Our new Bennington 20 Sli

Joyfultooner

Reaction score
Thank you Toons Up for the picture posting instructions!!
biggrin.gif
I was able to use Picasa, which I already use, to do the cut and paste. Thanks again for your expertise! She still needs to be detailed before the official photo shoot, but Sparkdr220 and I just had to show everyone!! LOL!

DSC_0018.JPG

Nice looking, congratulations! I know you can't wait to get it on the water - hope it starts warming up soon (as does my son who lives in McHenry, IL). In the meantime, have fun checking it out more and buying stuff to use on it!

As an aside, also check out everything on the trailer, especially all the nuts and bolts. When I purchased mine last August, everything on the Bennington was fine, but when I only accidently got around to checking out the trailer, I found four very loose nuts and one missing nut on the bolts that secure the bunks.

Nice looking, congratulations! I know you can't wait to get it on the water - hope it starts warming up soon (as does my son who lives in McHenry, IL). In the meantime, have fun checking it out more and buying stuff to use on it!

As an aside, also check out everything on the trailer, especially all the nuts and bolts. When I purchased mine last August, everything on the Bennington was fine, but when I only accidently got around to checking out the trailer, I found four very loose nuts and one missing nut on the bolts that secure the bunks.
Thank you Friar! Great tip on the trailer check up!!

We don't only need warmer weather. The river is high with fast current and lots of debris right now...so we are not going to push it like we have in past years with our ancient barge. We also need to have a few good days in a row to clean the toons and Sharkhide them. We will be enjoying driveway parties if we should happen to have a gorgeous day until launch!!
cool.gif

One of our favorite features so far is the platform and swim ladder on the back. Our old boat had wasted space in front of the playpen. This back deck makes it possible to put the boot on the bimini and snap the cover on from bow to stern from inside the boat without kneeling on the seats. We can also scoot in and out of the back door to put up the poles. Kudos to the engineers/designers!!

Thank you Friar! Great tip on the trailer check up!!

We don't only need warmer weather. The river is high with fast current and lots of debris right now...so we are not going to push it like we have in past years with our ancient barge. We also need to have a few good days in a row to clean the toons and Sharkhide them. We will be enjoying driveway parties if we should happen to have a gorgeous day until launch!!
cool.gif

One of our favorite features so far is the platform and swim ladder on the back. Our old boat had wasted space in front of the playpen. This back deck makes it possible to put the boot on the bimini and snap the cover on from bow to stern from inside the boat without kneeling on the seats. We can also scoot in and out of the back door to put up the poles. Kudos to the engineers/designers!!
Nice Boat! We ordered the same color 20 SLI, but are still waiting on delivery and warm weather. We also live on a river/chain of lakes. We will follow your advice on not launching until the flooding subsides. Guess it will be driveway parties for another month!

Nice looking boat I must say. By the way, it looks very similar to mine. :D Congrats!

Hi Joyful & Sparkdr, My what good taste you have! Yours is just like the one we got, except for the ski pylon. Did you get a depth or fish finder? Fishing is not a big deal to us, so we got a depth finder. Just last week it was in the lower 70's, but alas, it snowed yesterday and it's back down in the 40's, blah! I too am waiting to apply the Sharkhide when the weather permits, along with adding a second battery. I hope your water levels come down and the weather gets warm soon, the driveway just isn't as much fun!

Hi Joyful & Sparkdr, My what good taste you have! Yours is just like the one we got, except for the ski pylon. Did you get a depth or fish finder? Fishing is not a big deal to us, so we got a depth finder. Just last week it was in the lower 70's, but alas, it snowed yesterday and it's back down in the 40's, blah! I too am waiting to apply the Sharkhide when the weather permits, along with adding a second battery. I hope your water levels come down and the weather gets warm soon, the driveway just isn't as much fun!
We do have great taste..don't we??
wink.gif

We added a depth gauge...we don't fish. I want nothing wormy or fishy on our new boat. I am the Obsessive Compulsive Cleaner...remember?? LOL

Added the tow bar mostly so we don't fall off the back deck....and it has already saved my a@@ over this past weekend!!

We will also be adding a second battery...right next to the first one. Plenty of room!!

We also added snap out carpet...which I LOVE!!

I have to disagree with you about the driveway. Fun is where you have it!!

Let's all pray for gentle rains...and warmer weather!!

Skeptic: Thanks for your kudos!!

Nice Boat! We ordered the same color 20 SLI, but are still waiting on delivery and warm weather. We also live on a river/chain of lakes. We will follow your advice on not launching until the flooding subsides. Guess it will be driveway parties for another month!
Thank you Kanop!! Hope you get it soon!! Do you live in IL?? It would be fun if we are twins on the Fox River!!
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
I was able to use Picasa, which I already use, to do the cut and paste. Thanks again for your expertise! She still needs to be detailed before the official photo shoot, but Sparkdr220 and I just had to show everyone!! LOL!

This is a beautiful TOON!! Wow! Congrats! as for the posting instructions your welcome, glad I could be of some help. I love the idea of a driveway party.......hahaha!

These Bennington Pontoons are just awesome looking! So I had to copy your photo again in my reply......Congats and many happy pontooning smiles!

DSC_0018.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi William and welcome to the forum! Sharkhide is a protective coating to put on your toons. It's to keep the toons looking new. Google [or whatever] Sharkhide to learn more. By the way, what pontoon do you have?

Thank you Kanop!! Hope you get it soon!! Do you live in IL?? It would be fun if we are twins on the Fox River!!
laugh.gif
We live in southeast Michigan on the Huron River Chain of Lakes. We'e just waiting on better weather now. So far, the river levels are pretty normal but a few spring storms could change all of that. We're looking to take delivery on the 2nd week of May. Then, hopefully all the spring projects will be done and we'll be tooning our buns off!

biggrin.gif

DSC_0018.JPG
Joyfulltooner,

Great looking pontoon! My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new pontoon. We have narrowed our search to the exact pontoon in your picture, 20'SLi except ours would come with a 60 Mecury 4 stroke Big Foot and we are also getting it in black.

The other pontoon we are comparing against is the Harris Cruiser 200CX,(20' with same motor as above). My concern with the Bennington is the extra large back swim platform. This seems to take up extra room for the "playpin" area. You stated you really liked the large swim platform. Do you or any other users of this model find this "shrinks" the playpin or main seating area?

The Bennington is our first choice over the Harris, but when I look at the picture you posted, it is noticable that the main seating area is smaller than the Harris.

Your thoughts as we are getting very close to making our purchase. (I realize we could step up to the next size, but price is a factor)

I will also take a close look at the plastic seat supports before making the purchase. We are very OCD as well and this will bug me!!

Thanks,

Mike and Amy

Joyfulltooner,

Great looking pontoon! My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new pontoon. We have narrowed our search to the exact pontoon in your picture, 20'SLi except ours would come with a 60 Mecury 4 stroke Big Foot and we are also getting it in black.

The other pontoon we are comparing against is the Harris Cruiser 200CX,(20' with same motor as above). My concern with the Bennington is the extra large back swim platform. This seems to take up extra room for the "playpin" area. You stated you really liked the large swim platform. Do you or any other users of this model find this "shrinks" the playpin or main seating area?

The Bennington is our first choice over the Harris, but when I look at the picture you posted, it is noticable that the main seating area is smaller than the Harris.

Your thoughts as we are getting very close to making our purchase. (I realize we could step up to the next size, but price is a factor)

I will also take a close look at the plastic seat supports before making the purchase. We are very OCD as well and this will bug me!!

Thanks,

Mike and Amy
Thank you and you have excellent taste!
biggrin.gif

We were finally able to launch on Easter Sunday. Our river is NO WAKE right now, so Ron(sparkdr220) had to putter down a mile to our lift.... and on the lift it has stayed. Our weather has been BRUTAL in April. So much rain. No tornados though...so we are grateful for that. I really feel sad for those people. Yesterday was warmer but windy so we chose to stay on the lift and drink wine and listen to Jimmy Buffet all afternoon. We had a great time!!

As for the swim deck, it still is one of our most favorite features. Getting the playpen and bimini covers on are easier, we can fuel from there (boat lift sticks out past the dock so fuel tank is hard to reach from there.) Access to the engine is awesome. No need to get into the water), We can lash our kayaks there for day trips. Our last pontoon had a space in front of the playpen that was totally useless. We are using the space in front of the playpen to get on and off the boat because of lift configuration. It is wide enough to do this comfortably.

As far as space goes we can hold eleven according to the placard, but nine will fit most comfortably...including the captain!
cool.gif
We absolutely LOVE the layout and all seats are really comfortable to relax on. All of our safety equipment, fenders, dock lines, anchors etc...all have a place to be stored without crowding.....and the table and base fit just right in the smallest front seat. We bought a Luggable Loo for the changing room...and all the covers fit nicely in that space as well.

As far as the bases go....we sat on the boat all day yesterday and I didn't even notice. There is a little two tone and roughness in certain light....but the boat is so amazingly beautiful and comfortable that no guest is going to notice tiny flaws either.

My husband said that even though he had to go no wake, the engine was quiet and it was a pleasure to drive. We don't think you will be disappointed choosing a Bennington. We LOVE IT!!

Good luck with your decision!!

Jody

Hi Mike & Amy! and welcome to the forum! Last we heard from Team Bennington the issues with the seat bases was not consistent on all of them, it seems it may have been on only some of them. And as Jody mentioned, you really have to look close to notice. Brenda and I purchased the same toon as the one you are looking at, although we have not had it on the water yet, we have spent some time on it doing some add-ons and keeping it clean. We find the playpen area to be comfy and spacious, and feel the extra room on the back is a great use of the space. Of course we are all biased on this forum, But for me, Bennington offers the best quality and value for your dollar. The 60hp is also a good choice, ours came with the 50hp Yamaha as part of the package, and i'm ok with that, but given the choice, always go with the most hp's you can get. Buy the Bennington, you won't regret it! We love ours as well.

Thank you and you have excellent taste!
biggrin.gif

We were finally able to launch on Easter Sunday. Our river is NO WAKE right now, so Ron(sparkdr220) had to putter down a mile to our lift.... and on the lift it has stayed. Our weather has been BRUTAL in April. So much rain. No tornados though...so we are grateful for that. I really feel sad for those people. Yesterday was warmer but windy so we chose to stay on the lift and drink wine and listen to Jimmy Buffet all afternoon. We had a great time!!

As for the swim deck, it still is one of our most favorite features. Getting the playpen and bimini covers on are easier, we can fuel from there (boat lift sticks out past the dock so fuel tank is hard to reach from there.) Access to the engine is awesome. No need to get into the water), We can lash our kayaks there for day trips. Our last pontoon had a space in front of the playpen that was totally useless. We are using the space in front of the playpen to get on and off the boat because of lift configuration. It is wide enough to do this comfortably.

As far as space goes we can hold eleven according to the placard, but nine will fit most comfortably...including the captain!
cool.gif
We absolutely LOVE the layout and all seats are really comfortable to relax on. All of our safety equipment, fenders, dock lines, anchors etc...all have a place to be stored without crowding.....and the table and base fit just right in the smallest front seat. We bought a Luggable Loo for the changing room...and all the covers fit nicely in that space as well.

As far as the bases go....we sat on the boat all day yesterday and I didn't even notice. There is a little two tone and roughness in certain light....but the boat is so amazingly beautiful and comfortable that no guest is going to notice tiny flaws either.

My husband said that even though he had to go no wake, the engine was quiet and it was a pleasure to drive. We don't think you will be disappointed choosing a Bennington. We LOVE IT!!

Good luck with your decision!!

Jody
Jody,

Thank you for your help.

We have made our selection and it will be a Bennington just like yours. It looks like you have the Yamaha outboard. Do you have the 70 HP? We have decided to go to a different dealer that offers the SLi 20 with the choice of a Yamaha or Mercury. Everything I read indicates that the Yamaha might be the better of the two given the choice. (I don't have the experience with either to make this comment)

Any concerns with your Yamaha? Does it seem to have enough power? We would like to eventually pull our two young boys on a tube. The dealer states this would have enough power to pull an adult on a tube or ski's with ease???

If any other readers have any comments, please feel free to chime in. I think we are going to make the decision on the 60 hp Mercury or the 70 hp Yamaha this Friday. The 70 hp is $647 more than the 60 hp Mercury.

We have also decided on a tandem axel vs. single axle as we will be towing this approximately 150 miles to our cottage. This is also a $550 up grade.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike and Amy

Michigan

"mike and amy" First, I am sure you are going to be happy with your Bennington if thats what you decide on. As for the motor, I have a Yamaha 90 on my 2275 GFi and already wish I had gone bigger to the 115hp. I suggest you go with the biggest motor (hp) you can afford (and be liberal about what you can afford, lol). When I was shopping all different kinds of pontoon manufacturers last year, various dealers would always say I could pull tubes "with ease" regardless of the size of the motor they were trying to sell with the pontoon. I consider myself lucky I didn't settle on a 40hp motor.

As for the size of the swim deck, mine looks to be only 2/3 the width of your model, but I now consider it essential. If for no other reasons, it is a great place for my 10 year old grandson to "drip dry" for a couple seconds before he comes into the playpen area. I suspect with two boys, you will come to the same conclusion. Plus it is a great place to install a grill on a pedestal as some others on this site have done. Since I trailer my boat also, I find it is a great place to load stuff on the boat from the house (like full coolers, food containers, toys, my portable jump battery, etc.) then I only have to climb up once to move the stuff to various locations within the playpen area.

"mike and amy" First, I am sure you are going to be happy with your Bennington if thats what you decide on. As for the motor, I have a Yamaha 90 on my 2275 GFi and already wish I had gone bigger to the 115hp. I suggest you go with the biggest motor (hp) you can afford (and be liberal about what you can afford, lol). When I was shopping all different kinds of pontoon manufacturers last year, various dealers would always say I could pull tubes "with ease" regardless of the size of the motor they were trying to sell with the pontoon. I consider myself lucky I didn't settle on a 40hp motor.

As for the size of the swim deck, mine looks to be only 2/3 the width of your model, but I now consider it essential. If for no other reasons, it is a great place for my 10 year old grandson to "drip dry" for a couple seconds before he comes into the playpen area. I suspect with two boys, you will come to the same conclusion. Plus it is a great place to install a grill on a pedestal as some others on this site have done. Since I trailer my boat also, I find it is a great place to load stuff on the boat from the house (like full coolers, food containers, toys, my portable jump battery, etc.) then I only have to climb up once to move the stuff to various locations within the playpen area.
Admiral,

I completely agree with everything you stated and in fact, I am proud to say that we put our deposit down an hour ago on a 2011 SLI with the Yamaha new F70. (Looks just like the one above) We chose the tandem axle trailer with the wider tires as we will be towing this to and from our cottage to enjoy lakes and rivers close to our house.

We are so excited. We feel we got a great deal and shopped not only for price but good service after the sale. I will post a photo as soon as we take deliver next weekend.

I also agree with the large swim platform on the back. At first I was a little turned off by the size, but after thinking about halling a tube and sand toys for the 2 and 3 year old, this will work great. I have already been thinking of a grill on a pedestal as well and this would be a great area as I can put a small rubber mat under it to catch any drippings.

We are going to add an in dash depth/fish finder, not so much for fishing but for unfamiliar lakes and river depths. We don't want to spend a $$$ but want something reliable with accurate readings. Any suggestions from you knowledge would be great!

Thanks for the insight and we will soon be Happy Bennington owners soon!

Mike

Back