New build - quad bench question

JLM007 welcome to the family! I'm going to make one more pitch for the power steering, at the expense of the in-floor storage. While more storage is always a good thing, we don't have it and except for a very few times do we really miss it. Once or twice a year we do end up with a pair of skis sitting in the isle, but we manage. Admittedly, I've NEVER driven a toon without power steering, but I can tell you that mine drives very smoothly and effort free. Water sports is done with my index finger most of the time. Whatever you decide, I'm quite sure that you're going to enjoy it if you can survive the "waiting".

We have a 2018 23ssbxp (swingback) with SPS and a 150hp Merc (no power steering). If you are going to be into water sports then the infloor storage is really nice to have. It’s huge and keeps the bulky wakeboards, kneeboards, noodles, ect. out of the way. Sometimes I wish I would’ve went with a 200hp but I don’t think that game ever ends. I’m sure people that go with a 200 sometimes wish they would’ve went with a 250 and so on. I didn’t go with the power steering because I spent enough on other things (Sea Legs, blackout pkg, rgb lighting, ect.) and thought I would add it later if needed. It’s been 3 summers now and I still haven’t added it. We do a lot of tubing and water sports with the boat and I manage just fine without it. I’d focus more on things that can’t be added later (in floor storage, extended decks, ect.). That’s my 2 cents.

Enjoy your new boat. The 150 will suit you just fine. Btw did you get the aft deck?

You are wise to draw some lines, as it is so easy to keep pricing it upwards. It is even easier for outsiders like me to suggest items pricing YOUR boat upwards. You’ll have a great boat, and are going to have a blast with it An early congratulations as you finalize your order. Welcome to he fold.

It's definitely easy to keep clicking the check boxes next to upgrades during the build process and lose sight of the total cost in the top right corner, thats for sure! If anything, your advice and that of the other members on this thread (and the countless other threads I've read while doing my research) has already SAVED me money rather than the opposite. A great group here with an invaluable wealth of knowledge. Thanks again to you all!

Maybe click the boxes of the goodies that you really really want and then negotiate from the "dream build" price with the dealer. A new build will miss the boating season by the time you get it, so order it in November or December if it will help price. The dealer wants to make money even in winter. There are "threads" about prices other members have negotiated elsewhere on this website getting decent reduction from MSRP prices. If local dealer won't budge, maybe shop other Benny dealers. You shouldn't have to pay sticker price, just like buying a new car or truck. Get the good options so you don't regret it later. :p My son in law is buying a brand new travel trailer and will save $7k or so by driving to another state 1400 miles away to get it from a low margin dealer.

Maybe click the boxes of the goodies that you really really want and then negotiate from the "dream build" price with the dealer. A new build will miss the boating season by the time you get it, so order it in November or December if it will help price. The dealer wants to make money even in winter. There are "threads" about prices other members have negotiated elsewhere on this website getting decent reduction from MSRP prices. If local dealer won't budge, maybe shop other Benny dealers. You shouldn't have to pay sticker price, just like buying a new car or truck. Get the good options so you don't regret it later. :p

From what I’ve read here, 20% - 25% seems to be the average off MSRP that folks routinely pay during a new build. That sound about right? I’m right in that range with the local dealer I’m working with. Same for other dealers in the area I’ve received quotes from.

This year is obviously a bit different as it has been a record year for boat sales. I thought that may have put me at a disadvantage from a negotiating standpoint but haven’t found that to be the case with a new build.

Many dealers have said the manufacturers are telling them there are a lot of unknowns going into this winter from a manufacturing standpoint (another shutdown, supply shortage, etc). While I’m sure this is part truth and part sales tactic, I’m finalizing my paperwork on Tuesday to ensure the boat arrives in time for next season.

Enjoy your new boat. The 150 will suit you just fine. Btw did you get the aft deck?

We did go with the extended aft deck! This one fell firmly in the "worth the added cost and can't possibly be added later" category.

While I'm still trying to prevent "budget creep," I'm starting to think bumping up to the LSRC from the SSRCX makes sense given what you get for the cost. The way the dealers structure the discounts to be greater on the higher lines, it will likely only cost $2K - $2.5K to bump up to the L. While there aren't a ton of added features when going to the L, I feel like the upgraded seats alone could justify it. As always, I welcome any thoughts/opinions!

We did go with the extended aft deck! This one fell firmly in the "worth the added cost and can't possibly be added later" category.

While I'm still trying to prevent "budget creep," I'm starting to think bumping up to the LSRC from the SSRCX makes sense given what you get for the cost. The way the dealers structure the discounts to be greater on the higher lines, it will likely only cost $2K - $2.5K to bump up to the L. While there aren't a ton of added features when going to the L, I feel like the upgraded seats alone could justify it. As always, I welcome any thoughts/opinions!

Another thing that is a plus is the L helm is a bit nicer with a longer side console which brings the binacle closer to the captain, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was at 74% of MSRP on my LX when I ordered in June and considering how hot boat sales were I was very happy with that. I think in looks alone the L is worth the cost to change from SX. I do like the standard furniture look in the SX. I love the fence look of the L line. With that said you can’t go wrong with any Bennington.

Back