No Motors

jsharp

Reaction score
No Motors
Just an inquiry- boat came in in April 23 scwxp, but dealer says no motors are available.
Ordered Yamaha 200 hp that may come in July according to dealer.
Seems that boats are being delivered according to our threads, but meanwhile mine sits on the dealer’s lot.
Boat was ordered in January so plenty of lead time.
Anyone experiencing same situation?

We ordered our 23sslx in March- boat was delivered today. Our dealer is waiting for our Mercury 250 Verado (V8 )to come in.

We ordered our 23sslx in March- boat was delivered today. Our dealer is waiting for our Mercury 250 Verado (V8 )to come in.

Yamaha has manufacturing disaster on their hands. In addition to manufacturing changes, they were hit with hurricanes and unprecendented demand for outboards. The outboard motor is efficient and high horse power so they have become the motor of choice for boat manufacturers. It is almost impossible to get a Yamaha 350 or 300. At least a 6 month lead time. It is also impacting all of the Yamaha motors. Unless a dealer had Yamaha inventory or Bennington sourced it for the dealer, it is going to be a long wait. I have read some dealers have many boats with no motors. If they were rigged for Yamaha, you’re out of luck.

Sounds like I may be out of luck. The July projection is just that - an estimate. My boat is rigged for a Yamaha. As I said the boat was delivered to the dealer a month ago. The sale doesn’t happen until the motor is attached.

Sounds like I may be out of luck. The July projection is just that - an estimate. My boat is rigged for a Yamaha. As I said the boat was delivered to the dealer a month ago. The sale doesn’t happen until the motor is attached.

Painful. Hang in.

Makes you wonder where the dealers who are delivering product are getting motors???
Read the posts re “took delivery” on this site. Go figure.

I am very sorry to hear about your delays. I’d be chomping at the bit if my boat were in, but held back due to motors being backlogged. Try to hang in there, and repeating to yourself - “it will be worth the wait when it arrives”. I assure you, it will be! Fingers crossed for a July set up for you.

Makes you wonder where the dealers who are delivering product are getting motors???
Read the posts re “took delivery” on this site. Go figure.

In most cases, either dealers ordered inventory motors early in 2018 build year or because Bennington is Yamaha’s biggest dealer they had priority access to Yamaha inventory. The problem now is Bennington has used up that inventory and now they have to wait for Yamaha to build the motors which is a long wait. This is my understanding. If your dealer had no inventory or did not reserve a motor through Bennington, they are waiting for a motor to be built.

Last edited:
I compounded the situation by selling the Benny I already had.
It appears the Mercury people are having problems with delivery as well.
I suspect my dealer did not pre order Yamaha’s early- but I don’t know that.

I had not heard of any problems re motors by other posters on this site so I began to wonder - what the heck is going on which prompted my post.

I had not heard of any problems re motors by other posters on this site so I began to wonder - what the heck is going on which prompted my post.

I think the problem has gotten worse as they burned through inventory with the high demand. Add the other variables and you have a perfect storm of motor delays.

In addition to both Yamaha and Mercury starting to backlog, I was just reading on a FB forum that Suzuki is too.

Lake-
I Wish him luck. I presume that it is not coming from BM with the motor?
Apparently this motor crisis has been ongoing for some time. My dealer just did not tell me about the shortage when I ordered the boat.

Nice! Hope you can share with us how you like that new engine (once you get it , of course). Hope you have a pilots license because that thing is going to fly!

Sadly I'm experiencing the same thing. Boat arrived last week and the Yamaha 300 is nowhere to be found. Dealer says "in a couple of weeks". Based on some of the previous messages I'm real concerned that might mean a couple of months. Of course getting any useful information out of the dealer has proven to be a challenge in and of itself.

Sadly I'm experiencing the same thing. Boat arrived last week and the Yamaha 300 is nowhere to be found. Dealer says "in a couple of weeks". Based on some of the previous messages I'm real concerned that might mean a couple of months. Of course getting any useful information out of the dealer has proven to be a challenge in and of itself.
300 Wow, when you get it, it’s gonna fly! Pictures upon receipt and welcome to the forum. If new to boating I strongly suggest you taking a boater safety course,

Doesn't surprise me that Yamaha, Mercury, and now Suzuki are having supply issues. They are all lower cost motors, therefore power many boat companies lines to keep costs down. Evinrude and Honda tend to be the priciest of the bunch. Take a look at all the highest end boats on the market they tend to be powered by Evinrude. What I can say is way to many people think that 4 strokes are the way to go when from an emissions standpoint the Evinrude Etec G2 motor has fewer emissions and better MPG. Sure I add oil, like once every 2 years, but don't do an oil change. In the fall I hit a few buttons and my motor auto fogs. Say bye bye to dealer visits. If you haven't taken a serious look at an Evinrude, I would. I am sure their is a ton of other folks on here who would agree. As a side note my 150HO will outperform the Yamaha 200 all day long. I have a 21' with SPS and with 4 adults can run 50mph on GPS.

Sure thing Yamaha and Mercury low cost motors. You can like your motor all you want but that does not mean other motors are not good. There is a wide choice now on outboard motors and everyone has personal preferences.

Back