new boat

punetoon

Reaction score
I am also getting excited, picking up my 2575rcw on sat. I put a 300 merc w/jack plate can't wait to see how she runs

I am also getting excited, picking up my 2575rcw on sat. I put a 300 merc w/jack plate can't wait to see how she runs
The 300X was said to have a nominal 340 HP, out of the box. The Xs is maybe a little less. However, Horsepower to Wt. ratio, Mercury vs. Yamaha argues well for Mercury. One hidden benefit Yamaha brings is contribution to CG. The extra Wt. moves the CG. aft, raising the bow, thereby, less wetted running surface.

That said, subject to the amount of "set back" with your Jack Plate, similar results will be created. A longer lever arm will not only effect CG, but put the prop into cleaner water. Clean water is critical for tuning "Prop Slip". Of course, a longer lever arm, such as 12" increases transom torque stress. IMHO, a hydraulic, 4" set back offers advantages, ground clearance being first. Clean water and CG may not see much change.

I would like to see an optional step or hydraulic trim tab on the center tube, starting at the bilge bulkhead, running to the transom. Such would eliminate the effective "Hook", provide CG control and induce cleaner water w/a 4" set back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back