NMEA cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benni Newbie

Reaction score
We ordered a NMEA cord with our build two years ago. We have had it in the shop before because it doesn't work. We were told it would monitor the fuel level, engine temperature, trim. etc. We have a Simrad. We currently have analog gages. Do we have to have digital gages in order to make the NMEA cord work?

We ordered a NMEA cord with our build two years ago. We have had it in the shop before because it doesn't work. We were told it would monitor the fuel level, engine temperature, trim. etc. We have a Simrad. We currently have analog gages. Do we have to have digital gages in order to make the NMEA cord work?
P.S. Our dealer told us that Bennington should have caught this mistake on our build. They should not have installed analog gauges if they only work with digital gauges for the NMEA cord to be functional. Any advice? We have a non-functioning cord that we paid a lot of money for at the build!

We took it in once for this issue and that is what the dealer told us. We haven't taken it back for a year. We are taking it in again this weekend. So it is really more of our problem not following thru. The boat dealer is an hour away and we have been using the boat during the summer and not wanting to put it in the shop. We love our boat...and we really like our dealer too...just want to get the cord to work!!

My understanding is it does need to be connected to a digital interface. EITHER digital gauges, or for instance your Simrad, or both if you have both of them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have analog gauges with have a Simrad gps/fish finder. Your NMEA should be able to connect to the Simrad and give you more read outs through that. I’d follow back up about checking that connection. IF the NMEA and Simrad were on the boat at purchase as part of your order through Bennington, getting that resolved should be covered by warranty. If either the Simrad or the NMEA connection were after market add ons, then I would expect that it’d be on you.

That said, I believe one would otherwise normally connect their NMEA to digital guages. Fortunately, with your Simrad, you basically have a large digital display now, and it should interface if a) hooked up properly, and b) all components work.

We had both the analog gauges and the Simrad put on during the build. However, the cord does not tell the trim tilt, or any fuel consumption or capacity. It does tell rpm and that was it. We will follow up with the dealer about digital gauges. Hopefully, that fixes our problem. Thanks for the advice.

We had both the analog gauges and the Simrad put on during the build. However, the cord does not tell the trim tilt, or any fuel consumption or capacity. It does tell rpm and that was it. We will follow up with the dealer about digital gauges. Hopefully, that fixes our problem. Thanks for the advice.
My understanding is you should be able to get it tied into your Simrad and get a lot of information. Seems like a simple check on their part to insure the NMEA is plugged into the motor, and connected to the Simrad. If not, have it connected. If it is, something isn’t right with the NMEA. Either way, seems like they should be able to get it up and working for you.

Based on this response, thread closed for further responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back