New pontoon owners!

Christina Saurman

Reaction score
Had our boat out for the first time yesterday. After we docked we heard and saw bubbling at the middle weld of one of the pontoons. The salesman told us this is normal due to the strake?

Had our boat out for the first time yesterday. After we docked we heard and saw bubbling at the middle weld of one of the pontoons. The salesman told us this is normal due to the strake?

Any pictures or videos of the issue? That might allow some to chime in more accurately. There are some spots that this might happen in due to strakes, or what not. However, there are certainly many more areas where it wouldn’t and it would be the sign of a bad wield and a leak.

Is it on a lift, in the water docked, or up on a trailer when not in use? If on a trailer, you could move it slightly and listen for water sloshing around in the tube chamber where the bubbling was occurring.

I have not heard of that occurring, it doesn’t on mine. I would request that it be thoroughly checked out.

Agree with others above. Does NOT look right at all, and bubbling up right at that weld seam seems VERY suspicious. Our’s does not do anything similar to that, nor does anyone’s I know. I’d take that picture into the dealership along with the boat to get looks at with it under warranty. Assuming its a small leak, they can fix that pretty easily.

Is it constant or only after cruising?

Till it’s known this is actually a bad weld I’m going to ask members to quit posting as such. The dealer has not even had a chance to look at it as of yet.

My strakes are not sealed, and they bubble when we come off plane as the water fills them up. Freaked me out the first time I noticed it. Got back to the dock in record time!

You could have a bad weld though. See if the other side of the boat does the same thing. Course, you could have two broken welds...

“IF” it is a leak, you should notice a list to that side by now if it was filling with water.

Ours has "bubbled" from the strake as long as we have had our boat. Like Kay we flew back to the dock when we first noticed it. Just have yours checked.

Back