New Evinrude E-Tec G2 intro

TomS

Reaction score
BRP/Evinrude put on quite a show with the introduction of the new G2 E-Tecs this week.

http://www.boatingindustry.com/top-stories/2014/06/17/evinrude-wows-milwaukee-crowd-with-all-new-e-tec-g2/

Lots of new things, though the configurable styling may be the most radical with something like 400 combinations possible. They are working with OEM builders including Bennington, with the Matador Red Q shown in the first picture below. Power steering is integrated into the midsection, automatic trim, 500 no service interval, etc. It looks like quite a remarkable series of new engines, though the styling would take some getting used to for me.

Derek, here's your chance for that matching red 300 and a Q. Better get busy!

Wonder if they also re-engineered their lower units--famous for no maintenance and mechanical problems?  The Bassmaster Elites running ETEC's have had some problems--on television no less.  I've seen one or two towed in during a tourney.

The "transformer" styling is going to take a while to get used to.  It'll be quite sometime before the engine's readily available to the public.  May be a couple of years before the performance and durability can really be assessed.

Pretty slick!! I'm more of a Crimson Red kinda guy, but its a start!!!

I do not see any reason to go 2 stroke on a pontoon.

I think they're COOL !

Going back to a 2stroke would not be my cup of tea especially on a pontoon

If you change your mind, Derrick, my local dealer will have that boat this week - 

G2.jpg

EDIT to add - Why all the 2 stroke hate?  I know the Etec's had a couple hiccups, but I've been impressed with the ones I've been around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you change your mind, Derrick, my local dealer will have that boat this week - 

attachicon.gif
G2.jpg

EDIT to add - Why all the 2 stroke hate?  I know the Etec's had a couple hiccups, but I've been impressed with the ones I've been around.
I agree. I test drove a competitive boat with an E-Tec 250 and it was terrific. With a blindfold I'm not sure 2 stroke would have come to mind, great torque, quiet, no smoke at all, and started at the touch of the key. Supposedly the new generation is even better.

I never had an outboard on either boat I've owned so I was wondering the same thing about why Bill N and Dano would never want to go back to a 2 stroke. Pros and Cons?!?

They have no advantage over a 4 stroke for pontoon application.

Resale will certainly be less.

I can think of  a few advantages

15% better fuel economy

600ft llbs. of torque

5 year no dealer scheduled maintanence

5 Year warranty

75% fewer emmisions

Just to name a few......

I think the motors look pretty cool. I wish Yamaha would dress up the non SHO models.

As a snowmobiler, I am naturally  fond of 2 strokes.

As a SkiDoo owner I believe BRP is the lead dog is 2-S development.

As a boat owner, I would buy nothing other than a 4-S.

Perfect example....PWC

BRP is the #1 PWC and #1 in 2-S development, yet they show zero interest in an Etec SeaDoo.

If you were looking at a 2 different 3 year old pontoons, one a 4-s & one an  Etec (or Opti or HPDI), which one would you choose?

BRP uses etec in their snowmobiles and the new G2 version was developed using Rotax technology. I believe it will give the 4 strokes a run for their money.

Big advantage is weight. 2 strokes are much ligther then 4 strokes and have same hp and torque ( if not more).  WIth Etec and Optimax 3 star carb emissions compliant same as 4 strokes, it can be a better choice for SOME people.  Its especially revelent in the offshore fishing boat market when you're strapping 2 or 3 or even motors on the transom.

Besides that, I'd run a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke any day due to complexity.  Valve adjustments, oil changes, etc.  2 strokes have been around forever and have solid reliabliity issues (except for the old Evinrude early FICHT years).  Don't care much about resale. Benny will be the main seller in that aspect.   Etec, Opitmax are still valid outboards for Lake Tahoe etc where std 2 stroke carb'd motors are banned.   I really don't see the advantage to be honest.

your mileage may vary. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back