Newbie in need of parking help into boat slip

Just got my new Bennington today. I'm a first time boater. We have a boat slip with a lift and it look me (with my wife's help) about 15 min to get the boat into the slip, and really only after bumping the boat into the slip which caused it to right itself straight. The water was calm and perfect. I know to go slow and with practice, I'll get better, but any tips will really help such as:
  • At what point do you idle the boat and let momentum guide you in?
  • I seem to be going in straight but eventually the stern of the boat seem to veer in one direction (mostly to the starbord side today). Is this because of the small forward or reversing that I'm doing?
  • Should I go at an angle or straight in as I'm approaching the slip?
  • If my bow is straight on but the stern is going another direction, how do I get it going the other direction to right the ship?
Thanks!
I boat on a lake where I have to fight the wind and rough waves. The winds are usually cross winds so I enter the slip at a speed that overcomes the winds, and I reverse the motor before I hit the front of the slip. I also learned not to watch the stern but I watch the bow as I enter the slip. If the bow is straight in the slip ,all is good. For good measure I tie a bumper to each side of the dock so it acts as padding if I do misjudge a little. So far so good. I would rather have a slip where I could idle in but it is what it is, good luck and practice.

Back