Opinion of new seat covers for a 23sfbxp

BaysideFMB

Reaction score
I’m in the process of purchasing a new 23sfbxp with a 200hp Yamaha. I have looked closely at the seat cover option. The covers are the Bennington option and made by a company by the name of Puffin. According to the picture, they use the same type of clips as the mooring cover. Does anybody have any experience in owning and using these covers, and if so what is you opinion of them.

Hey Bayside welcome to the forum. Although I'm sure the seat covers are a nice option I am a big fan of covering the entire boat. Even though the seats are being protected what about the flooring, the helm, the electronics, the rails etc. etc??? The sun would just tear them up eventually. Use your mooring cover and protect the entire boat. Just my opinion brotha.........

Congratulations on the boat you are in the process of getting.

Ditto Daril’s advice above. Doing just seat covers sounds easier, but you would be leaving a lot of things uncovered. I’d protect that investment and shinny new boat with a full cover.

Now if you are tucking it up under some kind of a canopy, then perhaps keeping it easier with just seat covers would be something to consider. Just my 2 cents too. Either way, best of luck finding the information and items you are looking for.

I had not heard about the seat cover option so I took a look at the build site. Agree with Daril and Jeff that you will leave a lot of the boat uncovered even if you are tight under a canopy. Plus I think putting on all of the seat covers would probably be as much or more work than putting on the mooring cover.

Good luck on your upcoming purchase and welcome to the forum.

As someone who uses individual seat covers as well as covers for the helm and couch/storage area, I like using the individual covers and find them easier than the mooring cover. I slip my boat in an open slip. I don’t see any greater wear & tear on the floor area. My covers are canvas with zippers.

Thank you for all of the input and advice. My original thoughts were to use the mooring cover when we were not going to use the boat for a week or so, and the seat covers when using it regularly. I have plenty of experience installing a mooring cover during the stifling heat and humidity in the summer and it is not a pleasant experience. With my age and health, I do not want to dread putting a mooring cover on the boat after a day out in the gulf or intercoastal. I have noticed that more people down here are using individual seat covers, but have not totally abandoned their mooring covers.
The new Bennington seat covers use the same railing attachments as the mooring cover which I believe is a nice feature.

I have the seat covers. Everything it protected except the floor, which has a 10 year warranty. I can remove my covers by myself and be under way in about 2 minutes. I can recover the boat by myself in 3-4 minutes. I won't even consider getting a full mooring cover on my next boat.

I have the seat covers. Everything it protected except the floor, which has a 10 year warranty. I can remove my covers by myself and be under way in about 2 minutes. I can recover the boat by myself in 3-4 minutes. I won't even consider getting a full mooring cover on my next boat.
We are looking to buy seat covers for our Bennington after 3 years of putting on the mooring cover at the dock after a hot day on the water.
Thank you for your posting. Did you buy your covers through Bennington or at a local dealer? I have searched online and do not find what I think I want.

We are looking to buy seat covers for our Bennington after 3 years of putting on the mooring cover at the dock after a hot day on the water.
Thank you for your posting. Did you buy your covers through Bennington or at a local dealer? I have searched online and do not find what I think I want.
They came with the boat when I purchased it new.

I have seat covers and mooring cover on my new Bennington. I use the mooring cover when the boat won't be used for several days and the seat covers if the boat will be used several days in a row. The seat covers are nice if you are boating at night and the dew sets in, you can cover the unoccupied seats before they get wet and just have to cover the occupied seats when you dock. Or, if you're caught out in the rain, you can cover the unoccupied seats so they don't get soaked.

Back