New Prop for my 2275 GCW

JIm_Andrea

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a very gently used 2012 2275 GCW and couldn't be happier with it!  2 nights ago we were out for a night ride and I hit something and bent the 4 blade prop  :(  Ive been searching sites trying to educate myself on outboard props and feel overwhelmed.  The boat has the ESP package with a Yamaha F150 TLR engine.  Any advice on a prop? Im looking for all around performance. 

A 15 pitch Enertia would work well, I love it on our boat which is similar. And........................Welcome to the forum. Many on here use the salt water series Yamaha props also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.. Is yours a 3 or 4 blade?  The prop on mine now is a Solas 14.5 x 15 4 blade. Still learning how to trim it out but couldn't get it over 31-32 mph with just me and my wife on it.  It gets up and planes quickly though. 

Yamaha 3 blade props here. best performance is 14.5 X 15 Yamaha stainless reliance prop. Also have two Yamaha props 15 X15 in black stainless and aluminum but the rpms where a bit low with those on my current boat.

Besides the RPM's being a little low how was the performance? Im totally new to the prop/outboard world.  Owned jet boats my whole life.

It performed good but my current boat is a lot heavier than my old one which is where I lost the rpm at which is why I had to drop 1/2 inch in diameter.

What tube setup do you have?  My last boat was also a 22' with sps tube package which would run 41+- with the 15X15 Black stainless with the same engine as on my current boat, I traded boats but kept and swapped the engine over to the new boat when I got it.

From all I have read, 4 blade props are not a good match for pontoons.

I have a 2012 2275 GCW with the Tri-Toon EPS package  F150 TLR Yamaha.  Currently has a 4 blade Solas 14.5x15 pitch.  I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first pontoon

With the esp you will want to go with what I have then as it is a lot heavier than most other boats. 14.5 X 15 will be what you need to stay with but go with a 3 blade. Tops will be about 37-38 depending on load and conditions with a 150. Every blade is different in angles cups ect ect. I would recommend looking for a Yamaha prop.

Here is the part number for the one that would be best fit for your needs.

Yamaha Reliance stainless 14.5 X 15 prop  68F-45970-00-00

I was looking at that one.  Unfortunately that prop is on backorder until early July...  With my prop in not great condition I need one ASAP.  I don't mind ordering 2 and having a backup.  What would you recommend for a short term prop?  

Try and find a cheap aluminum or black stainless for a spare to run until you can get that one. Maybe look into the Inertia props as well, seems a lot have had good results from them as well.

A mercury prop will work on a Yamaha?

Yes with Hub adapters.

Have you tried 4 blade props at all?

What seems to be the standard stainless prop of choice for Yamaha is the Reliance.  For Mercury, it's the Enertia, which is the one I have (thanks Todd!).

As stated above, you can get prop hub kits to adapt them to whatever motor brand, but if you want to keep things simple, just get the one made by the manufacturer for whichever engine you have.

There may be other props that perform better by third parties, but that takes a lot of testing and research on your part.  If you want to go the simple route and get a good overall stainless performer, go with Reliance for Yamaha or Enertia for Mercuty.  Unless you are a prop geek.  Or wannabe.

If you want to try a 4-blade, and you have a 115 or less, I'd highly recommend the Mercury Spitfire.  It had AWESOME acceleration on my old 115, but I traded that in.  I don't think they make them for the 150 and up.  Maybe they do, but I know they didn't a while back.  I would have gotten one for my spare.

Thank you all for your help. I was able to find a local dealer with an aluminum 15.25 x 15 yamaha factory prop in stock  I installed it yesterday and I will say I noticed a huge loss of acceleration compared to the 4 blade prop I had.  I am sending it out for repairs. When I get it back I plan on spending an afternoon comparing the 2.  Would I see a huge performance difference between the stock aluminum 3 blade 15 pitch and a stainless reliance 3 blade with same pitch?

Aluminum flexes more than SS. 4-blade will grip more but you lose top end.

Ok so I took some time today to test out the 15 x 15 aluminum Yamaha factory prop with just myself in the boat. WOT best speed was 33.4 MPH @ 5800rpm. Cruised 25mph at around 4000rpm. Very calm water little to no wind.  RPM tells me I'm in the right range I guess as far as prop size. 

Ok so I took some time today to test out the 15 x 15 aluminum Yamaha factory prop with just myself in the boat. WOT best speed was 33.4 MPH @ 5800rpm. Cruised 25mph at around 4000rpm. Very calm water little to no wind.  RPM tells me I'm in the right range I guess as far as prop size. 
Your speed seems low to me for your boat and engine.  You could get more speed if you could increase your RPM's.  Are you trimmed up properly at WOT?

Back