New playpen cover

I am not home right now , if you can wait .I have several I can send later . I was thinking check my gallery,on last years SLX

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh heck yeah I can wait....thanks!!!!!  Just send them via personal message on here to me please.  Seriously thanks!!!

Just got email from Tumarcs that the cover is manufactured and getting ready to ship.  20 day turnaround in the busy season is great service.

Well I hope he remembered to sew the rear strap on yours cuz he didn't on mine...even though I specifically asked him to do this.

We didn't have the rear strap.  With the rear loungers, we never had a pooling problem. Our cover is coming from Elkhart, In. The only bummer is that it will not ship until tomorrow.  We are heading down to the boat on Friday and won't be back for 3 weeks.  Hate to have the boat uncovered for 2 months.  

I have the rear loungers ,I have the clips for the strap 

Must have been a design change after 2008.

Got the cover delivered Monday.  The weather is raining all week and we are gone next week, I decided to go the the lake and install the new cover Tuesday morning.  

This is the beginning.  Thanks to SemperFi for the heads up on the tool. 

Two hours later it is done and the boat is protected again.

It went well.  I had a couple of mistakes that were fixable.  I now know how to do something I will probably never do again. 

4 hours to the lake, 2 hour repair, 4 hours home.  Just a typical not new boat owners' day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they sew the rear strap on yours?  I'm still ticked he didn't on mine and I texted him about it and he never responded back.  Last time I do business with them.

I didn't ask them to.  Also my original did not have it, so their pattern would not have it.  I have not had any pooling problem so I did not ask for them guess where to put it.  

I understand your frustration.  I dealt with PA first, It did take a few phone calls.  They told me to contact Elkhart and the service was first rate.  20 calendar days from ordering to delivery at the end of May is outstanding.   

Keith, do you still need the tool?  If anybody else is DIY replacing a top, PM me about borrowing the snap tool.  

PA was the one (Mike) who I delt with and who did my cover.

Thanks a ton for the offer but I actually have a local canvas company coming to my house on Monday to install the snaps for me....which is awesome cuz he's gonna install them with the boat in the water since I have two docks and that swim platform on the stern so I assured him he wouldn't have to get in the water....pretty sweet cuz obviously that means I don't have to go through the pain of taking the boat out of the water and then back in.  My wife and I work full time plus she is doing her masters and we have twin 2 year olds.....pretty busy lives right now....just don't have the time to install them myelf but again THANKS for the offer!!!

Wow....what a nightmare it has been dealing with Tumacs in PA.

I never bothered making sure the cover he sent would fit when it arrived 3 weeks ago because Mike @ Tumacs assured me he had the exact pattern for my boat.  So I went ahead and sprayed 303 fabric protectant on it and called my local canvas company to have them come out and install the snaps.  They were nice enough to come to my house to do this so I wouldn't have to pull the boat out and bring it to them.  The earliest they could come was this past Friday.  Well.....when they layed the new cover on my boat they informed me that the cut-outs for the bimini poles are off by a foot!  So I called Mike and he apologized and said something about there being two versions of covers for that boat (really?  how?) and that he would make the other one and expedite it so I would have it by the end of this week.  He said he'd also throw in a gallon of the 303 thta I had already used on my other cover.

The bimini boot cover he made me is also messed up.  The ends come down a good 2 inches shorter than my original one and for some reason he sewed a velcro opening on the bottom center side under where the anchor light is.  The cover is way too tight and thus it's all puckered too tight where that velcro is.  I told him just to have the cut-out where it goes over the light and that's it.

Yes, he's at least 'righting the ship' but what a mess.  I'll never deal with them again.

Thanks for the update ,something to remember for future reference .

So I had someone local here finally install the snaps in the cover I got from Tumacs. Problem. ....there's 5 inches to little material where the cover goes around the front starboard pole for the bimini.....2 inches short on the opposite side. He also should have added about 1/2 inch more material to the bow because man are those snaps tight....so tight that there is one snap on the port bow corner that won't even snap. Also, the added material for where the cover goes over the windshield at the helm isn't far enough to the middle of the boat. I had the guy take the cover to repair it and he gave me a receipt ahead of time for the $90 it will cost thinking Mike at Tumacs would pay for it. Nope. He just told me that I should have sent the cover back to him. That would have cost a decent amount of money to ship that back and forth. The new Bimini boot cover was wrong as well. It's too short on either side by 2 inches where it comes down the poles. Plus for whatever reason he installed a huge velcro slit in the center under the anchor light. He said he'd make me a new one and mail that out Monday. Earlier this week he had the audacity to ask me to post on here to basically advertise for him. Ha! Lesson learned. ...I'll never again have someone other than a local person make a cover for me. It's just that he insisted he has all the patterns for even older Bennington boats. I would not do business with him...ever

Not to beat a dead horse with this guys but again, issues with Mike @ Tumacs in PA.  That new bimini boot cover he just made for me this summer already has a portion of the stiching that has come apart.  Unbelievable.

sorry you had such a disinterested dealer but I am curious as to why you didn't order a new playpen cover from Bennington? Sunbrella is very heavy and were they going to use the quick clip system on your new cover? I am 76 and like  LITE weight and easy. I have a new boat love the quick clip cover but it is still a hassle for us old guys to do every day. I bought a lite weight cover with an elastic band around perimeter with poles very east to put on 303'd it nad for 500 bucks I have a cover I can put on with my wifes help in about 15 minutes, my boat is on a covered lift so its easy to get around the boat to do this, I use the bennington cover when I leave florida for the summer months.

hope your dealer wasn't a Florida dealer

No the cover was made from a guy in PA (see above).  I'm happy with the cover now that everything fits correctly.  It's true that it is a little heavier however I do not have my boat on a lift so it is not covered....meaning my new cover is out in the elements.  The local guy I had do the repairs and install the snaps even commented that he thought it was a nice cover.  It takes me about 10 minutes to completely cover it myself but I'll be 45 next month.

Back