New Tritoon. Yamaha 200 or 250?

Comin In Hot

Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a new 23SSBXP with either the Yamaha 200 or 250. Both options would have the electronic controls, hydraulic assisted steering. Bumping up to the 250 would need the sps+ (only a few hundred more than the sps). But the 250 is about $6000 more than the 200. I know everyone says to go with the highest HP rating possible. I believe the 200 is an I4 (about a 100 pounds lighter than the 250 with V6.) What big performance comparisons has anyone seen between these 2 engines? I do plan on using it for tubing, skiing on our lake. And also cruising up and down the Missouri River.

Last edited:
You will never buy HP for less than at the time of order

I agree with Jack.

I have a 200 on my 24’ S with sps and it is an awesome combo.

I’m leaning towards the 200 with the sps. Just not sure if the 250 with the sps+ is going to be worth spending an extra $6000 on.

Well, I've usually favored the idea of "buy as much HP as you can afford." You'll never hear anyone complain about having too much HP. And, resale value is also something to consider. I originally wanted the F300 V-6 and my wife is the one who said "get the 350." I'm very glad I spent the extra money. No regrets whatsoever. The only time I bought the smaller motor(s) was on my SW fishing boat. Twin 150's or twin 200's. I chose the 150's because of less fuel burn and speed wasn't an issue. These things needed to be considered when traversing 100 miles offshore.

Anyways, if I was deciding, I'd get the 250. My .01 1/2.

With the v6 250 weighing almost a 100 pounds more than the I4 I wasn’t sure how big a difference I would see.

I made the mistake of not maxing it out on my current Bennington ( #2 ) .Now #3 is being considered

I went from 200 sps to 300 esp. I was 39 to 41 mph boat with the 200. With the 300, I am a 46 to 48 boat. Your boat will be lighter so will go a little faster. The biggest difference going from V4 to V6 was power with load I can have 10 people on the boat and go 45 mile per hour. I am an if you can afford it go with the more HP guy but you will enjoy that the 200 also.

Last edited:
I noticed on the boat builder the other day the Yamaha Offshore 425 is now available just in case you want a little extra oomph. :D
I think the highest you can go on a s series is the 250 with the sps+. But if the 425 was an option I would probably have to think about it. Lol!

I went from 200 sps to 300 esp. I was 39 to 41 mph boat with the 200. With the 300, I am a 46 to 48 boat. Your boat will be lighter so will go a little faster. The biggest difference going from V4 to V6 was power with load I can have 10 people on the boat and go 45 mile per hour. I am you can afford it go with the more HP guy but you will enjoy that the 200 also.
That is what I’m concerned with. I don’t want to lose the power when the boat is loaded with people. 40-45 mph is fine. I just don’t want 20-25 with it fully loaded.

That is what I’m concerned with. I don’t want to lose the power when the boat is loaded with people. 40-45 mph is fine. I just don’t want 20-25 with it fully loaded.

My 200 with that many people was 35-36 MPH boat. The 200 sps is a great combination. I would still take the 250 if it does not blow the budget.

Then get the 250...

It’s the torque of the 6 cyl that will make the difference while under a full load...

Then get the 250...

It’s the torque of the 6 cyl that will make the difference while under a full load...
That’s what I was thinking but with the added weight of the 250 & the sps+ I’m not sure how much a difference it would be over the the 200 with the sps.

My 200 with that many people was 35-36 MPH boat. The 200 sps is a great combination. I would still take the 250 if it does not blow the budget.
What mph are you getting with a just a few people? And what size of a boat?

I have no interest in a yamaha 425 .

I hit 38 with a 2375 RCWSA with a 150

Last edited:
I get 44 with just me. Mid to upper 30’s with a boat load. Where do you boat? If your down in south east Florida you can come take mine out.

I went from 200 sps to 300 esp. I was 39 to 41 mph boat with the 200. With the 300, I am a 46 to 48 boat. Your boat will be lighter so will go a little faster. The biggest difference going from V4 to V6 was power with load I can have 10 people on the boat and go 45 mile per hour. I am an if you can afford it go with the more HP guy but you will enjoy that the 200 also.

What mph are you getting with a just a few people? And what size of a boat?

I have 23RCW and with a few people 46 to 48. It is an ESP.

I get 44 with just me. Mid to upper 30’s with a boat load. Where do you boat? If your down in south east Florida you can come take mine out.
Those are good numbers. Unfortunately I’m in the Midwest. Would love to be able to boat all year long.

Back