No Motors

Doesn't surprise me that Yamaha, Mercury, and now Suzuki are having supply issues. They are all lower cost motors, therefore power many boat companies lines to keep costs down. Evinrude and Honda tend to be the priciest of the bunch. Take a look at all the highest end boats on the market they tend to be powered by Evinrude.

Yes, several of us are familiar with the strong impression Evinrude has made with even the first gen ETEC let alone their G2. However, it's not like many Benny shoppers have a choice. First you have the marriage of the companies to each other to deal with (Benny and Yammy, joined at the shaft). There are some dealers that do other brands but it's not like you can easily go across town to the other dealer. After that you have to deal with future service and from what I hear, Evinrude still has lots of ghosts in their machines. When they work, they work nice and deliver as promised but when they don't, good luck finding shops to work on them (at least around here). When you find the shops, good luck getting parts.

I know it's an older stigma (like with diesel even though they solved ALL of its' issues decades ago) but I know a LOT of boat mechanics now and all I have to do is whisper the word "Evinrude" near them and they turn in to Halloween hissing cats and/or act like a vampire who saw a giant cross in the sun lit mirror.

It's going to take some time for Evinrude to overcome all of that. In the mean time, as much as I was intrigued by the Evinrude option, I'm very glad that I'm getting the good old, bullet proof 3.3L F250 engine on my new boat next week. The dealer even said there isn't too much of a shortage issue on that model. In fact I had my choice of two different 250hp Yammys.

I like my "low cost" Suzuki 150, I guess it fits my low cost SX Bennington. Just a low rent kind of guy I guess.

Makes you wonder where the dealers who are delivering product are getting motors???
Read the posts re “took delivery” on this site. Go figure.
True story. We just got ours and tried to get a 250 merc and finally settled for v6 225 hp. 250 was not available.

I finally got my 300 Yamaha motor last week and the boat was delivered on Saturday. Only about 6 weeks behind the original schedule. Now to get the arch replaced that has scratches and a large gash in it

Funny you say that my 225 has a couple gouges on motor cover as well

The nice thing is at least it is getting rectified. The bad thing is that sort of problem should not be sent out to the customer in the first place.

The arch is sent in a lowered position .( mine was ) Raised into place by the dealer . Mine was scratched and gouged by the dealer or the transport company .The dealer had it re-powder coated . You would never know it had been scratched or gouged .

The nice thing is at least it is getting rectified. The bad thing is that sort of problem should not be sent out to the customer in the first place.

Actually, it happens and should be caught (or caused) by dealer. As long as it’s noted on delivery and dealer follows through on repair/replacement , you don’t want to hold up delivery for just a superficial issue.

This is how mine was prepped before lowering and leaving the factory
View media item 3087View media item 3067

That's how mine was too. Dealer left it on for me for my 5 1/2 hour tow home. Only thing that scratched my tower was the dang city trees along the street that they don't trim! I actually took my long pole saw all the way down my block cutting trees all the way!

Back