No port side speakers working

Thomas Sayle

Reaction score
Took delivery of my brand new 2018 25SSBXP on Friday. Realized left side speakers are not working. Dealer swapped head unit thinking that might be the problem. Nope.

Any ideas?

First question I really have is why would Bennington manufacture a boat with a six speaker option, only to install a head unit with 4 channels of output?

Does it go through an amp with more output? Just thinking out loud. Mine has 6 speakers, but I haven’t gotten down to see if all are putting out.

I have the basic Kicker stereo set up (no amps) and six speakers, all of which do work. My guess is a loose connection somewhere.

Took delivery of my brand new 2018 25SSBXP on Friday. Realized left side speakers are not working. Dealer swapped head unit thinking that might be the problem. Nope.

Any ideas?

First question I really have is why would Bennington manufacture a boat with a six speaker option, only to install a head unit with 4 channels of output?

To answer your first question how many head units have you seen with 6 speaker channels? Usually they run two pairs in parallel and one pair regular. Only real way around it is to add an amp. Even then you'd probably still run two pairs in parallel. I added another set of 6.5s speakers to mine (has an amp) and had two pairs running in parallel on each channel of the amp. Running amps at 2ohms is very common.

As for the speakers not working, my guess is maybe the connection either under the deck has come loose, or on the speaker in the front port seat. I would check those, and try a continuity test from the harness under the dash to the plug under the front port decking. I wonder if either the under helm harness doesn't have the LF + & - seated properly, or the connection under the deck is loose.

We've since added amps and a complete rewire but out of the factory, Bennington wired the 2 front speakers as standard and the 2 rear on each side (4 total in rear) in series. They had to do that with the 4 ohm WetSounds we have as head units very rarely are capable of 2 ohm loads.

Guessing yours may be wired that way as well and if so, any one bad connection on the rears would disable both for that side. Wouldn't explain the front also not working but maybe another bad connection there too?

We've since added amps and a complete rewire but out of the factory, Bennington wired the 2 front speakers as standard and the 2 rear on each side (4 total in rear) in series. They had to do that with the 4 ohm WetSounds we have as head units very rarely are capable of 2 ohm loads.

Guessing yours may be wired that way as well and if so, any one bad connection on the rears would disable both for that side. Wouldn't explain the front also not working but maybe another bad connection there too?

Ahh, yes might be series, wasn't thinking about the fact my tower unit comes factory with amps! My bad!

Also, check your connector under the helm. MY speaker acts up every now and then and if I wiggle the connector, it starts working.

To answer your first question how many head units have you seen with 6 speaker channels?
HAHAHAHAHA! Good point! I think what I meant was that maybe a small amp would have been a better idea for a six speaker system here? Who knows, it was late and I was frustrated.

The dealer is (obviously) going to fix the problem, and I think I'm going to move forward with an amp installation to get the most sound out of my Kicker upgrades.

Other than this little hiccup, boat is awesome. I will post some photos ASAP.

Some of my stats:
2018 25 SSXBP Swingback
150HP Yamaha
Black/Granite Exterior
Driftwood/Carbon Interior
Elevated Helm
LED Lighting Package
Ski locker

Back