New Boat Owners on Vaca and having issues

Megan Pruitt

Reaction score
Hello to all. Have a new Tri-toon and just took it on our first lake vacation and we are having an issue and wanted to see if this group could give any insight.

Tonight the motor just kept on quitting on us but all other electrical (trim, bag, radio) worked fine. The motor would just die but then we could get it back on. Would randomly turn off and we could not figure out a rhyme or reason.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

sounds like other a fuel problem check the fuel line to be sure it is tight in the full plug of the engine or maybe a lose contact at the battery

It would perhaps be helpful if we knew more details, like type and age of engine, age of boat, recent service, location, where’d you last buy fuel,...

Also if it was at a particular speed, any alarm sounds, did it go into "limp mode" (reduce power) before or when restarted, does it restart right away or do you have to wait a minute, as mentioned what motor, do you have a water / fuel separator filter. Any surging right before it turns off? When restarting does it take a little longer in cranking time (wondering as stated about it repriming fuel)

It would perhaps be helpful if we knew more details, like type and age of engine, age of boat, recent service, location, where’d you last buy fuel,...

Brand new, barely any hours, filled it up twice with non ethanol gas haven’t even hit our hour requirement for our first service.

Sounds like a fuel issue or perhaps a loose wire connection to me. I'd check that all of the wiring harnesses are plugged in all of the way. Also make sure that all the ground terminals are tight at the ground block. Check for possible kinks in the fuel line. You should also check the kill switch by the ignition to make sure that it's in the proper position. Maybe try toggling it a few times. Check the connections at the ignition. If it were me I'd start it up and start at the front and work my way to the back wiggling wires and connectors until you can make it shut off and replicate the problem. If you don't find any loose connections and the fuel lines look good then you'll probably have to get into more detailed trouble shooting like checking fuel pressure, proper spark, ect.
Sorry about your luck, I know it's frustrating, but unfortunately there's sometimes a few little bugs to work out initially.

I would let the dealer know the problems you are experiencing ASAP.

Ditto Mike above on it. Brand new. Let them deal with it.

Back