New trailer, proper float on adjustment

dmctruby

Reaction score
I purchased a new Karavan trailer, model 2225-39TB. This is a duel axle float on trailer for toons 22-25 ft long. I have a 2010 Bennington model 2250 GCW. The boat is in the water and I don't plan on removing it until fall. I do however want to get the trailer adjusted now. The bunk width can adjusted, and there are 4 "guide-on" posts that can be adjusted front to back, and the entire front stop (with ladder & winch) can be adjusted forward or backwards.

I plan to measure the center distance between the toons so setting the bunk width should be easy. The guide post I can space out like this (1/3 of boat-stern) Post (1/3 of boat middle) Post (1/3 of boat bow ) so the two guide post on each side evenly direct the toon length.

My question is, where do I set the front stop. Should the toons be right at the end of the bunks, or should the toons be forward of the end of the bunk & by how much ?

I set up my hooser trailer so the pontoons were even with the end of the bunks. But i can adjust where the axles are on my trailer to add or remove weight on the truck. I have the axles set to the middle position.

Thank you. I do believe I can adjust my axles and didn't consider that. Would seem to make sense to align toons with the end of the trailer bunks, and then adjust axles to get as neutral a tounge weight as possible. I'll give that a try.

Your tongue weight should be min. 15% of the total weight of your boat. Example 3000 lb boat 450 lb tongue weight. Any less and you could have dangerous sway issues. If you are just towing twice a year for short distances at low speeds this may not be an issue. Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve. Just towing a short distance for put in and take out once a year, but will ensure I have proper weight distribution for safety.

Your tongue weight should be min. 15% of the total weight of your boat. Example 3000 lb boat 450 lb tongue weight. Any less and you could have dangerous sway issues. If you are just towing twice a year for short distances at low speeds this may not be an issue. Good luck

Steve

For my boat and the trailer model as stated, making a mark at 4 3/4 inches from the end of the inside bunk brackets, then aligning that mark on the center mark of the frame rail sets the bunks up to be middle of the toons for proper float on.

bunk1.jpg

bunk2.jpg

Back