New QX

packman

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new QX at a boat show or at your local dealer? Was interested in initial impressions?

Also, thoughts on 350 HP vs 300. Would you go with larger motor on a 27ft boat?

Has anyone seen the new QX at a boat show or at your local dealer? Was interested in initial impressions?

Also, thoughts on 350 HP vs 300. Would you go with larger motor on a 27ft boat?
Absolutely go with the 350 (Yamaha V8 or Merc Verado) if your budget permits. You'd never regret it.

I agree.  If you can afford the larger motor, go for it.  I've got the Yami 350 on mine and it's quite impressive for an outboard.  I was originally considering the Yami V6 300 but the dealer suggested the 350 over it and I'm glad I spend the extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the boat in Atlanta last weekend. Looks nice, but pricey!! They did sell the one in the show. I did notice there was no cleat or U bolt in center.  Little concerned about a 28 ft boat with no way to tie a rope other than bow and stern? I really like the new swing back lounge option.

I do like all the new interior upholstery options this year. Looking forward to Charlotte show in Feb.

Hi Packman, we're looking into that mid-ship cleat concern...as you saw, the new fiberglass sides do't leave much space for attachments...

See you in Charlotte!

TB 

Hmmmm interesting. My dealer thinks the 350 is not worth the upgrade. Says performance is the same but it burns a lot more fuel than the Yam 300. I really wanted the 350 and I'm considering ordering a new QX. Curious as to what the benefits of the 350 is from owners that have been running it?

I'd be asking them the 5 why's. Makes zero sense him trying to talk you out of unless there is something in it for them.

I have never heard anyone say that they wished they had less horsepower but have heard many say they wished they had more, so go for the 350 if it fits the budget.

Jack

Hmmmm interesting. My dealer thinks the 350 is not worth the upgrade. Says performance is the same but it burns a lot more fuel than the Yam 300. I really wanted the 350 and I'm considering ordering a new QX. Curious as to what the benefits of the 350 is from owners that have been running it?
Yeah I'd be curious to know his reasoning as well.  One argument I've heard is the 350 is much more heavier than the 300 so the extra weight cancels out the HP difference and you don't gain anything other than a larger bill.  And, I've also heard the other side saying the 350 has much more torque and works less than the 300 at the same speed.  I have no idea which, if any, is really the correct answer.  As I stated above, I originally had my heart set on the 300.  I did a lot of research online and read a ton of reviews.  Great motor.  The boat I did the demo on had a 350.  I was impressed to say the least but I think my wife was impressed more so I didn't argue with her when she said she wanted the 350.  I'd actually like to go on a boat with a 300 and see for myself the real differences.  They are both great motors, no doubt about that.  One's a V-6 the other a V-8.  I'm very happy with the 350 and it flat out gets up and moves.  Very impressive for an outboard.  Purrs like a kitten at idle and actually sounds like a big V-8 when you get on it.  And, it gets lots of looks hanging off the back.  I've had several other boaters pull up alongside and ask specifically about the motor.  I know this probably doesn't do much for your decision but my .02 nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a QX on display at Spend A Day marina for the boat show last weekend.  Was a pretty impressive boat....the wife liked the interior and layout but frowned on the price tag.

DSCN4717_zpsgfeaen1k.jpg

DSCN4718_zps6pj4ldvu.jpg

DSCN4704_zpsbcqnnicj.jpg

119K ON SALE for ONLY 92K at the boat show

DSCN4701_zps2ijxtet7.jpg

More Bennington pics (The 30X "Beast") and other stuff in my indian lake boat show post.

Actually that isn't that bad of a price when you look at the price of many of the fiberglass boats out there now

I would like to see one in a different color 

I have been back and forth on the seat cover

That thing is pure SEXY!!

It should have the cladded arch for that price!

I think it could be bought for less . :D

Jack negotiates with a lot of skin and a little grin!

Spend A Day is the marina that is right on the lake where we bought our boat from back in 2014.  Arch boats aren't a real hot seller at our lake since we do have several bridges to go under.....for us an arch boat would be more of a headache than a feature.  At other lakes I'm sure they are a plus if you are into watersports or don't have the low bridges to deal with.

I'm far from being able to discuss a Q model, but as for horsepower, I took the conservative route when I bought my boat and bought the standard 200hp etec. Dealer said he spoke with evinrude, thought the additional weight of the motor would cancel out the performance plus make the boat ride a little lower in the back.(100lbs more) After the fact I spoke with the mechanic and told him the story and he about fell over. Told me the boat would do an easy 4-5 more mph and the weight would of only matched that of a 4 stroke. Oh yeah did I mention it was only $700!!! Long story short, go for the most as you'll only wonder about what it might be like!

Back