New Owner, South Mississippi

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Well, although I listed as a new owner, I actually only own 500 dollars worth of my new Bennington. The deposit has been made and hopefully after an engine upgrade and test run next week it will be all ours. Luckily a local dealer sells Bennington, otherwise I would have never happened upon one. I had been looking at a popular line in the area, but after comparing warranty information, construction, and reading owner opinions, I looked no further. As things usually go, I would liked to have bought a bigger faster unit, but my choice was based on my needs and of course my budget. I selected an SF-20 with a 70 Yamaha, and several options that are popular to this area such as vinyl upgrade and Salt water package. Hopefully I will have some enjoyable fishing trips in the local bayous, bays, and rivers, as I live on the coast. I could have bought a Center Console boat for fishing out front, but my S/O has been loving enough to allow me to buy a new Harley, a new Truck, and a new BMW motorcycle over the last few years....so since she has always liked the idea of a pontoon boat, it is her turn.

I will stop rambling for now and log in later to share a post on our first experience. We are both very excited to have the opportunity to share something so fun with our family and friends.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
You will love the pontooning. Lots of room, comfortable seats and they are great in rough water. We take our smaller toon to fish in Canada and it handles the whitecap water better than the cousins center console boat.

You will love the pontooning. Lots of room, comfortable seats and they are great in rough water. We take our smaller toon to fish in Canada and it handles the whitecap water better than the cousins center console boat.
Where in Canada do you haul to?

Where in Canada do you haul to?
Lake Kaggawon on Manitoulin Island. The family has gone there since 1946, never missed a year. The original travelers have all past on but the new generations love it and are bringing their spouses. The pontoon is a great fishing platform. It tows well and the height is just under high vehicle cost on the ferry. So much better than the 16 ft wood boats with a 9.9hp. Used to fish for perch but the small mouth bass have taken over. The fishing is good but the perch taste better. Used to limit out daily on perch now we catch a few a week.

Well we got it three days ago and it has rained since. That did leave us with some time for rigging it out, but that is getting pretty expensive....I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat..LOL. Workmanship and quality look fine, now if it would just stop raining. One thing I would like to know, I bought a flush fixture (rabbit ears) for the engine yesterday, but a friend of mine said the Yamaha 70 4 stroke is best flushed with the water hose adapter and the engine not running. Can anyone verify that? just wondering if I need to take the flush fixture back. This is my first boat with a 4 stroke. I sure dont miss the engine noise!

The flushing procedures (either method) are in your owners manual under maintenance. One is for the whole cooling system and one for the powerhead.

The flushing procedures (either method) are in your owners manual under maintenance. One is for the whole cooling system and one for the powerhead.
Thanks for the direction. I got the manual out today (STILL RAINING) and read it well. Nice not having to run the engine for this. Funny thing though, a buddy of mine bought a boat from another dealer and they spent a lot of time going thru the filters, maintenance, and operation of his Yamaha. He said they were required by Yamaha to do this. My dealer basically handed me the keys after I handed him the check. Not that I cant figure this stuff out, I can fix or maintain most anything. I just figured I would have gotten some sort of instruction from them.

Now that I am a bit more educated, maybe I'll get lucky and launch tomorrow......

Back