New Member with Pricing Question

Yianni

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member looking to get back into boating. 

We had a Seaswirl Striper 18 years ago and are looking to jump back in.

We've bought 2 motor homes over the years and easily negotiated 27 to 30% off MSRP, which is basically a standard figure off for an RV.

Does this apply to boats? Is there an average number used off MSRP for boats?

Thanks for any help.

Hope to be a Bennington family member next year.

Depends on the market and time of year. You should never be paying msrp for a bennington! Typically a good deal is anything in the 10-20% off range depending on the two factors previously mentioned.

Depends on the market and time of year. You should never be paying msrp for a bennington! Typically a good deal is anything in the 10-20% off range depending on the two factors previously mentioned.

I agree and would add that higher end models G,R,Q  normally have higher discounts to MSRP and it is possible to get as much as 30% off of one of these models. 

Also, to add to my research, are there any preferred dealers? With the brand of motor home we have, there are 3 or 4 discount dealers that many buy from. They always have the best pricing and service. 

I don't have a problem buying out of state if the savings are enough to justify it.

Also, to add to my research, are there any preferred dealers? With the brand of motor home we have, there are 3 or 4 discount dealers that many buy from. They always have the best pricing and service. 

I don't have a problem buying out of state if the savings are enough to justify it.

I know that some have gone out of state to buy boats.But I'm a firm believer that you should try to buy local. You may need service and it's sure nice to have the relation with some one close. And welcome to the forum! Sound like you were a lurker that has come to our side of the fence.

I know that some have gone out of state to buy boats.But I'm a firm believer that you should try to buy local. You may need service and it's sure nice to have the relation with some one close. And welcome to the forum! Sound like you were a lurker that has come to our side of the fence.

I know Bob, I usually give the local guy first shot. We bought our last 2 motorhomes from our local dealer but were armed with pricing from the out of state guys. The local came within 1,000 of the out of state so it was a done deal. 

I actually just found this forum. I started researching pontoon boats and kept coming back to Bennington. I really want an I/O.

I agree to try and buy local if possible. Service and warranty will probably, by most dealers, be handled for their "customers" first. Saving a couple grand might not be such a good deal if you have to drag that boat to a dealer 2-3 hours away to have faster "turnaround" time. 

I also want to keep my "local" dealer in business.

Welcome to the forum Yianni. Yup buy local if you can. It'll be better for you in the long run as far as service like other members have said.

Let me know if you have any I/O questions.......That's all I've ever had.

Yianni I'm not sure where you live but you might want to look at the new four stroke outboards. Super quiet, low maintenance and you don't have to winterize. Welcome to the forum and good luck finding that boat. Did I say they are super quiet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yianni I'm not sure where you live but you might want to look at the new four stroke outboards. Super quiet, low maintenance and you don't have to winterize. Welcome to the forum and good luck finding that boat. Did I say they are super quiet. 

Thanks Cap,

There are several reasons for the I/O. 

We would probably split our time between California and Idaho. I had an I/O Volva Penta Duo Prop on my last boat and loved it. The big decider is my wife likes the clean look of the I/O and the full deck teak swim platform you gain with it. She usually wins on these type of decisions.

We love the look and sound of our I/O.  I don't like the cost to winterize it and know that it won't get used until April.  We had a very mild February in Ohio and could have taken the O/B to the lake without causes any problems.  Didn't though because I would have had to move the snow plow and all the other stuff i stored in front of the trailer.  :p   Next year more stuff needs to go behind the boat. 

Back