up Cleats - Bow and Aft
Sharkhide
What a beauty!! I bought mine off showroom also, and you will find the dealer preordered boats come well-equipped and pretty much loaded. The dealers know which options are popular and will sell fast. Congrats and enjoy!!

Exactly. I had a 2006 Malibu V-Ride prior to the Benny. Great little boat in calm water but getting beat up in heavier chop gets old quick. My Bennington doesn't put up a wake like the Malibu did but it pulls better, quicker and smoother without the huge bow rise. Towing tubers and wakeboarders is effortless with the Bennington.

Ours is a 2007 vRide! Still have it and will be for sale in a month or so! Had a lot of fun on it, but time to move on to something more comfortable and roomier.

It was easy selling mine as a buddy bought it before I could list it. He loves it.

I get 40mph with our 200hp, but it's the ESP hull which is a little slower (heavier).

Well today was delivery day and we were definitely impressed with the 200 Merc! With 4 adults, 1 child and a full tank of gas we got 38.2 mph.

Everything was great, loved the smooth ride, only issue was the infamous bow gate sliding out of position with nobody in it. I’m going to try some non-slip rubber furniture pads to start and if that doesn’t work, rig up a strap and snap to hold the base in place.

Back