New owner here. 2014 2550 RCL with a whopping 24 hours on it!!

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Hi gang,
New owners here. We just picked up a 2014 2550 RCL with a massive 24 hours on it. How about that!!!! It has the 350HP Yamaha F-350 on it. Man, we took it out here in Lake Havasu for the first time yesterday and both of us were in awh as we motored out from the launch ramp. We've had power steering on three of our previous boats but, this one beats them all, hands down. It's truly ONE FINGER operation. I've never even had a car or truck with this easy of steering. And I've had a zillion cars. We love this boat!!!!!!!!! I mean, it's on plain, before I can say PLAIN! I could write pages here on all that we like about it. At this point in time, about the only thing I'd maybe have any negative feelings about is, it sure seems to LIKE FUEL!!
The ride, especially in chop, is OUTSTANING! Again, we've had numerous boats in the past but, this one so far, tops all of them. Also, at this time, about the only thing we've got a small issue on is, the, putting it back on the trailer thing. We're used to V-shaped boats so, putting them back on a trailer was a no brainer. But, this thing is like putting a gymnasium back on the trailer. We'll get it.
As for it eating fuel, well, the prop is a polished Stainless one with the designation: 17-X
16 1/4
Now, in all my boating years, which covers about 40, the first number on a prop, is usually the diameter. The second is the pitch. Well, this is no 17" diameter prop for sure. So, with that being said, I'm pretty sure that this prop is a 16 1/4" diameter and, a 17" pitch. I'm thinking I'm gonna go to a 21" pitch. I know, I know, I have to keep in mind, the engine rpms, LUGGING and all that. As stated, we've been around boats for decades and have changed props on various engine/outdrive combinations for various gains etc. Yes, out of the hole it would be slower but, I'm one day from turning 67 and the wife, well, she's happy to be sitting along for a nice ride so, NO WATER SKIING is in the future for us. So, needless to say, I don't need this massive tri-toon to he a hole shot boat. I'd just like a lot lower rpms for distance cruising. Anyway, glad to be here. Hopefully I can gain some valuable knowledge here too.
Scott

That’s fantastic. And congratulations. Now let’s see pics of this beauty!

Hi gang,
New owners here. We just picked up a 2014 2550 RCL with a massive 24 hours on it. How about that!!!! It has the 350HP Yamaha F-350 on it. Man, we took it out here in Lake Havasu for the first time yesterday and both of us were in awh as we motored out from the launch ramp. We've had power steering on three of our previous boats but, this one beats them all, hands down. It's truly ONE FINGER operation. I've never even had a car or truck with this easy of steering. And I've had a zillion cars. We love this boat!!!!!!!!! I mean, it's on plain, before I can say PLAIN! I could write pages here on all that we like about it. At this point in time, about the only thing I'd maybe have any negative feelings about is, it sure seems to LIKE FUEL!!
The ride, especially in chop, is OUTSTANING! Again, we've had numerous boats in the past but, this one so far, tops all of them. Also, at this time, about the only thing we've got a small issue on is, the, putting it back on the trailer thing. We're used to V-shaped boats so, putting them back on a trailer was a no brainer. But, this thing is like putting a gymnasium back on the trailer. We'll get it.
As for it eating fuel, well, the prop is a polished Stainless one with the designation: 17-X
16 1/4
Now, in all my boating years, which covers about 40, the first number on a prop, is usually the diameter. The second is the pitch. Well, this is no 17" diameter prop for sure. So, with that being said, I'm pretty sure that this prop is a 16 1/4" diameter and, a 17" pitch. I'm thinking I'm gonna go to a 21" pitch. I know, I know, I have to keep in mind, the engine rpms, LUGGING and all that. As stated, we've been around boats for decades and have changed props on various engine/outdrive combinations for various gains etc. Yes, out of the hole it would be slower but, I'm one day from turning 67 and the wife, well, she's happy to be sitting along for a nice ride so, NO WATER SKIING is in the future for us. So, needless to say, I don't need this massive tri-toon to he a hole shot boat. I'd just like a lot lower rpms for distance cruising. Anyway, glad to be here. Hopefully I can gain some valuable knowledge here too.
Scott
How fast will it go with that big motor?

Hey Gang,
Thanks for the great welcome and friendly talk. As far as where we got such a deal, well, it's a sad but, in the way, good story. Long story short, we relocated from San Diego CA to Lake Havasu City AZ over 5 years ago. It didn't take us long to get to mingle with some long term residents here. All have become really good friends. One in particular, had recently purchased this Bennington. Well, his health had prevented him and his wife, from using it anywhere near as much as they'd planned. His health decreased severely over the last year to the point he was house bound.
Way back a few years ago, we'd visited him and his wife at their home and, of course, he lead me to the garage where he had this nice Bennington. I was overwhelmed. I knew he'd not been using it and, I actually made a sort of make-shift offer on it, if and when he/they ever determined it would be better off it they sold it. He was assured, at the time, they'd keep it for a long, long time. Oh well. Fast forward about 2.5 years and, he passed on, due to his cancer. It was a very, very sad day for many folks here in our community. He was very well liked.
Anyway, the wife, not really knowing of my interest in the boat for quite some time, called the local dealer where they'd purchased the boat from. The dealer rep came to their home and looked the boat over which, is pristine, and of course, has darn near ZERO hours on it. For a 5 year old boat, that's unheard of. So, they offered her I guess, what they thought was a "reasonable" offer. She called another mutual friend about their offer. He told her of my interest in the boat. She didn't really know that. So, she called us. Of course I was ecstatic. She offered me the boat for what they were gonna pay her for it. Well, we're in a fair to good financial predicament but, that amount would sting us but, not kill us. So, we went over and took a good look at it. Once we'd confirmed some suspicions of items, placements, layout and more, we said yes.

We took possession of it early Friday evening and went to dinner. We got back home and, went to work cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. While this boat has been stored indoors for every minute of it's non-used life, it was still dirty due to just sitting. It has the newer "Luxury Woven Vinyl" flooring. That floor, was seriously dirty but, if you didn't know it, it would look normal. But, I knew better since I'd installed the same exact flooring in our other boat. So, after some 8 hours of cleaning of the upholstery and floor, we both felt way better. As far as how fast it is capable of with that motor, well, I was just "slightly" disappointed in top speed. I got 47 out of it with it trimmed correctly and, four people and our Schnauzer in it.

But, 47 mph for a large, 25' long tri-toon, is pretty fast, even for the 5.3L 350 HP Yamaha. And again, that's with that particular prop. As soon as we get over the sticker shock, I'm gonna look up and procure, a taller pitched prop for distance running. But, that's in the future. Here's a couple of pics for ya to ponder over. Thanks again for the nice welcome.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3326.JPG
    IMG_3326.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1415.JPG
    IMG_1415.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Welcome Fired Up and thanks for the backstory and pictures. She's a beauty for sure!

Wow! Sweet boat! I’m very sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. I’m sure his spirit will be happy that you have the boat.
Love everything but the fuel bill!

Awesome boat! Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Sad story, but beautiful boat. Welcome aboard!

Thank you all for your very warm welcome. We're not new to boating but, are new to Pontoon/Tri-toon boating for sure. And, this is the very FIRST OUTBOARD we've ever owned. Waaaaaay different than an in-out.
Scott

Congratulations on the tritoon, and condolences regarding the passing of the friend who previously owned it. Looks great in the pictures. The gas bill will take some getting used to.

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful!

Condolences on your loss. Congrats on the boat. Before you change the prop, what is your RPM at full throttle? Prop science sits somewhere between Louisiana voodoo and Native American rain dances and at $500 a pop (pop, prop, whatever), it ain't cheap.

I found having two sets of guide poles helps with loading onto the trailer. With one set at the rear the pontoon wants to pivot but with another set midship it stopped that and is straight every time.

Congrats on the boat. Looks great and while terrible your buddy passed I’m sure he’d be happy a pal now gets to enjoy it.

Thanks again for the very warm welcome. Yes, loosing a good friend is painful. But, I don't know if he now knows it or not but, the wife and I are taking very good care of his boat. Speaking of that, man, this thing is a LARGE boat to wax!
Scott

Back