New boat inspection

Outabounds68

Reaction score
Just read another post and thought I should ask the question.

What are the main things (most overlooked) that you need to look for when picking up your boat from a dealership? Hindsight is always easy but when doing something for the first time and you look back and realize I should’ve noticed this or that.

Thank you for the help.

Here were the one main thing off on mine that I didn’t catch and wish I had at inspection/pick up:

(1) I had sharkhide on tubes, but square area (maybe 1’x2’ on portside tube must have been missed or rubbed off in transit. Discolored. Didn’t notice at pick up, but shortly thereafter. Said something at 20 hour service. 1 year later, waiting to hear the resolution from dealer/Bennington...

If I remember right Kaydano wrote a list for this, I searched but couldn't find it. Kaydano can you help

Take a copy of the build sheet with you and go over it item by item, sounds silly but make sure you got everything you’re paying for plus it may remind you of something you may or may not have asked for. My Evinrude came with a paper trail that the dealer had to water test and verify the rpm, prop size, type of oil, etc. Open the tops, have the dealer show you how to repack it. Install the mooring cover so you know how it’s Supposed to go on and removed. From there on just start front to back for for quality control and a lot of..... hey hows this work!! :)

Depends on how picky you want to be. Look for marks/scratches on seats and hard surfaces. Make sure they test all the lights with you there so you can make sure they work. Also test your gauges to make sure they all work the way they should.
Make sure none of your gates rub, but open and close freely. Check the Bimini for opening and closing problems.

Just take your time and don't be afraid to point stuff out. Congrats!

Back