Not boating related

cwag911

Reaction score
We have ATT Uverse and love it................Until last night. CBS was blacked out due to contact stuff and most of the shows we watch are on CBS. We have been looking at indoor antennas and I am wondering if any of you have one and what you think, good or bad. We're not far from Charlotte. Also there isn't any cable on our road so we're stuck with dish or direct tv which is also ATT. TIA.

Same predicament, no cable on road.  Kicked sat tv to the curb and never looked back about 5 years ago.  Bought an old school looking metal arm digital external antenna, mounted it on the dish arm, and a signal booster, from Wally World I believe.  We're about 25-30 miles from Columbus and signal is good for the most part, heavy rain and we lose the Fox, PBS channels which I believe are higher in freq.

Thanks guys.

Carl, Not sure in your area for ability to pull channels, but we do antenna for locals 10-12 channels) and internet tv for everything else, and are very satisfied. With Internet access, we use Sling ($20/mo.) for decent channels and also CBS all access for $5/mo. We also have Amazon prime which gives us a bunch of stuff for free. We booted cable tv in 2015 and haven't looked back since. We save appx. $100/mo. doing this. 

Just heard about this the other day, it's called a Firestik. If you have wifi in your home your able to pick up channels through the Firestik. I haven't researched it yet but might solve your issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard about this the other day, it's called a Firestik. If you have wifi in your home your able to pick up channels through the Firestik. I haven't researched it yet but might solve your issues.

Yeah, that's Amazons version of Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, and others. Basically it gives you a "Smart" tv if you don't have one. These are the pathways for the internet access. 

I guess you're stuck with cable Jack.

Directv ,and I hate it . I can't even switch to dish because they are lower on the horizon than directv and my neighbors trees are in the way .Directv goes through these fights at least once  year ,they usually settle in a few days and you bill goes up with in the next few months .We have a small mom & pop cable company that doesn't even have HD yet 

Sell the damn T.V. in a garage sale take the money from it and go and get some gas for the Bennington. Spend T.V. time on the water.

I have a firestick. It works great. Need WFI. You can get it upgraded and get all the new movies.

Jack,

I loathe Directv in every way, where to begin ... total dirtbags.

Unfortunately, we're ~70-80 miles to the nearest broadcast station, many trees in the way.  A 48' tower would do it but that's ~$2k+.

I have a Time Warner cable bundle. Cable, TV, and phone. I was thinking of going back to DirecTV which I had in Virginia. Why does everybody hate DirecTV so much?!? Had no problem with them before. 

Also we have a Firestick. My daughter gave it to us for Christmas. $38 at Amazon. Right now just using it for a game pack that contains Fibbage we play on game nights. 1000's of movies, TV shows and music are also available. Some free but most are pay.......

We have a modded (kodi) firestick at home and a second one at the lake.  Sure you need wi-fi but even the $15 package (lowest one time warner offers) at roughly 3mb down is fast enough to stream buffering free.  Thousands of movies and tv shows available anytime for free.  We also have Amazon prime that offers some movies and now music as well.

Had direct tv and got tired of paying over a $100 a month for programming (no movie channels) and we only watched a half dozen channels anyway.  Cut the direct tv cord 4 years ago and went back to the old trusty antenna out front and now the firestick about a year ago and wouldn't go back.  I use that $100 a month we used to spend on tv for gas in the boat :D

I have a Time Warner cable bundle. Cable, TV, and phone. I was thinking of going back to DirecTV which I had in Virginia. Why does everybody hate DirecTV so much?!? Had no problem with them before. 

Also we have a Firestick. My daughter gave it to us for Christmas. $38 at Amazon. Right now just using it for a game pack that contains Fibbage we play on game nights. 1000's of movies, TV shows and music are also available. Some free but most are pay.......

Beside the constant price increases ,and outages .Poor customer service 

I'm like ILB. We watched maybe 10 channels on cable. Half the stations were infomercials. I may invest in a better antenna as we do get glitching on a couple channels. I find that many older shows (60's-80's) are quite enjoyable on the one channel we tend to watch. 

Back