Offset support pole for playpen cover

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
In heavy rains last night, I somehow got a huge puddle of water on the aft-starboard side of the playpen cover. The aft support pole for the cover is offset because of the rear bench (Z-shaped) and it bent under the load.

I've looked online and can't find a generic replacement. Are these Bennington-only?

I think I'm gonna look into covered storage!!!!
Thanks

Any Bennington ,dealer should be able to order one .
Is it possible that you could add a second strap ?

Any Bennington ,dealer should be able to order one .
Is it possible that you could add a second strap ?
The older boats don't have straps.

Correct... I don't have straps.

Can I convert from my existing 4-pole support to a strap system with the same cover?

You should be able to add a strap ,in addition to the poles .
I had a small pooling issue ,just moving the strap a few inches over on the arch ( or bimini ) corrected it

I remember having that same issue. I bent that offset pole a bit to get it more lined up. I then added a small towel and some rigid foam blocks under the upward curve sitting on the sundeck to give it support.

I don't use the strap, but I do use the fourth pole, at a slight angle, tight against the cover (under a seam), with a tennis ball on top of the pole. I've been doing it this way since 2012 and there is no wear on that spot of the cover and the pole has never slipped out of place.

My short-term solution was to bend the pole back into shape, since it had not been permanently creased. Then I took a curved piece of electrical conduit and cut it down the middle, plus shortened it a little bit because the curves were not identical. Then I put it on the pole and taped it up with duct tape and electrical tape. Essentially, I splinted the pole. Seems to be working fine. As long as the tape holds, it seems stronger than original.

20180313_171040.jpg 20180313_171053.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever works! Cheap. No one sees it. Nice job. I love MacGyver posts like that.

Back