New Magma grill on pedestal mount installed!

hma95

Reaction score
Just installed the new Magma grill we ordered and went with a pedestal mount.  We had a similar setup on our old boat and loved it and used it all the time!  Although it was a different brand grill, it went with the boat when we traded it in.  We grill out a lot on the boat and looking forward to seeing how this grill preforms this weekend because the old one, I think it was a Coleman was a little weak.  We also bought the shelf/cutting board attachment for the spices to sit on while grilling.  It's also nice because it has legs that fold up so if we happen to go on land instead, just pop it off the pole and pop out the legs.  I'll take more pics of it this weekend with it in use.

/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160628_180738223.jpg.0a4e1bb456d77d83bfa5c523f24be806.jpg/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160628_180757801.jpg.ce05dabcd6e44dee8d66ebdafda96f0c.jpg/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160628_180818673.jpg.b797c9c5aa943a724a919ec615396fe3.jpg/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160628_180824361.jpg.6ec525c254fcdf2b365aadeed2d381e6.jpg

Very nice looking set-up! I'm also thinking about doing the same but hesitate for a couple of reasons:

1. Cutting the hole to mount the post.

2. Having the post/grill being in the way.

3. Grease spatters on my bamboo oat flooring.

Obviously, none of those are necessarily insurmountable, but they have combined to keep me on the sidelines so far.

A friend of mine has one of these . It works good ,used it yesterday ,myself I dont want one 

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-A10-205-Original-Stainless-Adjustable/dp/B0018YBUW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467297725&sr=8-1&keywords=boat+grill

81egYN%2BvryL._SL1500_.jpg

Magma makes 2 styles of grills, the other one is the one you posted Jack.

Very nice looking set-up! I'm also thinking about doing the same but hesitate for a couple of reasons:

Obviously, none of those are necessarily insurmountable, but they have combined to keep me on the sidelines so far.

We grilled out on the boat almost every weekend and some weeknights last year and with the old grill we never had any grease splatters.  The entire reason we got the extended aft deck was so we could mount the grill out there  :) .  As for cutting a hole, you don't, you just screw the base of the pedestal to the floor.  You can get other types of mounts, there is a rail mount, but the reason why we didn't go with that is because then you have to take everything off again when you cover the boat up.  We didn't want to mess with that every time.  

Nothing like Wisconsin brats grilling on the grill!!!

I can appreciate your reluctance. I installed a grille (not a Magma) on my last boat. The post did not require a hole in the floor, just 6 screws, but I hated even doing that! The post was removable, however.

I found grilling on the boat to be a hassle that outweighed the benefits. There's really no place, except the rear sun deck, to spread out the tools and "stuff" needed to properly grill. And the time someone spilled hot dog water from the package all over the rear sundeck was the last straw for me. Plus, on windy days, the grill required many relights.

We have discovered many creative and tasty food/snack items that only need to be kept in the cooler (or not at all) and we save the grilling for when we are on solid ground.

Nice setup. Here is where I keep my grill...No grease splatter on the boat once so ever. Works for us :p
SAM_9710_zps8caf73c5.jpg

I'll still stick with my Weber for when I want to cook while boating. It gets used on a sandbar, and when I'm done cooking, it's cleaned up right there and put back in the plastic container to bring home and store until we want to use it again. Not going to make one of those "oh crap" moments like goldenrod was describing, or worse.

71gWqWmu6dL._SL1500_.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

Here is our set up they make a square rail mount for the Magma. We use a outdoor table cloth for the sundeck to protect it. We grill on our boat quite a bit even in very windy conditions never had to relight once. The Magma is the way to go for sure  

Although we spend extended time on the boat, it's usually not while at anchor or beached. And when we do eat on the Benni, like while fishing for example, we eat things previously prepared. So, no need or desire for a grill for us. We do that at home, around the pool. Heck, I don't even grill when tailgating. I just hate to have to carry all that stuff. 

But having said all that, the Magma grills look great in either version. To each their own. Viva la choice!

IMG_2256 (2).jpg

We ended up going with a Magma grill which we'll store below the counter. I was concerned about heat and the potential effect it could have on my counter top but that turned out to be not the case. Even so, I ordered a silicone mat to place under the grill to keep it from scratching the top, keep any grease contained and generally protect everything. I purchased the carrying case, which is big enough to also fit the propane canister, grill tools and salt/pepper, etc. so we just have to worry about bringing the food itself.

IMG_2257.jpg

Not a lot of room on the grill, but so far burgers, brats and hot dogs have been a hit! This unit heats up quickly and does a nice job of cooking. Probably my biggest concern now is someone dropping their plate on the floor, but I guess that's where my hose down feature will come in handy.

I had my reservations about bringing a grill on-board but my wife was really pushing for it. I think the main reason I even have a Bennington is because the "galley" on this boat caught her eye and she wants to use it to its fullest. Overall, I have to admit that this is working for us!

After reading that I'm now hungry! 

Nice set up. My Magma Grill is ready to be installed like yours.. What size screws did you use  # 10 or 12 3/4 stainless steel??  Have they held up since you first installed? thanks

I'm ready to install mine. Like Kaptain Kev, I am wondering
"What size screws did you use # 10 or 12 3/4 stainless steel??"

This thread is almost 8 years old ,and the poster your are asking the question to has not been active on the forum for over a year .
You can send him a PM and hopefully he will respond .
I'm ready to install mine. Like Kaptain Kev, I am wondering
"What size screws did you use # 10 or 12 3/4 stainless steel??"

Back