ON 2575 Q.....350 or 400 Verado?

Kevin LAney

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a 25'Q.
I have ridden in a 25' with 350 and runs really good top speed around 52ish.
Wondering what the 400 would add to that?

Welcome Kevin, not sure if anyone is running a 400 on a Q25 but I would expect some minimal improvement in top end, some minimal improvements when you have a full boat and maximum stares from others when they see a 400 on the end of that bad boy

I was just talking to my dealer about that very thing.
He said he's driven both recently and he got about 2 to 3 mph more with the 400.
I was a bit surprised at that. I thought it would have been more.

He recommend the Yamaha as he said they are more reliable than the Mercury.
I'm only relaying what the dealer told me so if you have a Merc please don't feel slighted. I'm sure that there are lots of dealers that would tell you the Merc is the better engine.

What is the cost difference?

I believe that on Boat Builder, the Yamaha is a more expensive engine.

Oh, BTW, I'd go with the 400. Otherwise, you'll always wonder... :)

The major difference from 350 to 400r is how high it revs (6400 vs 7000). So, with more revs, you can spin a higher pitch prop, thus maybe 2-3 mph. At those rpm's the 400r is really screaming, if that's what you really want on your pontoon.

My Verado 250 needed nothing in 4 years of service, other than oil and filters changed, so that reliability thing is a bit overstated. Go where you have access to the best service.

Go big or go home!!! I'd go with a Seven Marine 627. (Eventhough TomS makes the most sense, I figure I'd throw another option into the mix.)

Go for the 400. When people ask why, just say, “cause I can” ...... ;) Just like Mark said , imagine the stares with that hog hanging off the back!

25Q Wow, 400 Wow-Wow

Thanks so much, Yianni. I just drooled all over my keyboard! :mad::(:D

Only 2 to 3 mph difference for 50 more horsepower?!? What's the price difference between the 350 and 400?

Here is a picture of a QX with the 400 Verado and also the test results from Boating Magazine.

View attachment 20938 View attachment 20939

Who cares about the efficiency if you buy a 400?!? Ha!

Like when we had our high top conversion van when the kids were young. People used to ask us about the gas mileage. I used to tell them we didn't buy it for the gas mileage we bought it for the comfort and all the amenities it had.

Last edited by a moderator:
One last thing to add.
My dealer sent out a winterizing email. I'll do my own work but thought it interesting the Verado is $130.00 more than the Yamaha. This makes me wonder if all other service and repairs will be more expensive on the Merc.

From the dealer:
  • Specials
  • Up to 20 hp$109
  • 20 hp to 60 hp$159
  • 60 hp to 115 hp$209
  • Over 115 hp$269
  • Mercury Verado style, all hps$399

400...400...400, come on everybody, 400...400. :p.

Since I am recommending something with YOUR $, the 400! ;) However, in regards to performance gain, I am not really sure its worth the extra $. If cost is not a serious consideration, I'd do it. If it would cause me to cut something else off my order, then I would go with the 350, and add on those other options...

All that cabbage for 50 mph? No thank you! See my speeds below in my sig.

One last thing to add.
My dealer sent out a winterizing email. I'll do my own work but thought it interesting the Verado is $130.00 more than the Yamaha. This makes me wonder if all other service and repairs will be more expensive on the Merc.

From the dealer:
  • Specials
  • Up to 20 hp$109
  • 20 hp to 60 hp$159
  • 60 hp to 115 hp$209
  • Over 115 hp$269
  • Mercury Verado style, all hps$399
My dealer charges just over $200 to winterize a Verado 250.

If I could afford it I’d buy the 400hp, all I ever wonder is how much faster the HO version of my motor would be!!
There’s definitely some bragging rights that come along with it too! ;)

Back