PADs Hit Me Hard

scubadad

Reaction score
So I poked around on the Bennington boat builder site a few weeks ago.  That got me to thinking about an upgrade from my 2015 22SSRX.  I had heard folks were getting close to what they originally paid for their Benningtons...and some even said they were getting more.  I decided "what the heck".  I'll put it out there for what I want for it (which was more than I paid) and if I get it great...if I don't that's OK to.  Well, the new owner picked it up today.  In fact, after he bought it and before I could remove the add from Craigslist, I had two more folks contact me about it.  I can't believe I used the boat for 2.5 years and sold it for just a bit more than I paid for it.  These things really do hold their value.  

I guess the only downside is due to the backup at Bennington I'll be without a boat for the summer.  We're meeting with our dealer next week to spec out a new one.  Not upgrading to much, just want to get something in the SXP line with a little nicer furniture, and get a different layout that suits what we want to do a little better.  We're looking at either a 22SCWX Premium, SSLX or SSLX Dinette Premium.  We want something that is better suited to anchoring and just reclining back and enjoying the tranquility.  We looked at a 22SX Swingback and I really love the open feel of it, but the it just didn't feel all that comfortable when we laid back on it.  It's also possible I'll move up to a 24.  Based on how we used our previous boat we know we're staying with a 115...we just never get above a nice peaceful cruising speed.  

Would love to hear any feedback on the models I listed above and get peoples likes/dislikes.  Oh, and does anyone know where I can get some help or advice on spec'ing out my new boat? :)

I have the 2012 24 SSL.  The rear-facing loveseat is really great for doing what you described - lounging around watching the world go by.  What's really nice about it is the space behind the lounger back.  I cut out the center vertical back  brace, and had enough space to install a 19 gallon fuel tank.  The ride back there is EXCEPTIONALLY comfortable when going through rough seas.  Blondie has a bad back, and when we're in 2'-3' seas, that rear lounger really smooths the ride out.

aA far as the value of your boat goes, the NADA guide is what every dealer I know of uses.  It's pretty clear as to what you can expect from resale/trade in.

Scubadad any chance of you upgrading to a G or an R ?!?

Like tcpip95 we have a 24SSLX and we love it! Let me be clear, I had to sacrifice a G series and a 250hp boat due to that layout! You can easily have enough room for a portable head and we have plenty of storage. We have the extended rear deck which we both could not live without. As stated the back seat is favorite no matter whose on the boat, sometimes I need to pull rank to try it out! :)  

BigKahuna, with two kids still in college I have a set amount of "play money" right now.  The sell of my SSRX along with a little extra is what allows me to upgrade slightly, but the G and R series are a little out of my range right now.  

Sounds like the SSL is well liked among several of you.  tcpip95, what do you mean when you say you "cut out the center vertical back  brace"?  You can request that when you order?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why anyone would have to wait for a boat.  Just search the web, find a great discount on what you want and buy it.  If no dealers around you have one you like, tough.  $1500 to have it delivered to you, or drive and get it.  I would not go a whole season without one unless I was going to be busy with something else.

So it looks like I don't have to wait for a boat.  Went by dealer yesterday to sit down and spec out our boat and he showed us a 22SCWXP he had in showroom.  It's actually a little more boat that I wanted but he made the price right and we take delivery tomorrow.  The only thing we would change if we could is the color...it's Regatta Blue and White, same as our old boat.  I can live with that.  $45,500 out the door.  I think that's a good deal.

2017 22' SSWXP with Mercury 150, SPS and Sea Star steering

Vinyl Teak Slate flooring

Kicker KMC10 Stereo

Kicker RGB lighted speakers

Striker 4 fish finder

Tilt steering and steering wheel upgrade

Lighted bimini top

RGB lighted cupholders and toe kick lighting

RGB exterior side lighting

"R" recliners

In-floor storage

Heavy duty rub rail

Large water separator

Stainless steel dock lights

Ski tow bar

Stainless steel prop

2 portable cup holders

Of course pics to follow once we take delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great boat!  Congratulations.

Congrats!! Can't wait to see some pics 

Sounds like a winner!!!

That is going to be an awesome boat! Looking forward to the pics. I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I would like to have the white accent stripe on ours.

Congrats Scubadad!!! 

That is going to be an awesome boat! Looking forward to the pics. I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I would like to have the white accent stripe on ours.

If the dealer/Bennington can't do it........Look for a local vinyl wrap or decal shop. They should be able to hook you up!

Sweet!! Can't wait for pics!

Nice Scubadad, I also had specked out a boat and when I went in to get the price fell in love with one in stock that was a more than I originally intended but could not resist after seeing it

Congrats, nice boat!

Delivery was delayed until Sunday due to storms.  Took it out briefly yesterday but couldn't stay long because of other obligations.  Everything checked out fine and we accepted the boat.  Still have some break-in time on the motor but I can already feel the power difference.  Sorry, not many pics yet but more to follow.

IMG_1587.JPG

Back