New Bennington-dealer discounts

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I received around a 4-5% 'discount' off MSRP with my $36,000 SLG order last month. While poking around, I've discovered that Bennington seems to have higher prices on identical options on higher-end models. For instance, a Garmin Striker 4 Fish Graph has an MSRP of $311 on an S-series boat. But a Striker 4 has a $360 MSRP on an L-series boat. I paid $299 for the Striker 4, a 'discount' of 3.86%. On an L-build, that 'discount' would be 17%. So, those of you who are touting double-digit savings off MSRP, I am not so sure the savings are as great as you may think. But, does it matter? Not really to me. I like my dealer. He's right on my lake. And I will have a slip there next year.

If you track it over time, you’ll see it does produce massive savings for many people. You can really negotiate a models price down to nearly the decent spec’d model below it if buying in the right market, and with the right leverage when negotiating on those higher tier models. That said, it isn’t universal because current market, time of year, size of dealer, access to competitors, other important tangible factors (your slip for instance), etc... all play key rolls in whether one can get those nicer deals, or even if those nicer financial deals are worth other possible factors you cannot always put a price tag on.

And don’t overlook, sometimes those crazy negotiated prices are coming on S-models too. My 32.5% off MSRP was on a s-series after all. ;)

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I received around a 4-5% 'discount' off MSRP with my $36,000 SLG order last month. While poking around, I've discovered that Bennington seems to have higher prices on identical options on higher-end models. For instance, a Garmin Striker 4 Fish Graph has an MSRP of $311 on an S-series boat. But a Striker 4 has a $360 MSRP on an L-series boat. I paid $299 for the Striker 4, a 'discount' of 3.86%. On an L-build, that 'discount' would be 17%. So, those of you who are touting double-digit savings off MSRP, I am not so sure the savings are as great as you may think. But, does it matter? Not really to me. I like my dealer. He's right on my lake. And I will have a slip there next year.

Its possible the difference is due to the panels needed for mounting in the different helms. The L may use a “fancier” backplate vs. an S. I know my ”G” uses a formed panel specifically designed to fit my SIMRAD GO5.

My wife was talking about getting a new boat yesterday. I haven’t even shopped them seriously so I’m scared to see what it would cost. Our warranty is up in May so it would be nice to be covered for another 10 years.

My wife was talking about getting a new boat yesterday. I haven’t even shopped them seriously so I’m scared to see what it would cost. Our warranty is up in May so it would be nice to be covered for another 10 years.

Get ready for sticker shock Andy!!!!!!

Its possible the difference is due to the panels needed for mounting in the different helms. The L may use a “fancier” backplate vs. an S. I know my ”G” uses a formed panel specifically designed to fit my SIMRAD GO5.
A plausible theory.

Keep her talking Lakeliving! My wife actually initiated the new boat talks. She was tired of the floorplan and wanted an outboard. I NEVER thought I'd ever get rid of the I/O. If she was talking about a new boat you've got it made brotha!

My wife brought it up last winter . I didn't wait for her to change her mind :cool:

3 Weeks ago I got the fever for a new Bennington. I had a 2012 RCW and the wife said the only way I was getting rid of her boat was if I bought the exact same model/layout. So the search was on. I only found 1 within 500 miles of me (Alabama) and it happened to be in Tennessee, a 2019 RCW, Yamaha 250, loaded but still brand new, 30% discount so I drove up and bought it. Very happy with it. I now had 2 Bennys, so I put the 2012 on Facebook marketplace and sold it for a profit in 2 days. We used it for 3 years, I added items (new lounge seats, new starboard toon) and made money. Someone else said, it is a sellers market right now. Dealers have very little inventory, plus I wasn't going to wait X+ months to get one made.

Financing companies (banks and credit unions) pay the dealership... Either in rate or a flat fee... Rate can be as high as a point or two which can add up real quick on the backend for them...

Dealers that give a cash discount would give the same discount on financing... Not necessarily the same vice versa...

If the discount is better with financing, then go that route and pay the loan off on your first payment... These type of loans do not have pre-payment penalties...

A good salesman/dealer is always going to make you feel special and privileged either way you go, it’s their job and in their best interest... But in the end, they deposit a check into their account either way - directly from you or the bank...

Mike
Retired Car Man :)

Back