New member - A couple questions on options

Baja 252

Reaction score
Hello all, great forum.

Looking at ordering a new 22GSR SPS w/ the new V6 Merc 200. I'd like to wait to order and see how people like the engine, but that would mean no boating this year because it's not even out til summer.
Not sure what to do. I was surprised that online (Bennington Build a Boat) the new V6 engine and it's power steering are both less expensive than the Verado and it's power steering option.

What is the "Wavetammer to Bow 3 Upgrade" for $376 and what is the "Sealed lifting Strakes" option for $710?

We have a low roof on our dock and the electric top would be really nice. The dealer doesn't know much and hasn't sold one. I know it's pricey, but does it hold up and work well? It has the 10 year warranty so that's good I guess if it does break. Anyone have that option?

Thanks

We love our 2250 GSR. Sorry I can’t help you with your questions.

I'm curious tell me how it is with the 150, I'm worried it isn't enough power. Most of the time we would just have 2 or 4 people and not much watersports activity. Do you have power steering?

I believe the Verado is a supercharged engine, $$. The Wave-tamer extends the under skinning all the way to the bow, normally the first two cross members are exposed. The lifting strakes are an angled channel that runs the length of the toon and provides a planing surface to lift the boat against the water, in this set up they have a full perimeter weld and solid end cap so they are sealed. If salt water get them, if not don't. A 150 would probably get you about 36-38 mph with a moderate load, 40 by yourself. Either way a fun ride.

Thanks great info. I use in fresh water so there is something I can scratch off. I'm trying to stay in budget, the problem is I just like the G series better.

Unless you are on rough water pretty often (like Lake of the Ozarks rough), I would do without the wavetamer to bow upgrade. We boat on rough water but our ESP without it is still just fine and I much prefer the access to the front underside of the deck that is otherwise all inaccessible. I don't think an SPS would lose enough front bouyancy compared to our ESP to still justify it. Again, unless you were regularly in really rough water.

When asking about the “electric top”, do you mean the electric power Bimini option? If so, I can say we absolutely LOVE it on our boat. Push of a toggle switch and Bimini goes up, and later with the same push of a button comes down. Seems sturdy enough, and certainly is under speed, or simply cruising. As you said, if something goes wrong inside of 10 years, its under warranty as well.

If within the budget, it is a nice convenience. However, that’s all it is - a convenience. If it stretches a budget, you certainly could save money and put the Bimini up and down manually without any big fuss too.

We have a 200 on an SPS hull and love it! 42mph is all I can muster(should of bought the HO!) boat runs 37-38 with 6-7 adults. Wave tamer bow if you’re in rougher water, we’ve haven’t had water over the bow yet but give me time! If you’re in fresh water only you could save the money on sealed strakes. Sorry can’t help on the Merc. My buddy runs a 250 verado and likes it.? The first one on the boat did blow a rod out the side of the motor during delivery, Mercury have them a whole new motor.
An electric Bimini would be a cool feature but not applicable for us.
Welcome to the club!! Pics are a must!!

I'm curious tell me how it is with the 150, I'm worried it isn't enough power. Most of the time we would just have 2 or 4 people and not much watersports activity. Do you have power steering?[/QUOTE

We have 8 grandchildren, with the oldest being 12, since we got this boat they have never said “go faster.” Yes we have power steering and so glad we took the plunge. It was a budget breaker for us but it makes the overall boating experience so much better.

Depends on where you're buying. But if you are mainly going to boat on LOTO, They typically will bump you up in toon gauge. Things may have changed but when I bought mine I had them go with a thicker gauge toon. I think the standard in '14 was .08 and they would bump it up to .1. Not sure if this has changed or not. Something to inquire about. I think they used to have a special package for LOTO too with badging.

Sealed strakes are for saltwater use. And what makes the waves in LOTO worse than any other area with big boats???? Wake is wake right?

Sealed strakes will give you more buoyancy but how much, I don't know. I wouldn't bother with the skinning up to the bow either, the wood will still get wet. Spend the money on Horsepower.

Sealed strakes are for saltwater use. And what makes the waves in LOTO worse than any other area with big boats???? Wake is wake right?

At LOTO in main channel on weekends, picture a not overly wide lake with steep, mostly rock banks where the waves bounce off the sides instead of being dissolved into the banks. Couple that with numerous large cruisers that can have very large wakes, many times converging at different angles and directions...
It's not like wind waves or boat wakes where you can predict direction and such.
This is worst case but on weekends, pretty common and you have to have a boat capable of handling it.

200 horse, SPS, WOT, fly right across em.:D

At LOTO in main channel on weekends, picture a not overly wide lake with steep, mostly rock banks where the waves bounce off the sides instead of being dissolved into the banks. Couple that with numerous large cruisers that can have very large wakes, many times converging at different angles and directions...
It's not like wind waves or boat wakes where you can predict direction and such.
This is worst case but on weekends, pretty common and you have to have a boat capable of handling it.

Sounds terrible!!!!!

I have a 200 Hp Mercury Verado Pro on our Bennington (supercharged V6). It is an aswesome motor. I absolutely recommend it to anyone. It’s not loud, pretty quiet for the horsepower that is back there. With it being a supercharged V6, it gets up and goes when you put down the throttle. Very responsive, which is great for water sports. If not doing water sports, its overkill aside from outrunning storms on big bodies of water - like LOTO.

Of course all the Yamaha and Evinrude people are very happy with theirs too. I don’t think you go wrong with ANY of the main line motors from the major manufacturers.

Sounds terrible!!!!!

We’ve rented Tritoons with second level water slides twice in the past when vacationing on LOTO. We did so on weekdays, not experiencing any bad wake issues. On weekdays, it was AWESOME!

Amazingly scenic, with lots of coves, bays, etc... to explore. Cool low cliffs to jump off of into the water (see below), little islands to visit. It was these experiences that made me want to get a Tritoon vs. V-haul boat when we got our cottage.

A496E740-8EA2-46B8-9072-ED0065CFB881.jpeg

Last edited:
When asking about the “electric top”, do you mean the electric power Bimini option? If so, I can say we absolutely LOVE it on our boat. Push of a toggle switch and Bimini goes up, and later with the same push of a button comes down. Seems sturdy enough, and certainly is under speed, or simply cruising. As you said, if something goes wrong inside of 10 years, its under warranty as well.

If within the budget, it is a nice convenience. However, that’s all it is - a convenience. If it stretches a budget, you certainly could save money and put the Bimini up and down manually without any big fuss too.

Yes, electric Bimini, glad to hear it works well. We have a dock with a low roof, so the top has to go down every time we pull in. The convenience of just hitting a button will be great for the wife. Thanks for the info.

Back