Oh the PADs...

And I'm sure you have no problem getting on the gas again huh Tom???

I think it has the same seat as yours, Jared. I didn't take a great photo of it, but this pretty much shows it

Is that the one everyone loves on your boat? I noticed it looks like your seat goes all the way up to the bow seats. Is that a removable section in front of your port door? Like a bow gate seat but on the side?

This is the coveted 'L' seat on my 22 SSX. I realize it's not possible with a center walkway layout, but none of the other layouts that have it appeal to me much, so I might get used to the other one. 
Ah, I totally misunderstood. Mine is just like that pic. I thought the dealer's boat had the second captain's chair there. I don't think an "L" would be compatible with the RCW layout.

I use the bow filler seat on the port side gate as it fits in both places. It makes for one huge lounge down the enire port side.

Yes that is my layout, and +1 on the filler seat. Makes it so you have 5 spots to lounge, plus more storage.

It also has the extended aft deck. I think you were looking for that. That's a sweet ride, go for it!!

Man, this case of PADS is killing me this weekend. I've been going back and forth a lot. The biggest downer (aside from spending lots of money), remains that 'L' seat that we love on our 22 SSX, but adding the bow seat to make one long bench might make up for that, especially for the great price on this thing.

I have a couple questions for you guys on motors though. If you were to take two boats with the same motor but one was longer than the other, should the longer/heavier boat therefore go a little slower? Or does that extra length/buoyancy make it go faster? The other thing I've been kind of hung up on is the v6 3.3L 200hp motor. If I were building this boat, I would definitely go with the 4cyl 2.8L. I've been trying to really research the difference, and all I'm really seeing is that it has more torque and hole shot. Is that really all I benefit from decreased efficiency and an extra 120 pounds? Would that extra torque be better for me since I load the boat so heavily? Even with ESP I'll probably be pushing the high end of capacity. Opinions much appreciated. PADS is rough... I should have taken less pictures when I was there.  :wub:

IMG_0883.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your power questions, but your dogs are going to LOVE those rear loungers !!!!!

I'd get the filler seat, but DOUBLE-CHECK THE STAPLES underneath if you do. There were some posts/pics about how the vinyl was stapled to the bottom leading to snagging / scratching vinyl floor.

Torque is what gets things moving and helps with heavy loads.  To think of it in the extreme, semi trucks have very high torque but comparatively low horsepower.  Being that you're going so heavy, I'd bet that the V6 will be at a lower RPM than the 4 cylinder given the same MPH. 

In this case I'd much rather have the torque of the V6 because of the loading. The S seems to be a lighter boat and the I4 performs really well there, possibly not so much on a loaded up G.

A longer boat with the same power is usually going to be marginally slower just due to more weight and wetted surface of the pontoons.

Really great info. I can't thank you guys enough. I've been all over the place on this decision today. I almost had myself convinced with not getting it this morning and now I'm back in gotta have it mode. Especially when I priced out a decent S with a 150, SPS and roughly 22% discount from MSRP and the price was the same.  :blink:  I think we're going to go sit in it again tomorrow and then maybe the admiral will start negotiations as that is her specialty. As a self-employed person, I'm virtually unemployed in the eyes of the bank, so it's all her from here!  :lol: Any other input is greatly appreciated! 

It's going to look really good on your website  B)

Can you write it off as a business expense .... :)

Can you write it off as a business expense .... :)
It's worked so far!  B)

Heading in to chat with the dealer this afternoon. One other thing I was thinking was prop. I noticed it has an aluminum Quicksilver prop on it now. A motor like that should benefit greatly from stainless, right? I'm wondering if that's something I should insist on swapping out if we pull the trigger. 

It's worked so far!  B)

Heading in to chat with the dealer this afternoon. One other thing I was thinking was prop. I noticed it has an aluminum Quicksilver prop on it now. A motor like that should benefit greatly from stainless, right? I'm wondering if that's something I should insist on swapping out if we pull the trigger. 
Anything 150hp+ should have the stainless prop. Ask for it or you won't get the performance you expect.

I like the guy that requested his boat perfom a specific way before he took delivery. Be specific up front on what your expectations are and make sure they prop accordingly. When I went car shopping I took kids and car seats. Just to make sure I got comfort and functionality for everyone.

Take all your stuff load it up and make sure it works for you.

Whoa. Good catch, Andy. It is indeed an F200XA. I assume that's basically the same as the current F200XB? Crazy differences on the performance bulletins. I would assume for lost efficiency and an extra couple of cylinders, it would have more power. Here's what it shows:

F200XB, ESP, 2375 GCW

Efficient speed: 17.5mph @3000rpm 4.49mpg

Top speed: 40mph @5800rpm 2.17mpg

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2375GCW_F200XB_2013-05-09_PNT_2.pdf

F200LB, Twin Elliptical, 2250 GSR

Efficient speed: 23.5mph @3500rpm 4.27mpg

Top speed: 45.6mph @5850rpm 2.45mpg

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2250GSR_F200LB_2013-05-07_BNT_0.pdf

So the point of a V6 is????
Just thought I'd correct something I mentioned earlier in case someone else happens upon this thread later on. I mistakenly thought that the F200XB was just a slightly newer model of the F200XA that is on the boat I'm considering. It turns out, the XB is just the 25" version of the LB (4 cyl, 2.8L), so both of the motors above are basically the same. 

The crazy thing I'm finding is that I can't find a single performance bulletin or even really a mention of anyone with an actual pontoon boat of any brand with the Yamaha v6 3.3L F200XA. Bennington offers it on their builder, but other than that, I'd swear my dealer ordered a motor not meant for a pontoon. It is listed in Yamaha's Offshore motor line up and most of the performance bulletins are for offshore boats like this. What's the deal?

Yet on the Bennington boat builder, upgrading to the 3.3L is even more expensive than the 4.2L v6 VMAX SHO. 

2.8L 4cyl: + $11,471

v6 4.2L VMAX SHO: $13,401

v6 3.3L: $15,128

I'm totally confused as to what is so awesome about the 3.3L to warrant this. I understand more torque and from what it sounds like, that might be great for my situation of having lots of stuff on the boat, but other than that I'm totally confused.  :blink:

I would get the SHO. Oh, that's right, I did. Twice. :D  

I would get the SHO. Oh, that's right, I did. Twice. :D
I might just do that if I wasn't buying floor stock and my dealer sold more than 5 outboards in an entire year. Haha! But of course, you just made me realize something that just adds to my confusion. In the boat builder, the 200hp SHO is $1727 LESS expensive than the 200hp v6 3.3L. Meanwhile, the 250hp SHO is $186 MORE expensive than the 250hp v5 3.3L. Maybe I just need to buy this boat so I can stop thinking about it...  :rolleyes:

Maybe I just need to buy this boat so I can stop thinking about it...  :rolleyes:
Well that would be my expert opinion!  Hehe besides, there's always the next one!

I'm happy with my I4 200. Unless your going to be pulling 6 skiers off the back I would think the i4 would be fine. Mine seems to have enough torque to blow hats off. Any more and cloths might start getting blown off....on second thought, go with the v6 and load the bow with girls.

Here is mine with the f200 2.8 incase you didn't see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-1yh3MYjI

That's a great video! I can't wait until I'm banking and planing like that! From everything I've read, I think I'd definitely go with the I4 if I had the choice. I went ahead and put in an offer on the boat today. Dealer is thinking about it. Fingers crossed! 

Back