"Overnight" Boat Cover

buckeyelake

Reaction score
Our new boat stays in the water and when I get back at night it takes some time, and skill in the dark, to put on the cover.  Obviously if it is going to rain then I will do it, but I was wondering if anyone has found a simple cover to use just overnight to keep bugs/dirt out?  I was thinking it would just snap on the 4 corners  using the existing snaps and be very lightweight?

Any ideas?

Just use your regular cover and snap a few snaps....

I got a semi-stock cover from http://nationalboatcovers.com.  It has elastic around the bottom and completely covers my boat unlike the factory cover which leaves my teak rear deck always exposed. Much easier to put on than the factory cover I believe and again covers the entire boat.  It comes with eight nylon tiedown straps which I have never used because the elastic around the bottom covers so snugly.  My two cents.   Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use the regular cover, only snap one snap one each side of the bow and Velcro around the Bimini supports holds it in place. we have what I call blind mosquito's that get in the dew on the boat & drown so you have dead bugs everywhere the next morning if you don't cover it

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a semi-stock cover from http://nationalboatcovers.com.  It has elastic around the bottom and completely covers my boat unlike the factory cover which leaves my teak rear deck always exposed. Much easier to put on than the factory cover I believe and again covers the entire boat.  It comes with eight nylon tiedown straps which I have never used because the elastic around the bottom covers so snugly.  My two cents.   Gerry
Which one did you get from them? The Sunbrella or the next down? And do you by chance have any photos of it on your boat? I'm really interested in a cover like that. I wish Bennington would offer the choice between a mooring cover and true trailering cover. 

I got the Windstorm, the one with the 7 year warranty.  For my size, 2575 RCW, it was $534.99 with free shipping and a free motor cover.  Seems almost identical in fabric and thickness to  the original Bennington cover.  I can get some photos in the next evening or so. Certainly.  Gerry

That cover looks like Bennington quality Gerry for my 2275 RL it's $469.  The only time my boat is on the trailer is for the one mile each way to and from winter storage otherwise I would buy it

Right Link.  But I got it to cover my boat every night under my boathouse.  Will use the Bennington cover to trailer, although this is a quite trailerable cover.  Spider droppings are the biggest reason to get this cover.  It covers the entire boat including the rear teak deck which the Bennington factory cover does not.  Easier to get on and off also I believe.  Gerry 

Gerry, use the Windstorm to trailer, the Bennington is a NOT a trailerable cover

Gerry, use the Windstorm to trailer, the Bennington is a NOT a trailerable cover
That is correct Link, I remember that from somewhere.  I only travel about 5 miles from my lakehouse to store it in my 80x100 building at my office for the winter.  Only really had it on once to bring it back to the house for the summer.  Thanks Gerry

I have a "trailer-able" towing cover with the elastic-corded bottom.  It has straps that secure it to the trailer.  It really fits by boat badly!  Because of the poor fit, its tends to flap horribly while on the road and beats up the boat.  I have stopped using it for highway travel, but will put it on for the occasional overnight mooring.

I will be building a new cover this winter (if the budget allows).  My intention is to make a reinforced, tight-fitting mooring cover with extra side panels which be added for road travel and secured to the trailer.

Question for Gerry or anyone else who has bought a Windstorm cover. I ended up ordering one from National Boat Covers that just got in today. So far it seems like a terrible fit on my 2275 GCW. First, I can't even tell which is the front and which is the back. The 'instructions' say there should be a label that says front but that is not the case. The only thing different about front or back is that one end has a strap that unbuckles like it is designed to fit around something. Is that how yours is? And there are corners sewed into the ends as if the rail of the boat goes all the way to the edges of the deck. Seems like no matter how many straps I put on those things are going to flap like crazy. Also, the dang thing won't cover the whole boat down below the deck. I even dropped the bimini all the way down so it's not supported by clips and it still won't go under the rail at that higher area. I haven't tried strapping it tight, but man am I disappointed so far. And the motor cover doesn't even come close to fitting over my F200 :( .  I'm going to Call them tomorrow but I am seriously worried I just blew $500 on a completely useless piece of fabric. I'd love any input from anyone with experience with these. 

Sorry to hear the national boat cover was a terrible fit. i was going to try one of those covers for my boat. I think ill try one from another boat covers Supplier

5+ years between posts. Might be a record. Not poking fun, I've done this myself!

Been there, done that myself Kaydano.

Back