New build - quad bench question

JLM007

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here in the process of putting a build together.
We’ve landed on 22 SSRCX (quad bench layout). We looked at many manufacturers and layouts and this seems to work best for our needs - we have two toddlers and will have other young families on the boat. The quad just seemed like the best layout for them to run around and for us to keep an eye on them.
The only hesitation I’m having on the quad layout is the bow area is a bit smaller than the tradition L bench. Particularly the bench in front of the helm which is typically longer on the L bench. Obviously this is because the helm is pushed a bit more forward on this layout opposed to others to accommodate the seat behind the helm on the quad. My questions to those with experience with the quad:
1. Did you ever feel the space in the bow was too tight? We find that when we actually have a few minutes to relax, we end up in the bow and want to make sure there is enough space for at least 4-5 adults to sit comfortably.
2. I’ve read a few threads here on the bow seat filler cushion. Seems like a simple fix if space is a concerned but there are pros and cons to those. Anyone running that setup and like it?
3. Lastly, looking at the build site, it appears you only begin to gain space in the bow when going from 22’ - 23’. I’ll confirm this with my rep/Bennington but does anyone have any insight here? I was unable to track down exact layout measurements on Bennington’s site.

Thanks in advance! My first sport here but I’ve been spending plenty of time reading threads which have helped immensely during the build process!

If you go quad I recommend 23 R series or 24 S, or L series, or bigger (Those are all the same size, just the way Bennington badges some series differently). In a Q you loose interior room due to curved front so I would go 25 in the Q. Smaller then that the bench in front of helm is too small for my liking. I got a 24LXSR and wanted to be able to lay down with enough space for my legs to be down flat, being 6’6” it is enough space and I am very happy. I also recommend the bow filler seat. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
We looked at many different sizes of Stern Radius seating layouts, and the 22S/SX/L is the perfect size, IMO.

We have a family of 5, but will have up to 9-10 people (a mix of 3-5 adults and 3-6 children/teenagers) aboard at most outings.

It really comes down to your personal preference, so the best thing to do is head to your nearest dealer(s) and lay eyes and hands on the various bench lengths to make the determination of which will work best for your needs.

I have a 22SSRX with the quad bench layout and I want to say all the benches are the same size, at least close enough that I can't tell that they are different if they are. 2 people can comfortably sit in each bench with plenty of room. 3 people is fine, too. I've had 10 people (8 adults, 2 kids) at one time and no one looked cramped for space.

I agree its best to go and sit on the different sizes, some people do not mind all the 4 benches being the same size, I found them too small for my liking personally. I wanted front to be big enough for an adult to lay on comfortably which the ones on the S or L 22 are not big enough for that. They are however plenty for 2 adults to sit on. I had an 21SL before my current 24LXSR and I liked having the larger lounger in front on my the 21SL model and I needed to go 24 S, L or 23 R to get a front bench that would come close to the size on a quad bench that I had in my prior pontoon. Only reason I recommend the size I did is because I had the same wants as it seems you do to have a front bench that is larger like they are on the L lounge models.

Last edited:
We had considered the Stern Radius layout back in 2017, but didn’t go with it. Thus, I don’t have personal experience to relate. Based on what we sat in, and looked at, I think people above are providing great insights.

Overall, you are likelly going to be more than fine with decent sized groups of people sitting around a 22’ SSRCX. However, if you think you’d like the ability to lay down or lay out on the seat (I think an important consideration), then I think Carlson’s advise above is very insightful.

If we had went with the Stern Radius layout in 2017, we would have gone with a 24’ S-series for that reason. We did do 24’ S-series anyway, just in a different layout (24’ SSBXP). However, we did it for space and laying down on seating reasons, as well as smoothness of ride in rougher water conditions, on our boat.

Based on your concern, if you can move up to a 24’ SSRCX instead of the 22’, you 100% should be fine with seating. If you stay with the 22’ SSRCX game plan, you should be fine for general seating, but maybe feel it being a bit less than you’d prefer on limited occasions or when someone wants to layout on the seat. An added bonus of longer boats is they glide across rougher waves more smoothly than the shorter pontoons. That may or may not be a consideration for you depending on the body(s) of water and type of boating you plan to do. If I’d had the budget, I would have went slightly longer with a bigger motor myself.

Finally, since seating space in particular is a concern of yours, it sounds like you are a good candidate for getting the extra bow filler seat. As you’ve seen on different threads, it doesn’t fit snuggly on the s-series, but here are ways to secure it that people have come up with. That said, admittedly, we got the bow filler seat, and it has sat in a guest bedroom now for two years as it never gets used on the boat. We prefer door access instead, and have plenty of room in the rest of the seating 99% of the time.

Wow - I'm overwhelmed by all of the prompt and helpful feedback. Thank you to you all!

We sat in a 22' yesterday with the quad layout and the front did feel just a bit cramped. Not a deal breaker but if it got me thinking about going a bit larger if I want to "future proof" the boat for when the kids get bigger and we have more people on board.

I actually got a Bennington rep on the phone today and he confirmed that bumping up from a 22SSRCX to a 23SSRCX will gain an additional 10" on the starboard bow bench. Which is exactly what were were hoping for. 10" doesn't sound like much but goes a long way with fitting another little one in the space if needed. Somewhat surprisingly, going from the 22" to the 23" also provide another 16" on the long port bench. Again, we were more concerned with the bow but this is an added bonus. What I didn't notice in the photos that the rep pointed out to me is that when moving up in size, they take the space from the bow area outside of the gate/playpen. Which am 100% ok with as I feel it's more than ample up there (that often goes underused, unlike the extended aft which is a game changer) and would rather have the space in the seating/benches.

Against, my better judgement (ha) I'm tempted to ask the next question - now that I'm going up in size do I need to up the motor from the 150 that's currently in the build? Planning on doing SPS package (SPS premium doesn't seem to add much other than thicker tubes) and like many others before me, on the fence for the power steering assist. I know the overwhelming majority here seems to be to add the power steering assist but a few dealers I've spoken to said with a 23' the 150 HP without it is totally fine for what we're trying to do. Feel free to take the bait here or ignore - plenty of other threads I've seen where you guys cover this extensively!

Also pay attention to the rear decks. Some are square standard, some extended. Look at third from left vs. other 3 on second set of overview. 2 right hand units on first set of overviews. This can make a big difference in rear deck usage!

Also pay attention to the rear decks. Some are square standard, some extended. Look at third from left vs. other 3 on second set of overview. 2 right hand units on first set of overviews. This can make a big difference in rear deck usage!

Good callout! We we're actually convinced throughout the build process that we wanted the extended aft deck. However, the 22SSRCX we were on yesterday didn't have one and I was surprised at the amount of space on the standard aft deck. We still might spring of the extended at a ~$1,200 uncharge just to have more room to dock and load/unload the kids out of the water but it's good to know we can remove it if needed to stay within our budget.

Against, my better judgement (ha) I'm tempted to ask the next question - now that I'm going up in size do I need to up the motor from the 150 that's currently in the build? Planning on doing SPS package (SPS premium doesn't seem to add much other than thicker tubes) and like many others before me, on the fence for the power steering assist.

If you selected the VMax 150, then go with the VMax 175, since it's only a few hundred more.

For the 2.8L Yamaha engines, every bump is around 2-5 MPH more, depending on operating conditions.

Tough call for the power assist steering...it'll definitely make a difference, but you have to want that difference and be willing to shell out the added cost for it.

Be wary of the pictures that I posted earlier: the extended deck is not standard equipment despite what is shown. It's only standard on the Fast Back variants.

I’ll bite. Too much downtime on my hands. :p

When we decided to be on a 24’ with SPS we also then pushed up from a 150 to the 200. I think it is worth it. However, in terms of “what you can do with the boat”, probably no different. If you can do it with the 200, you can still do it with the 150 on that size boat.

In terms of RPM’s at cruising speed, Torq, WOT, hole shot....all a little better with moving up to a 200 if staying with the normal SPS hull. Fuel efficiency, would stay slightly better staying with the 150, but it will work harder during WOT, water sports, etc...

Perhaps something to consider is future proofing for kids as they grow and have friends tubing, skiing, etc... I think the larger HP would future slightly proof for water sports as kids grow. Much nicer to maintaining speed and power in twisty-turns with big towables and adult size/teen size riders.

I am a big advocate for the power assist steering. I would add it to a 150 as well. However, if you move up to a 23-24’ with SPS and a 200HP motor, then I would 100% push for the power assist. The more HP, the more helpful it is. The longer the boat, the nicer it is. On top of that, by doing it at purchase, you wrap that system into the 10 year warranty vs. deciding you want to add it later, but then its not covered under the warranty.

That’s my two cents. It wont buy you much of anything. Ha,ha.

I must add if you go 200 go with v6 VMAX or go for 175 VMAX over the 4 cylinder 200 IMO since those two will preform similar and the 175 VMAX is cheaper. You will not regret power steering too.

I must add if you go 200 go with v6 VMAX or go for 175 VMAX over the 4 cylinder 200 IMO since those two will preform similar and the 175 VMAX is cheaper. You will not regret power steering too.

I'd say that depends on intention. If the plan is to sell it off in a handful of years to upgrade to a higher trim level boat, then a 200 (F or VF) will add a ton of value, since people see "200" amongst a sea of 90s-175s and start getting antsy.

Otherwise, your advice is spot on and the VF175 is a great and cost-effective alternative to the F200 and will provide a similar performance experience, whereas the VF200 will have the torque to turn a bigger prop and step things up a notch or three.

The extended aft deck was a must have for us when we upgraded (along with seagrass), luckily it was standard on the GCW, or we would have gladly forked out the extra. Especially nice for extra storage if we ever do an ICW cruise someday.

Thanks again for all the feedback, everyone.
Seeing as we started out in June with a $15K budget for a used bow rider and are now in September close to finalizing a build on a new Bennington in the the $55K-$60K range, I have to cap the budget somewhere! But, alas, that 'toon sailed a long time ago.

While I'd love to go to the 175 HP or above, I'm pretty confident the 150 HP satisfy our needs. Our rationale after that for upgades was to add anything we can't add later - below deck storage, extended aft platform, upping the size from 22' - 23', etc. Privacy chaise for the Mrs. and kiddos doesn't fall into that category but we think we'll make good use of it. Was on the fence with with bow filler seat but added it anyway.

I'll put my flame suit on now...we're going to forego the power steering assist. All good arguments here for adding it, especiially, during the build, but the $3K+ got to be too much at this point. Could we have foregone some of the upgrades above to add it - sure, crossed my mind. But in the end, I think we have the right boat for our family and I'm looking forward to getting in it next season.

A 150 will make you very happy! You will have a beautiful Bennington that your family will love for years to come! Congratulations, welcome to the Bennington family and happy pontooning!

Be sure you verify what kind of prop they intend on fitting.

If I recall correctly, the best all-arounder prop for the Yamaha 2.8L engines is the SDS 14.5x15.

You are wise to draw some lines, as it is so easy to keep pricing it upwards. It is even easier for outsiders like me to suggest items pricing YOUR boat upwards. You’ll have a great boat, and are going to have a blast with it An early congratulations as you finalize your order. Welcome to he fold.

Back