Performance issues

Looney Toon

Reaction score
We took delivery of our 2012 20 SL (Salt Water Series) with a 70 HP Yamaha (max HP) in June. We have 13 hours and have been breaking in the engine as instructed. The other day we decided to take a longer trip down the river to see how she would perform. We have 25" logs so the maximum capacity is 11 people. We had the Bimini up, 1/2 tank of fuel, with 6 average sized adults and a few coolers onboard. When we took delivery we were instructed with the 2 log pontoon it is not necessary to trim the engine up underway. With the engine trimmed down at about 3/4 throttle the engine started to lug. I played a little with the trim to see if that would make a difference but the engine still lugged and missed a bit. At slow speed and idle it sounded fine. Anyone else experience this happening? Any thoughts?

On a better note we love our Amber Yellow color. We have had many positive comments and thumbs up. The people that have stopped and asked about it have been amazed that Bennington has stopped producing this color. They think it's unique and a real head turner. Glad we took delivery before the production ceased on the Amber Yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the yellow.

I am not sure why anyone would tell you trimming the motor up was not needed, as it most certainly is needed.

We have '11 SLi, 50 hp Yamaha, I trim up all the way at full throttle, trimming down to 3/4 on the trim gauge robs 500 rpm, and about 2mph.

You need to play with the trim to find what is optimal for your setup.

You say it's lugging, what is your W.O.T. rpm, and does the rpm drop off when you go from 3/4 to full throttle?

As for the Yellow, not for me personally, but i do like the look, and think Bennington might want to rethink that one!

And by the way, you've had it since June, and only have 13hrs on it? There's your problem right there! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check the fuel, fuel filter and hoses. It is always possible the fuel had been corrupted with water and other trash. Whereas, you had made an extended trip, the fuel cap vent may have stuck and created a tank pressure vacuum, starving the engine.

According to the Bennington manual 2 tube pontoon boats should have the engine trimmed down while running except in shallow water. The manual states 3 tube pontoons should have the engine down while accelerating and then trim engine up when underway. Will check the RPM's next time we're out. This is our first venture with a pontoon boat so we are still learning the ropes. Yes I agree we do need to get the boat out more often...LOL...but we keep it at the dock behind the house year round and tend to use our boats more in the cooler months of the year here in Florida.

Will check the fuel,etc. as suggested. The boat was delivered with a full tank of fuel added by the dealer. We have only added about 6 gallons since we took delivery. Not sure what type of fuel the dealer put in. We only use ethanol free gas in our boats and jet ski.

I have noticed that with my rwo 25' toons when I am underway if I trim to the 3/4 up position the boat picks up about 1mph. Not that I need 1mph but to me that says that the motor is running more efficently

I always ran my anticavitation plate parallel with the bottom of the hull on my 2 toon boat. Trimming didn't do much for me.

As far as the yellow, be careful putting a yellow mooring cover on the boat. There have been some complaints about the yellow bleeding on the top of Ivory seats, and the owners couldn't get the yellow off. I would ask for a neutral color mooring cover replacement.

Back