Outriggers on your Bennington?

dannyleininger

Reaction score
Im planning my second fishing trip to the FL Keys. With high hopes and the desire to improve my odds of success so Im seriously considering adding a pair of lightweight fishing outriggers to my Benny, as we only use light weight tackle.

Has anyone done this? Photos? Im struggling with where/how to attach the base. The current thought is to weld an angled plate between the rails. See Picture. This will give me a solid attachment point for the base tube.

E1D38A1A-D7AE-4113-B353-CCF09DDEB8E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Danny, I’d spare the Benny and just rent a boat. Enjoy your trip!

I think welding the rails will look horrible, as it will ruin the anodizing, and void your warranty for sure ...

Thanks for your honest thoughts. OK, I get it! And you are right, very right! After a lot of searching I came up with another idea. No welding or mods to the rails. I purchased “gunnel” mount outrigger bases and had my dealer install them. This is a way better location...now off to find the fish!!!!

The beauty of this system is to allow your to troll you baits outside the prop wash area and when it’s not in use you simply remove and store the holders and outriggers. No stubbed toes and everything is out of the way.

B65902C0-0A53-4BFA-9268-6115837A384D.jpeg E1D7F04B-E2C5-4757-BC68-43CF7C1E8D61.jpeg 936B6092-51E7-4AD8-954E-7F908F8CAA37.jpeg

Share some photos of what you catch with those bad boys!

Looks good! Great idea!!

how much per unit?

Is the heavy duty rubrail now black instead of gray? Sorry I know that is off topic but it caught my eye.

how much per unit?

Materials and parts are about $360 plus +/- $100 to have my dealer install the bases.

Outrigger base $100
Outriggers 1-1/8” x 15 feet. $190 (Ebay)
Rigging kit. $70

I would like to see some pics or video of them in action please.

Me too! Especially with a 20# Mahi Mahi on the line!

If you're passing by Palm city let me know. Also, do you have a trolling motor on your boat?

If you're passing by Palm city let me know. Also, do you have a trolling motor on your boat?

A big one :)) We will be trolling the edge of the Gulfstream at 5-7mph so my 150 Yamaha will be my trolling motor. The deep water is just a mile offshore.

So how are you enjoying Florida? Using your Benny often?

Nice! It’s a few miles out from us here. Went out a couple weeks ago with a neighbor and caught a mahi and a tuna. Delicious! It’s a whole other world out there compared to inshore.

I was going to offer you cash to swing by so I could see how a pontoon works with a trolling motor first hand. My wife is convinced for some unknown reason that the tides and wind it too much for a trolling motor here. I want to prove her wrong!!

Nice! It’s a few miles out from us here. Went out a couple weeks ago with a neighbor and caught a mahi and a tuna. Delicious! It’s a whole other world out there compared to inshore.

I was going to offer you cash to swing by so I could see how a pontoon works with a trolling motor first hand. My wife is convinced for some unknown reason that the tides and wind it too much for a trolling motor here. I want to prove her wrong!!

Sorry I couldn’t help. I have no experience with trolling motors. Good luck with this conquest.

Back