New grandfather - PFD for 6-12 month old

prd2hnt

Reaction score
We became grandparents on 11/1/15. Very excited to welcome Henry to the family.

med_gallery_6303_842_83608.jpg

By the time we put our Bennie back in the water, he'll 7 or 8 moths old. Looking for suggestions for a PFD for him.

Anybody have personal experience with one that you really like?

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and wow that is a lot of hair! I'll have to see what brand we have at home. It has the big flap for behind the head and fits good.

Congratulations, Being Grand Parents is the Ultimate. We have a big time with ours. Im interested in what is recommended for a fellow that young , This spring we will have our Grandson the youngest of 3 on the boat at about 8 months old . Enjoy!!

Congratulations proud2hunt

Thanks for the tip on Stohlquist. They do look like they are well designed.

Now we just have to wait until May to be back on the water. Maybe I'll go out and look at the boat tonight. Might just make things worse though...

Brian

Congrats on joining the Grampa club.    :D    We have 13.​

Most kids life jackets are very uncomfortable as they push up around their necks.

We found the Stearns Puddle Jumper vests to work really well. Not sure if they are Coast Guard approved but they allow the child more mobility and very good buoyancy.

I don't know the make, but have added a few pics from when my grandson was 11 months. Congrats. Being a grandfather is great. As an aside, I am making plans for my oldest GS first hunt.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks everybody. We are excited to have Henry in our lives.

We are compiling a list of vest to look at this coming spring.

Steve, I am in the process of buying Hank his lifetime hunt and fish permit here in Nebraska. Never cheaper than when he is this young.

Brian

Congrats on the new status!!!  Lil Mustang makes great versions of life vests.  Lil legends for infants.  Fits great, lots of support.  Highly recommended

Todd

Congrats on the "Grandparents" status! Nothing even comes close, as a matter of fact, had we known they were this much fun, we'd have had them first!

As for the PFD, our youngest was almost two when he got on our boat. He has a PFD that looks like a combo of "swimmies" (the things that inflate and they put the arms through) PLUS a flotation pad on the back that he uses in the pool. They are Coast Guard approved, and the kids like them because they don't feel like straight jackets. In addition we also have a couple of vest types (zippers up the front) that work up to 30 pound weight of the child). The point is, that there are choices out there.

Congrats! Not a member of the club yet.....

Back