New Benny Owner Here - This Forum Rocks!

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section of the site for an introduction, so feel free to move. My wife and I just purchased our first Bennington last weekend. Actually, we just purchased our first real boat. Last spring we did not own any boats at all and since then we've ended up with 2 kayaks, a jon boat and now a 22-foot Bennington. I have become somewhat smitten with water-based recreation and now we have a small fleet! I found a good deal on a 2013 22 SSX 90hp from my local dealer and I take delivery later this month. I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you all for this awesome forum and your contributions to it. It has been incredibly helpful in our pre and post-purchase research. 

I'm out of Salt Lake City, UT, a rarity in the pontoon world, it seems. I'm big into backcountry hiking, backpacking and canyoneering and I'll be using my new 'toon for extended camping trips on the 'big' waters of the western United States: Lake Powell, Grand Teton, Yellowstone Lake, etc. I run an outdoors forum called Backcountry Post and work as a self-employed photographer and hiking trail guide author full time, so I'll hopefully be coming back with great pictures and stories from the pontoon trips to share with you all.

Now if I've learned anything from reading other threads here, this post is worthless without pics, right? Well I only have pics of the new boat in the showroom, so here's a couple. I'll get some of her on the water next month.

boat1.jpg boat2.JPG

And here's where I'll be heading for the maiden voyage at the beginning of March. The last time I was out on Powell, it was a multiday kayaking/backpacking trip and I just sat on the shore dreaming of where I could get to with a motor. :) For those that don't know, Lake Powell is something like 175 miles long with nearly 2000 miles of shoreline and close to 100 side canyons to explore. 

powell1.jpg powell2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new Benny and welcome to the forum. What stands out here, is that we are all are proud Bennington owners and we actively participate in the forum. This makes for an active and fun community filled with lots of great information. We look forward to your continued participation.

David

Great intro and welcome to the forum. The new boat looks great! Can't wait to see some photos from you in the future.

bcpnick..............

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new toon!

Congrats on your new benny and best of luck. I would love to be boating there the scenery is spectacular! Just curious about what seems to be a water line on the shoreline! has there been a drought or just usual fluctuation. We were out kayaking on the intercoastal in florida Monday, great day saw turtels,dolphins,and a manatee.Good Luck bcpnick

welcome to the world of Bennington. I know you will be well pleased with the best pontoon boat made. I know we all are. and the forum is such a great place to talk shop about our investments

you have picked out a great looking boat and an excellent engine package. I have always wanted to visit lake powell. maybe this year I can, and if I do I will certainly look you up.in the mean time, enjoy your bnew benni and don't hesitate to ask any questions about it. everyone here will be more than happy to help with any problem or idea you may have. welcome to the forum.!!!

Welcome and enjoy the new boat!

Jack

Welcome and congrats on the new toon!  Was that the Admiral sitting on your new boat?     :D  Great pics.

Welcome aboard Nick!

I'm going to make two predictions:

#1) The forum just found its new "Gee West"

#2) By the end of next boating season, Nick will have a fourth job as a boating trail guide author.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome! That is indeed the admiral sitting on the boat. She grew up on the shores of Powell (her parents ran a boat storage business) so she was the one who actually spearheaded the decision to get a pontoon. 

Congrats on your new benny and best of luck. I would love to be boating there the scenery is spectacular! Just curious about what seems to be a water line on the shoreline! has there been a drought or just usual fluctuation. We were out kayaking on the intercoastal in florida Monday, great day saw turtels,dolphins,and a manatee.Good Luck bcpnick
Yes, that is the high water mark on Powell. We've been in a pretty bad drought for the last decade or so. It was about 100 feet below full pool in those photos (Sept 2013) and it's about 120 feet below right now. That's not that bad though, there are a lot of fantastic things to see that would normally be underwater at higher levels. This pic below is from a canyon I hiked last April that would normally be inaccessible in higher water. The low levels actually motivated me to buy a boat now so I can get into the more remote canyons and see it all while I can. :)

fifty.jpg

Great photos on your site and your forum. I was in Provo back in July for work (Xactware is a vendor we use) and thought that was a really beautiful area. We went on that hike that leads up to the Y. You sure burn thru a bottle of water quick on that hike when the temp is 102!

Congratulations on your purchase a lot of pontoons! Powell is a beautiful lake, it would take years to really explore it. I visited a small part of it a few years ago and I didn't see a lot of pontoons, but there were quite a few houseboats. Looks like a great place to boat in a pontoon though.

Welcome to the Family and nice choice. Looks like a sweet toon. Can't wait to see more pics !!

Congrats and welcome.  :D   

Welcome aboard bcpnick!  Agree with kaydano, really looking forward to seeing your pictures over the coming season.  Your shots of Lake Powell are spectacular.

Yay! Another picture taker!! We were lacking slightly in the beautiful scenery department since Gee's departure. What kind of gear are you shooting?

Well I'm happy to contribute photos in lieu of my current lack of pontoon & boating knowledge!

When I'm pretty sure I can keep my camera out of the water, I usually shoot with a Canon 6D and a 16-35 f2.8 II L or a 24-105 f4 L lens. The 16-35 is usually my go-to for the outdoors, especially when I get into narrow canyons, which is often the goal. I hope to get a lot of great shots out on the lake this spring & summer, but in the mean time, here's a few of my favorites off the lake. 

Hmmm, I was going to add a few more photos but it looks like the site won't let me add any more to this thread and it's not liking my links to external images either. :( Let's try a link to one of my trip reports with some of my favorite shots. You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the good stuff: 

EDIT: Nope. That link got removed when I posted it too. Sorry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
you can go to the gallery section and create a folder there, then upload them into there. once that is done you can just click on the "my media" tab when you are typing up a post (its right above this beside the happy face) and link them that way. I haven't been able to "quote" anyone's posts lately, maybe its just me

you can go to the gallery section and create a folder there, then upload them into there. once that is done you can just click on the "my media" tab when you are typing up a post (its right above this beside the happy face) and link them that way. I haven't been able to "quote" anyone's posts lately, maybe its just me
Yup..... Just you ..... Lol !!!!!

Back