Off season activities-what do you do?

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
So being the “off season” is coming, we are looking at a small camper to travel around (locally for now). This will also be our “dreary day” activity when weathers too ugly to boat. Panthergirl is a “sunshine“ boater ... LOL!
We are looking at a Geo Pro/E-Pro (Same assembly line, different “company”) 19FD It’s a Murphy bed type to save space. Small but just the two of us anyhow.

0AC9A946-3CC0-4097-B067-26C322BCAFE7.jpeg959DC50B-7187-4E13-AC44-82E8B809866E.jpegA65BAA19-9927-4794-96D5-D56B10DA62B8.jpeg299197A8-5D84-421E-85DF-D7E3F39812A4.jpeg

Campers also have PAD's . :D

So being the “off season” is coming, we are looking at a small camper to travel around (locally for now). This will also be our “dreary day” activity when weathers too ugly to boat. Panthergirl is a “sunshine“ boater ... LOL!
We are looking at a Geo Pro/E-Pro (Same assembly line, different “company”) 19FD It’s a Murphy bed type to save space. Small but just the two of us an

View attachment 28097View attachment 28098View attachment 28099View attachment 28100
Hey SEMPERFI8387 How about getting a big enough one pick us all up and we can ride around for 6 months ?

In Alabama there really isn't an off season. It's just a slower season. If the temps get close to 70 and it's sunny we can drop the boat down and go for a ride. Otherwise, I use the time to do improvements to the lake house that we bought 3 years ago. A camper would have the benefit of going to other lakes/parks in the summer as well (with the boat of course) :)

Hey SEMPERFI8387 How about getting a big enough one pick us all up and we can ride around for 6 months ?

It’s amazing how big and fancy some are.
We are keeping it small, simple, and affordable, but like our Bennington, paying a little more for quality. Aluminum framing all 6 sides, and no wood on sides/TPO 12 year roof. Also many standards are others upgrades. Solar, dual propane, 10 year axle.
We really love the Murphy bed for space savings during the day. Close it and it’s sofa underneath.
Tub/shower, water recycles till it comes out hot at shower. Really nice setup.

In Alabama there really isn't an off season. It's just a slower season. If the temps get close to 70 and it's sunny we can drop the boat down and go for a ride. Otherwise, I use the time to do improvements to the lake house that we bought 3 years ago. A camper would have the benefit of going to other lakes/parks in the summer as well (with the boat of course) :)

I‘m envious!!!

I‘m envious!!!

If I was 1 state south, I would have zero off season. We do get average temps in the winter around 55 for the high.

That camper looks really nice. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Hey Semper Fi,
You are gonna love it.
Yessirreee, just love it!

Let me tell ya about our latest trip.

Arrived Northern Colorado on Labor day Monday.
Fifteen miles south of Wyoming border.
8400 ft altitude.
85 degrees, sunny, t-shirt weather.

By 2 am it was 19 degrees.
35 mph winds.
Snow blowing sideways. Here's a visual.

20200908_071223.jpg

Forced air propane furnace (new - $800) decided to not work (defective gas regulator).

So I fire up the generator and we run the 6" ceramic space heater, and get under the heavy comforter (this is definitely a good way to get your wife to snuggle close, believe me!)

Seven days later we get it fixed, for a price that would make you think I'm a rich guy!
But if you pay someone to come 80 miles to fix something in sub-zero weather, it's gonna cost ya!

In the meantime, there was the Middle Fork forest fire 12 miles south of us with visible flame eruptions and the occasional blanket of smoke, the field mice infestation, and the marauding pack of coyote (now one less!).

And we would not have traded it for anything... Zoom in on the center of this photo.
20200923_191622.jpg

Yessirreee, you are gonna love it!

As some in here know, we got into snowmobiling shortly after getting the lake house. With some retiree time on my hands this winter, I hope to put in some serious snowmobile time should Mother Nature cooperate. So far, the winter forecast for Michigan is extra snowy, and I hope that pans out for us. Mix in a little lake ice skating and bonefires, and the occasional downhill skiing, and you have a wonderful Michigan winter.

36B82226-9EDB-4715-96CC-DC20C20B485D.jpeg 4B6DFDEE-B0A1-4054-9195-D33DEC175286.jpeg D26BAC81-7690-45ED-99B6-1324022B4ADE.jpeg 9C4714CE-C0B8-4D6E-A481-D5C3DA984DC9.jpeg FB8D2A73-C0ED-4D08-95F9-5B6151569707.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about your RV adventures. Sounds like a fun and new adventure for you. When my wife eventually retires in about a decade, we might do some of that.

Semperefi my wife and I have been avid RVers since we were young ( that was a long time ago). It was the perfect way to travel with our kids. We wore out two suburbans towing our 30‘ travel trailer. We spent many weekends at off road motorcycle races with a 22’ toy hauler as my son, wife and I raced off road motorcycle enduros. It is the only way to see our great nation. I am presently preparing to once again have an RV. I am building a barn to house our retirement travel trailer. I will have our next/ last trailer built specifically for our trips we have placed in our bucket List. Vickingstaff my sister sent me a picture of a half dozen vintage SkiDoos two of witch I grew up riding in Northwest Colorado that were taking up space in their barn. I was sad to see those mighty steeds in disrepair. My family still ski. I have taught all of my children and grand children to ski. I grew up in Steamboat Colorado and ski raced in high school and college. Sorry for the long story but both of your posts brought back memories that make me know that we have to have these activities, boating, Rving, snowmobilin, skiing, motorcycling, ect to keep our families together enjoying life to its fullest.

Funner than a pontoon!!

I think snowmobiling is one of the funnest things someone can do. It is an activity I look forward to the most, and one I hope to take more advantage of now that I am retired.

No more missing out on those awesome mid-week snowfalls that have been trampled down by the weekend. Now if we get them I’ll be telling the wife “I’m outta here” and heading up to our cottage immediately to do some sledding.

Vikingstaff I am soo jealous!! Growing up I could jump on a snowmobile and ride to most of my buddies. That was in the days when we had four wire winters in northwestern colorado. The fences where covered so no need to open gates. Just gas it and go we’re ever you wanted. I guess I would be totally broke if I lived in a location that I could add one or six to my stable of toys. Nothing beats the thrill of blasting through a snowdrift and surfing through the powder.

Ahhh, fellow snowmobilers, awesome!
If you haven't ridden in the mountains, please add that to your bucket list.
Warning. Once you do, you will want to go back....often!

Back