Not enought Power

Bubba2275

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 2275GL with a Merc 115. It has a 15p prop. I bought it three weeks ago with 158 hours, and has 165. I power washed the toons in the process of everything below.

At WOT i am about 5600 rpm with 2 adults and 1 kid. I get 21.5 mph via gps. At 5000rpm i get 19mph.The pitch is 15 on the prop and I checked my prop and it is not spun. When in Nuetral and i spin the prop foward i get a little clicking, and a lot louder when spinning backward (may be normal but just trying to give info). I also get some vibration at lower rpm, which may be normal and may have been there when i bought.

I assume the speed is low. People mentioned to check Mercury website for a prop size and the lowest speed is 26.

Is ther a potention issue? What do i check. Was hoping for 26-27mph.

Honestly? You are not far from what your boat can achieve. A G-series boat is on the heavy side and a 115 is gonna struggle.

Talk to your dealer and see if they will let you try a 13 pitch prop... maybe a 14 (I think those are available).

My 2010 2275 RLi (also a heavier boat) with a 115 ran 28, but I no longer recall the prop it had. I doubt it was a 15P... that's a lot of prop for a 115.

You should be able to spin your motor to 5800 or so; the 13P will get you there.

GoldenRod, I think that it is a little low in the RPMs and at 21.5 and he should be up around 28. My prop on my RL with a 115 is 13.5 x 15 and next year I am also going to try dialing in my prop and/or hole position as I am not where I should be either

GoldenRod, I think that it is a little low in the RPMs and at 21.5 and he should be up around 28. My prop on my RL with a 115 is 13.5 x 15 and next year I am also going to try dialing in my prop and/or hole position as I am not where I should be either

Link, what speed do you have now? How much difference does size make vs pitch? I believe a 13 pitch will get me higher rpm and faster?

Probably because I am a slow cruiser and don't worry too much about attaining top end speed I will defer to others to answer. My boat came with this aluminum prop and until lately I have been happy with it.

My speed has dropped somewhat dramatically over the past two years and next spring I will seek to improve it. However with summer coming to a close I will enjoy my boat this week as it is being pulled this Friday as we prepare for heading back down to Florida

I will enjoy my boat this week as it is being pulled this Friday as we prepare for heading back down to Florida

Let me know if you are going to be down our way. We’ll take you guys out for a ride.

Back