New Prop for my 2275 GCW

I played with the trim up and down. I reached that speed with the trim just over half up. Higher or lower and the speed dropped a bit. 

I don't plan on running at WOT all that often.  I will cruise at 25 or so most of the time or be puling toys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to try a 4-blade, and you have a 115 or less, I'd highly recommend the Mercury Spitfire.  It had AWESOME acceleration on my old 115, but I traded that in.  I don't think they make them for the 150 and up.  Maybe they do, but I know they didn't a while back.  I would have gotten one for my spare.
They updated the spitfire specs and now go all the way up to 250hp outboards and Alpha drives.

I got the 4 blade prop back from the shop and was able to do some testing with it the last few days.  It has much better whole shot then the 3 blade stock aluminum prop.  The top speed is so close its negligible.  Top end RPM dropped from 5700 to 5100 at WOT.  My cruise MPH is a little faster with the 4 blade. 18-19 mph at 3500rpm vrs same speed at almost 4000rpm with the 3 blade. 

If you are not near the recommended rpm range at WOT by the engine manufacturer, you can do damage to your engine in the long haul.  There is a great article on this that I cannot find right now.  It basically goes into why even if you are not going to run at WOT, how being way under the rpm range will damage your engine, just like being over it.  I am not sure what Yamaha says the range is for your engine.  5100 seems very low.

5100 is way too low.

For the F150 TLR Yamaha recommends 5000-6000 RPM.  Its also interesting reading everyones posts about trim.  Mine doesn't like much trim at all with either prop on it.  The 3 blade took a little more but with he 4 blade on it i put maybe 1/4 trim on it at best.  Any higher and the speed drops off.  Doesn't affect RPM all that much until I really trim it up hight but by that time lost at least 2-3 mph.  I seem to plane up very quickly regardless of the load.  For example I took a load of friends out the other day.  7 adults 2 kids. Cruised at 18-20 mph at 3800 rpm trimmed at 1/4.  This was middle of the day so water was fairly choppy.  Took my wife out Friday night for dinner so it was just the 2 of us.  Cruised at 18-20 mph at 3500 rpm, water was smooth as glass.  Had 1/4 trim on it then.  I played around with the trim a lot on our way back and anything over 1/4 i lost MPH right away with very little affect on rpm.  Trimmed all the way down I lost 200rpm and speed stayed the same.  

Carl,  may try one of your props. For the most part we have the same boat, length and pontoon setup.  With either prop my max MPH is 35. You are getting close to 5 mph more then I am.

We went to 4 bladed prop because how we use the boat - water sports and floating love it I also leave the trim down as Jim noted you don't lose speed and IMHO you get a better ride in rough water because you are slicing the waves instead of landing on them with the flat bottom of the toon we get big water in Canada and you can feel the difference

For the F150 TLR Yamaha recommends 5000-6000 RPM.  Its also interesting reading everyones posts about trim.  Mine doesn't like much trim at all with either prop on it.  The 3 blade took a little more but with he 4 blade on it i put maybe 1/4 trim on it at best.  Any higher and the speed drops off.  Doesn't affect RPM all that much until I really trim it up hight but by that time lost at least 2-3 mph.  I seem to plane up very quickly regardless of the load.  For example I took a load of friends out the other day.  7 adults 2 kids. Cruised at 18-20 mph at 3800 rpm trimmed at 1/4.  This was middle of the day so water was fairly choppy.  Took my wife out Friday night for dinner so it was just the 2 of us.  Cruised at 18-20 mph at 3500 rpm, water was smooth as glass.  Had 1/4 trim on it then.  I played around with the trim a lot on our way back and anything over 1/4 i lost MPH right away with very little affect on rpm.  Trimmed all the way down I lost 200rpm and speed stayed the same.  

Carl,  may try one of your props. For the most part we have the same boat, length and pontoon setup.  With either prop my max MPH is 35. You are getting close to 5 mph more then I am.
That is a large rpm range.  If you are on the low end, you are leaving a lot of motor on the table.  Prop it to get near the higher end and you will gain more speed and torque.  You are not using the full capacity of your engine.

As a point of information.... I'm running the stock Yamaha black aluminum prop on my 150. Max RPM is 5800 at 38 mph with a full tank and a couple of people aboard.

I am going to be playing with my engine height in a week or two. After reading about where they should ride and looking at mine while at approx. 4800-5k rpm and trimmed around 3/4 I am running about 1.5-2 inches too deep so I am going to raise my engine one hole to start with and possibly 2 holes from looking at things but want to try it in increments to see performance differences. I have a 20" transom with the engine currently mounted as low as it can be which is too low after looking over the back end last weekend. This was while very light loaded and just over 1/4 tank of fuel so very much too low at that point as the cav plate was buried about 2 inches under water yet while at cruising speed plane. I am hoping to hit or break 40 on this boat with the 150 yet. :p

As a point of information.... I'm running the stock Yamaha black aluminum prop on my 150. Max RPM is 5800 at 38 mph with a full tank and a couple of people aboard.
That is the same speed and RPM I get out of the 4 blade prop.  Im going to put the stock 3 blade 15/15 prop back on and do more testing this weekend.  What pitch is your prop??

That is the same speed and RPM I get out of the 4 blade prop.  Im going to put the stock 3 blade 15/15 prop back on and do more testing this weekend.  What pitch is your prop??
I am confused now, I am reading the below as you are only getting 5100 rpm at WOT from your 4 blade?

"Top end RPM dropped from 5700 to 5100 at WOT".

I run a very standard Yamaha 3 blade 14.5x15. You're looking at my mid-range cruise on my instruments.

The bottom line for your motor is it should be turning as close to 6K as possible. With the ESP tube configuration you should be seeing similar WOT performance to mine.

I am confused now, I am reading the below as you are only getting 5100 rpm at WOT from your 4 blade?

"Top end RPM dropped from 5700 to 5100 at WOT".
With the 15x15 3 blade Yamaha aluminum WOT i get 5700-5800rpm and 34-35mph. Cruise 20mph around 3800-4000rpm.  4 blade Solas Stainless 14x17 WOT I get 5000rpm and 32-34mph. Cruise 20mph at 3500rpm. Performance prop shop here that sells the Solas props said this is the prop they would put on my boat if I asked for a 4 blade stainless.  It came on my boat from the previous owner.

With the 15x15 3 blade Yamaha aluminum WOT i get 5700-5800rpm and 34-35mph. Cruise 20mph around 3800-4000rpm.  4 blade Solas Stainless 14x17 WOT I get 5000rpm and 32-34mph. Cruise 20mph at 3500rpm. Performance prop shop here that sells the Solas props said this is the prop they would put on my boat if I asked for a 4 blade stainless.  It came on my boat from the previous owner.
Thanks, understand now.  You are still losing too much performance from your setup, I would prop it to get up near the higher end of rpm range recommended by the OEM.  Your mid range or cruise rpm does not mean much until you get it propped correctly for WOT.

Email Ken at kr@propgods.com  he will let you know what you should be running for your setup.  He is a huge help, he will also send you a prop for testing for I think a $35 fee.  I would listen to him before I would any dealer.

Scott

Call him. I've talked to him before. Very helpful and friendly.

I will do that!  Took the boat out last night.  Lake was smooth as glass... Hit 35mph at 5200rpm 

5200 is toooooooo low.
Im gonna guess your gonna say 4500 at WOT is Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to low... LOL   Had 11 adults on the boat last night.  Nothing made a difference, 4500 at WOT is all she would do.  Im going to order the reliance 14.5x15. 

That can't be good for your motor. You had to be lugging it. Glad you are getting a different prop.

Back