New Boat

BEBOB

Reaction score
I am having my family's first Bennington being built this winter. It is going to be a G23 with a 150 HP Merc on it. I like to pull cranks for both Walleye and Crappie. Can anyone tell me what speed my new boat will go at a minimum? Hoping to keep it at around 1.5 mph.

Welcome. I believe if you want 1.5 mph, you're going to need a trolling motor.

I have a G22 and a 200. I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine idles about 4mph in gear.

Same here with the 4mph at idle. I've found that if you trim up a ton at idle and create some prop wash at the surface you can get the speed to 2 ish if I recall.

My 2017 24sfx wiyh a Merc 150 idles at just over 2mph. I am on a windy lake so if going into the wind I can troll at about 1.5 mph.

I am having my family's first Bennington being built this winter. It is going to be a G23 with a 150 HP Merc on it. I like to pull cranks for both Walleye and Crappie. Can anyone tell me what speed my new boat will go at a minimum? Hoping to keep it at around 1.5 mph.
Kinda got a chuckle out of this post ! Everyone else wants to go faster, BEBOB slower.

I have a 21 ft, with 115 Yamaha that I just got at the end of the season. It get’s down to about 2. I’m hoping the walleye in my lake are doing some exercises for next year to keep up. Otherwise will have to drift. The option to add a trolling motor are not great on my configuration, so I speed troll or I drift.

On my old boat, we used to put it in gear and then if it was going too fast take it out of gear and let it coast for a bit. We caught a lot of salmon outside the Golden Gate ( San Francisco) doing this.

Cant remember where but I have seen a type of parachute that is used to create drag and slow the boat for trolling. Might be able to DIY something like this

Semperfi is the one to talk to about going slow. Might save you about $12k, too. ;-)

Maybe of you filled the bow with sand bags and left the ladder down all the time...

Wait! Isn't this exact opposite of the usual new Benny owner question about speed?? I think I have a slight whiplash from the topical directional change.... ;)

Cant remember where but I have seen a type of parachute that is used to create drag and slow the boat for trolling. Might be able to DIY something like this

There's something called a drag / drift sock that people use

Dropped him from 3mph to 1mph

BEBOB Being a new member, Please don't take any of these post personal, you will get more good information on this forum. Some times members just like to have a little fun with each other.

HAHA nothing taken personally here. Thanks for all the feedback. My wife is the one who was pushing for a larger motor, I'm just happy being on the water. It sure will come in handy when pulling kids in the tube, plus who doesnt like more speed. I have a drift sock I was planning on using it, its just a little cumbersome. Hard part is now waiting until spring.

Back