Newbie asks: Dog Ramp; Sign & Accessories

PapaBear

Reaction score
We just made the inevitable concession to maturity and pending grandchildren to trade in our 20 year old Howard 21' 400 HP (80 mph) and "trade-up" to a fully-optioned 18SLi with a 40 HP Big Foot fishing chair, electric motor, fish finder and plenty of cup holders. We'll miss the speed a little but it was also a little cumbersome trolling with a sea anchor attached to the ski pylon and since our vacation home's home lake has a 35 mph speed limit, it's a long overdue upgrade. We could not be more excited!

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I would try and pick the collective brain and experience of the Forum...

1. We need to make some arrangement for our 90 pound Chocolate Lab when he does water retrieving. Has anyone tried to attach a dog ramp for water exiting? We had seen doggydocks and the Dog-On Water Ramp on line. Any thoughts?

2. We wanted to have a custom sign for the boat's name. Where did you mount your signs? Any sugestions or sign-making referrals?

3. Any "must-have" accessories we should consider? Pontoon fenders etc ?

Thanks and Anchors Aweigh!!

Hey PapaBear - welcome to the forum :)

For starters let me say that I "conceded to maturity" a long time ago :D (am sure that doesn't help with your questions tho!)

Can't be much help with a dog ramp (I have a very small Shih Tzu that doesn't like water) but you might want to search the PontoonForums.com site - I recall reading a thread about dog ramps several months ago.

Concerning boat name signs, I had vinyl lettering done at a graphics stores for about $40. If you want an actual sign, search the posts by "Fasttr" on this site. He had a name sign made, posted a picture of it, and lists the website that did it for him.

Concerning accessories, you probably have a good idea of needs being a previous boat owner. If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at vinyl flooring instead of carpet for the pontoon. With fishing and a big wet dog, it would be much easier to keep clean. I have carpet and vinyl flooring on my Bennington and although the carpet looks nice, it really is just a dirt magnet. Even in the Texas 100+ degree heat, I think the vinyl floor is cooler than the carpet.

As for all the other "do-dads" and things for a boat, am sure you are aware there is no end to the things you can buy for it and most everyone has an opinion on which thing is the "best". Ask about specific items and you should get lots of input :p

Have fun and again welcome to the site.

(PS - Guess you have considered that you are going from a very fast boat to a pretty slow boat/setup. For what it is worth, I have a 2275 Bennington and 90 hp Yamaha - fastest I get is about 25mph which already barely amuses my 10 year old grandson)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. One item I consider essential is a grill. I have a Magma, a little pricey but I love it. Nothing like grilling up some burgers and brats on the lake as your watching the sun set. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back