New Bennie 2250RCL......Any comments on Sharkhide??

Corkboy54

Reaction score
Just bought a 2013 2250 RCL. Lots of goodies. Question: I am thinking of putting Sharkhide on the toons before it hits the water. Any comments on this product or others like it? Bring on the warm weather!! Thanks.

Hi Deckhand,

My summer neighbor has used Sharkhide with good results. However, on our RCL (and our past pontoon), we used 'Toon Brite. Stuff is incredible and it's less than half of what Sharkhide will cost you. Going into it's 3rd summer on our past toon, it still shed the green growth like the day it was put on. Since the new 2250 was only in the water for 3 months before we had to pull her, I expect nothing but the same performance. Use a foam brush or spray gun but put on SPARINGLY! It's very thin so drips must be watched. Shop the internet and you can get a gallon for <$65.00.

Thanks for the feedback. Heard lots about Sharkhide but seems to have issues with rubbing off and not lasting long. Can you tell me more about "toon brite"??

My boat will be on a lift so I passed on having it applied.

Deckhand,

Go to Overton's or the web and read the specs on 'Toon Brite. Good stuff and FAR less $$. As far as rubbing off/scuffing, any protectant you apply to the toons will "wear" if your dock bumpers continually chaff against it. But to keep your logs shining and looking like new, metal protection is the way to do it. Toon Brite label says 3+ years for expected life of the sealant. Like the last post, I too, keep her on a lift during the week but you'll never have an issue with the toons coated. It's simple, effective and you'll never have to Zing-acid wash again. No matter what product you use, wash your logs well, thoroughly wipe them with thinner/acetone (change the rag often), protect your trailer and seal away. Good luck.

My toon will be on a lift as well. Just want to keep it looking pristine as long as I can. This is my 1st ponton and 1st Bennington so I plan on taking the best care of her! Thanks for the input.

I just added it to my order . I figured 200 bucks let them do it at the factory before assembly that should allow them to coat the entire pontoon ,instead of me just coating the exposed portion after delivery .

The sharkhide is applied at the dealer.

Mine was actually applied at Bennington but you can do it either way.

Yup done at Bennington.

I was told that mine would be done at the factory .

The dealer said he was looking in to them doing it after market this year .

My is being done at the factory for a lot less than what the dealer wanted.

Had the dealer do it last year and it came out at the end of year looking great but then used a strong solvent on it to get every last bit of discoloration off and am going to reaply myself this year. For a guy that doesn't like to wash down the toons every weekend this way works for me

we had the factory put it on they did miss a few spots dealer is going to touch it up the bottoms are rubbed off from sand and the trailer bunks and lots of scratches from dock rubbing

seems to be holding up well compared to the boats I have seen without the sharkhide.

I have polished mine to a mirror shine twice now, and it starts showing oxidation in a week or so without any sealant. In 2-3 weeks, you can hardly tell you polished them. I won't be doing that again without sealing it with Sharkhide or equivalent. The three year comment above on the Toon Brite sounds great. It's a lot of work to polish them..

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaydano, I was meticulous on applying the sharkhide and it took about 9- minutes to apply, I have hardly touched my toons since

My is being done at the factory for a lot less than what the dealer wanted.
The dealer needs to thoroughly clean the logs prior to application. Even if new, logs get exposed to elements during shipping.

Back