Overreving with 14P prop, dealer thinks it's right but Merc says that's too high.

Is that a 150 Merc? What RPM are you running at 43 MPH?

thanks!
Yes, a shiny, black one. I don't recall the rpms, but they went down (a bit under recommended max) and my speed picked up 5 mph. My dealer didn't believe me because "we try several props and choose the right one." Of course that's a crock. They read a chart; who are they trying to kid? I had to remind him that I don't make it a point to make up shit and that he was invited for a ride (and to be sure he brought his hand-held GPS to verify). He passed, but I'm sure he still doesn't believe me. Shrug. LOL

Yes, a shiny, black one. I don't recall the rpms, but they went down (a bit under recommended max) and my speed picked up 5 mph. My dealer didn't believe me because "we try several props and choose the right one." Of course that's a crock. They read a chart; who are they trying to kid? I had to remind him that I don't make it a point to make up shit and that he was invited for a ride (and to be sure he brought his hand-held GPS to verify). He passed, but I'm sure he still doesn't believe me. Shrug. LOL
My dealer is also going off the “chart” so is convinced that the 14 is the way to go but I’m still leaning towards the 15

My dealer is also going off the “chart” so is convinced that the 14 is the way to go but I’m still leaning towards the 15
Honestly...15p Enertia and be done. :)

I had a similar dealer experience to Goldnrod with our prop when we got our new boat in 2017. The collective advice in this forum was spot on, the dealer was off by one pitch. They dug their heals in, but finally relented and let me give it a try. Their tech acted shocked at the difference it made.

With you keeping your boat up on a lift, your toons are going to stay nice and clean, and consequently the boat will run fast. Go with the 15p Enertia as so much of the advice above. It works out both numbers wise, but also experientially. If you stick with the 14p, don’t run it over the 5800 rpm. I would never exceed that, especially after the Mercury rep says not to.

Congrats on the new boat. Looks great in your pictures. Exciting times ahead.

Honestly...15p Enertia and be done. :)

I had a similar dealer experience to Goldnrod with our prop when we got our new boat in 2017. The collective advice in this forum was spot on, the dealer was off by one pitch. They dug their heals in, but finally relented and let me give it a try. Their tech acted shocked at the difference it made.

With you keeping your boat up on a lift, your toons are going to stay nice and clean, and consequently the boat will run fast. Go with the 15p Enertia as so much of the advice above. It works out both numbers wise, but also experientially. If you stick with the 14p, don’t run it over the 5800 rpm. I would never exceed that, especially after the Mercury rep says not to.

Congrats on the new boat. Looks great in your pictures. Exciting times ahead.
Thanks very much. Every is confirming 15 seems right and your comment especially is giving me the confidence to move forward with ordering it.

Wife and I both grew up around Raleigh so I spend time on Falls, Kerr, Gaston and SML (agree it’s the best!) as a kid. We’ve been here in Charlotte for 5+ years but just moved to this house in October. Fortunate enough to be on the water so we didn’t even buy a trailer. Just had to modify my existing lift with flat bunks.

I’ll have a better lake report come summer but so far Wylie seems like a perfect lake for pontoons, not too crowded. There’s a waterfront restaurant just across the lake we are looking forward to checking out by boat.
If you are talking about Papa Doc's Shore club...... Love that place! Great food and atmosphere! Went to an in water boat show there before Covid hit a couple summers ago put on by that Veranda dealer. Had live music. Just a good experience!

I ask because we've been on Norman, Jordan, Badin, High Rock, Tillery, Cammack, Mayo, Hyco, Kerr, Falls, Belews, Brandt, Higgins, Randolph, Macintosh, and Townsend, but never Wylie. LOL Live in Greensboro area, and prefer Smith Mountain Lake (the best) and Gaston over all of those. Need to check out Wylie. Heard good things.
Hey BigD what didn't you like about Lake Norman?!? Been here 6 yrs. and just love it! We have also boated SML and Lake Gaston. Nice lakes but preferred Lake Anna.......

Agree with Vikingstaff. Go with Enertia and be done with it! But let me throw this in there...... I have an Enertia 14.50 x 17P on my Mercury 150. It's pretty much dialed in. We have had it up to 42 at 5500-5600 RPMs. Our dealer asked us if we wanted to try a 15P but we are satisfied with what we have so never did. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7oF6yYY13MwtaHSq8

If you are talking about Papa Doc's Shore club...... Love that place! Great food and atmosphere! Went to an in water boat show there before Covid hit a couple summers ago put on by that Veranda dealer. Had live music. Just a good experience!
Yeah Papa Docs, looking forward to checking it out!

Agree with Vikingstaff. Go with Enertia and be done with it! But let me throw this in there...... I have an Enertia 14.50 x 17P on my Mercury 150. It's pretty much dialed in. We have had it up to 42 at 5500-5600 RPMs. Our dealer asked us if we wanted to try a 15P but we are satisfied with what we have so never did. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7oF6yYY13MwtaHSq8
I have an Enertia on the Merc 150 now, it’s just a 15.3x14”.

(I don’t think @BigD said he didn’t like Norman, just listed it as one of the lakes he has been on before)

Hey BigD what didn't you like about Lake Norman?!? Been here 6 yrs. and just love it! We have also boated SML and Lake Gaston. Nice lakes but preferred Lake Anna.......
I didn't dislike any of them, though some of them don't allow water sports, but I prefer SML and Gaston. Norman is very, very busy in the summer. Granted, there's more to do at Norman and SML. That can be a plus if you are trailering and can't be pulling up at your lake home for breaks. Been looking to buy a place at SML for 2 years now, but proceeding with great caution as prices are usually greatly inflated. Waters Edge there in Penhook is our goal, but somebody is always trying to make a bunch of money on a lake property...cause they can. Gaston has a place called HubQuarters Landing we love, but there is a waiting list there to buy. Lake Anna is outside my 2 hour window.

Last edited:
I didn't dislike any of them, though some of them don't allow water sports, but I prefer SML and Gaston. Norman is very, very busy in the summer. Granted, there's more to do at Norman and SML. That can be a plus if you are trailering and can't be pulling up at your lake home for breaks. Been looking to buy a place at SML for 2 years now, but proceeding with great caution as prices are greatly inflated usually. Somebody always trying to make a bunch of money on a lake property...cause they can. Gaston has a place called HubQuarters Landing we love, but there is a waiting list there to buy. Lake Anna is outside my 2 hour window.
The summer time lake traffic at Norman is what kept us from buying up there. Easier to get into Charlotte from the part of Lake Wylie that we ended up buying too. I think we did ok though....

Attachments

• 50013845-002.jpg
    50013845-002.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 19
The summer time lake traffic at Norman is what kept us from buying up there. Easier to get into Charlotte from the part of Lake Wylie that we ended up buying too. I think we did ok though....
Nice. Yes, you did well.

Beautiful!!! Did great! You're right about the summer time weekend boat traffic here. That's why we boat during the week.

Last edited:
I didn't dislike any of them, though some of them don't allow water sports, but I prefer SML and Gaston. Norman is very, very busy in the summer. Granted, there's more to do at Norman and SML. That can be a plus if you are trailering and can't be pulling up at your lake home for breaks. Been looking to buy a place at SML for 2 years now, but proceeding with great caution as prices are usually greatly inflated. Waters Edge there in Penhook is our goal, but somebody is always trying to make a bunch of money on a lake property...cause they can. Gaston has a place called HubQuarters Landing we love, but there is a waiting list there to buy. Lake Anna is outside my 2 hour window.
Had a bil/sil that lived in Roanoke so we used to go to SML all the time. Great place! You are right about the summer time traffic on the weekends. It's a different world boating during the week. Only go out on weekends if the kids come or have company. Still there are so many nooks and crannies, beautiful houses and restaurants to explore........

Had a bil/sil that lived in Roanoke so we used to go to SML all the time. Great place! You are right about the summer time traffic on the weekends. It's a different world boating during the week. Only go out on weekends if the kids come or have company. Still there are so many nooks and crannies, beautiful houses and restaurants to explore........
I wish we had more restaurants on Wylie

UPDATE: I appreciate everyone weighing in on this issue. I took my wife and the dogs on a short ride today at lunch and even with their added weight I was at 5880 RPM @ WOT. I called my dealer and asked him to order the 15x15" for me. Will be a couple weeks but I'll update with performance numbers once it come in. Thanks everyone for the advice!

B-man, are you teasing us with statements like "I took my wife and the dogs on a short ride today at lunch..."?? ;)

It's currently 12 degrees and I'm looking at three months minimum before we get to splash her for the season, little lone taking a lunch cruise. Some folks got all the luck! Enjoy...

B-man, are you teasing us with statements like "I took my wife and the dogs on a short ride today at lunch..."?? ;)

It's currently 12 degrees and I'm looking at three months minimum before we get to splash her for the season, little lone taking a lunch cruise. Some folks got all the luck! Enjoy...
Haha, it's not quite 50 here, but sunny at least. We all were bundled up in jackets, dogs included! And it was just a short trip to drop off a care package at our friends dock, they have a baby on the way.

Back