New Guy with questions on 20 or 21'

I highly recommend the 21' sps with 150 if it fits your budget. A 115 with elipticals is a nice ride but sps is better in my opinion.
Been around boating for a long time but new to the toons. In process of selling a 21' center console Kencraft and going to a toon for a more pleasant ride for my wife and not wanting to bust chop going offshore any longer. Just not as much fun as it was and now live on a lake. My question: I would like to know the honest speed of various boats with modest power. Looking at a 2 tube 21 with a 115, 20 SPS with 115 or a 21 elliptical with a 115 or could just to a 150 as I have a 150 yamaha on my current center console an love the motor but looking for compatible speeds with the same 115 Yamaha motor. The boat would mainly be just me and my wife but occasionally up to 5. Looking for a realistic top and cruising speed for a light loaded boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, Jenks,
Allen, I agree the 20 with a 90 is a nice ride will provide a lot of fun with value. You should be very happy with that rig. Jenks, I agree The best of both worlds is the 21 SPS with a 150. Have the Yamaha 150 now and love the engine. When I sell my CC, I want to get into a Toon with no more funds allocated to boats so looking at my options as have other interests and toys. Given that, looking at what I can get for a set amount. I agree the SPS with the 150 would be the fast and best handling however, If I went with the 21 with the Ellips and the 115 then I could cruise much faster than with a 90 and regular tubes and with strakes the handling would also be improved but I agree it would not handle as well as the SPS. The Ellips with strakes are $2500 or so cheaper than the SPS and the 115 is several thou cheaper than the 150. Given that the 115 will give about 3 mph more than the 90 and the Ellips will give about 3 mph more than regular tubes then the 115 with Ellips should get 5-6 more mph at top end and cruise than say Allen's rig and if that is correct then I can live with that...but Just looking at options.

We’ve had a 20SLXP with SPS package and a Yamaha 115 for over a year now... we love it. Top speed around 33 and easily pulls toys for my teenagers. If you have any specific questions let me know.
so, we just went to our local boat show and ordered a 20' SSRX tritoon with sps package 115 hp yamaha. I keep reading here that we could have done better with our decision. it does seem that everyone is saying 150 hp with sps is the only way to go.
You say your setup is certainly more than adequate. My wife and I are in our late 50's and have 2 teenage daughters that like to tube at a less than savage speed, so i am thinking this setup will more than exceed our expectations. My wife and I will be by our selves probably 75% of the time. I'd like to hear more of your experiance this past year with your setup
Rick

so, we just went to our local boat show and ordered a 20' SSRX tritoon with sps package 115 hp yamaha. I keep reading here that we could have done better with our decision. it does seem that everyone is saying 150 hp with sps is the only way to go.
You say your setup is certainly more than adequate. My wife and I are in our late 50's and have 2 teenage daughters that like to tube at a less than savage speed, so i am thinking this setup will more than exceed our expectations. My wife and I will be by our selves probably 75% of the time. I'd like to hear more of your experiance this past year with your setup
Rick
I bought a 21' SSRX with SPS and a 115 yamaha last spring. Our usage is very much like what you say yours will be...it is me and my wife 75% of the time with a neighbor or two thrown in once in a while. Our kids and grandkids pile on a couple of times a summer for cruising, swimming and a little bit of tubing. My thoughts: LOVE the boat! I can top end at around 32-33mph at 5200RPM but we comfortably cruise around at 20-25 most of the time. Given our usage, this boat is the perfect fit! No regrets...

I bought a 21' SSRX with SPS and a 115 yamaha last spring. Our usage is very much like what you say yours will be...it is me and my wife 75% of the time with a neighbor or two thrown in once in a while. Our kids and grandkids pile on a couple of times a summer for cruising, swimming and a little bit of tubing. My thoughts: LOVE the boat! I can top end at around 32-33mph at 5200RPM but we comfortably cruise around at 20-25 most of the time. Given our usage, this boat is the perfect fit! No regrets...
Thanks for the glowing report!! I don’t want to be shamed into thinking I made a mistake in ordering what others believe to be an inferior setup.
Again thanks
Rick

Thanks for the glowing report!! I don’t want to be shamed into thinking I made a mistake in ordering what others believe to be an inferior setup.
Again thanks
Rick

I am sorry you have felt “shamed”. I don’t think anyone has meant to shame you. If you are asking for peoples advice on a forum, you’re going to get it. However, it doesn’t mean its the right advice for you.

I think the opinions you got were from people that feel they made mistakes at one point, and want to help others avoid “their” mistake. However, we all have different goals and needs in our boats, so that doesn’t always translate to others.

Plus, its always easier for all of us to give what we believe to be “helpful” advice when its not our wallet and budget on the line.

I hope you can see that everyone was trying to be helpful, and having been on here for a few years now, I strongly believe that no one tries to “shame” others. I would have been gone long ago if that was the case.

Your buying a Bennington, shame isn’t even in our vocabulary. Hell I have a 20HP on a 23’ GCW Blackout model. If anyone should feel shame, it’s me, but it does what WE need it to do. That’s all that matters!

Again thanks
Rick
Rick,
I think you are in a similar situation as I am/was. I ordered a 20' with a 90 hp on it. 95% of the time, the 90 hp is going to be more than enough for my wife and me as to how we will tool around the lake and use it for fishing. Will there be an occasion or two where we would want more power, of course, but these situations won't justify the added cost of upgrading to more power. As others have mentioned, it will depend on how you plan on using the boat. If you are just going to cruise/tool around the lake majority of the time, your 115 will be plenty. As with your daughters going tubing, it will perform sufficiently, but not like a sport boat designed for skiing/tubing.
Also, I see you are at Lake Camelot. I will be boating every once in a while on Big Roche Cri in Cottonville as one of my wife's best friends has a place on Big Roche Cri. We also are planning to go onto Lake Petenwell and launch near Big Flats (Petenwell County Park). Not too far away from you.

VikinStaff and Semperfi, thank you for the insight into the thoughts and comments of others. I want to opologize for my insensitive comments to all the contributors and members who were just adding their own experiances. I am more than appreciative for the comments that were sent my way. please accept my apology as I will always look forward to everyones helpful tips and advice.
Thank You,
Rick

The downside to the 115 is when you load the boat down with people and stuff. It will really slow down. I have a 22' fishing model with a Merc 150. I put 10 people on it every summer in Canada and it slows down about 8 mph. With a 115, I would be struggling. I know because I used to have a 120HP on my old pontoon. Get what you want but also listen to the advice from people that have been there and done that. PS. Tubing sucks behind a 115.

VikinStaff and Semperfi, thank you for the insight into the thoughts and comments of others. I want to opologize for my insensitive comments to all the contributors and members who were just adding their own experiances. I am more than appreciative for the comments that were sent my way. please accept my apology as I will always look forward to everyones helpful tips and advice.
Thank You,
Rick

You are very welcome. Whatever you decide to go with, everyone here is going to be excited for you, and trust me, will want pictures when you get it. As we always say around here, pictures are a must, or it isn’t true. LOL ;)

We all have different visions, goals and needs in our boats. Once you have the HP that does what you want, anything more is just more money at the gas pump. :D o_O

Rick

Our families sound very similar... PM with any specific questions... be happy to help where I can. Bottom line is the boat is great and we love it... we do some tubing, knee boarding... then relax and swim... with of course food and beverages. During summer we occasionally carry 4-6 people and no issues with boat being underpowered for what we need... normally my wife and I since my oldest works full time (just graduated) and younges away at school.

Our families sound very similar... PM with any specific questions... be happy to help where I can. Bottom line is the boat is great and we love it... we do some tubing, knee boarding... then relax and swim... with of course food and beverages. During summer we occasionally carry 4-6 people and no issues with boat being underpowered for what we need... normally my wife and I since my oldest works full time (just graduated) and younges away at school.

I can't wait to get it delivered and we can take it out. I will certainly contact you with any tips or advice. My wife and Ijust back today from a Boat show looking for a boat lift when we decided to visit a couple of Bennington booths. So, because we wanted a 20 foot pontoon only, We asked them all what is the largest motor we can have on our 20' SSRX. They said a 115 HP with the SPS triple toon performance package. Therefore a 150HP motor or larger isn't even an option like others have pined about. They all agree that with that size boat and setup, it will fly and will more than satisfy our needs. We both will enjoy our choices for years to come!!
Rick

Back