Performance was disappointing during first WOT

My R23 with Yamaha HO250 will do 45 top up 3 adults.
Did 40 with 8 adults

Trim all the way down as low as it will go. floor it, let the RPM come up, then bump the trim, till max GPS speed.
My boat likes about 1/4 trim.

Not sure what the Hyp is on 4 blades, My 3 blade will snap you back and hit 45 with top up. R23 w/ 250hp

I have a 2020 G25 with twin elliptical tubes with a yamaha f200. I don't know the prop specs other than its a 3 blade black stainless. I also am not sure what hole the engine is mounted in, but I can do 40 with a lighter load. And I can see big differences when playing with the trim. So anyways, like others have said, you will be fine once you figure things out. You should get to 45mph I would think.

View attachment 24795 Well I'm not 100% how close to 6,000 RPM's I was but feel it was fairly close. I was on the Ohio River in Louisville and it was windy and the water pretty choppy. I did also have the bimini top up which created drag, especially in the windy conditions. Wasn't planning on testing it, just decided to open in up for a few minutes. I know by my GPS I never exceeded 32 mph. I have included a picture I have showing the prop but it's not a good one. I'll get some more information and test again in better conditions. Thanks again. Steve
I noticed from photo that your engine is mounted in top hole (lowest setting possible). My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS F150 is the same. What I have read in these threads is often that is not the ideal position and many members seem to move up 1 hole for improved overall performance. Might be something to read about. Looks like my plan is to move engine up 1 hole and change prop to Yamaha Reliance SDS 3 blade SS 14.5x15p to dial mine in as it only runs currently 34mph at 5400 rpm with an aluminum prop that I don't know specs on.

Two of the biggest lessons from users of this forum are:
1) The 115 is underwhelming and;
2) Dealers typically prop the boat incorrectly
3) and often dealers mount engine too low (added by jhill)

Update and another question please: everyone was so helpful with advice earlier and I greatly appreciated it then and now. I decided to wait until this year when I had my boat at the lake for the full year, instead of a river (Ohio River). This year I was running even worse. Top RPM's were 5,200 and top speed was 30 mph. I can't live with that for a Yamaha F250. So I broke down and ordered the prop that Ken at Propgods recommended, but unfortunately I won't be able to test this year. Timing and all I just can't fit in it. But my boat just runs so sluggish that I can't stand it. I asked Ken about the mounting hole (I'm in the top hole) and he never responded to that. I get absolutely no difference in RPM's or speed or any other noticeable difference with my trim. I'm having the mechanic mount my new prop for next spring (yes it's killing me to not have to wait, but no other options) and considering having the motor raised on notch. Can I ask what hole everyone uses? I have a SXP25 with the ESP package and a Yamaha 250. I'm not a speed demon, but the sluggishness and 30mph can't be right. Thanks again everyone.

Not sure if this was answered but do you have the underskinning/wave tamer? Makes a huge difference. Also mount the prop yourself, very simple - save some $$ and get it done ASAP.

I have a Q3 17 on a 23’ and run 49. Good prop you will be happy. As others have mentioned most of us could benefit from moving up a hole or two. But your issue is somewhere else - motor, prop, scum, water in toon, etc. Motor height might get you another 2 mph, not the missing 10 you seek.

Try another dealer and get a second opinion.

SteveZ there can be many reasons why your rpms are so low. My boat was only running at 4000 rpms and I was at a loss as to why and considered prop options and hole slot. Brought my boat to local Bennington dealer and turned out it was only cotter pin rusted retaining prop nut causing prop slip. He replaced the fitter pin and to my amazement it was fixed and done. Pretty inexpensive compared to me trying all I wanted to

Not sure if this was answered but do you have the underskinning/wave tamer? Makes a huge difference. Also mount the prop yourself, very simple - save some $$ and get it done ASAP.

I have a Q3 17 on a 23’ and run 49. Good prop you will be happy. As others have mentioned most of us could benefit from moving up a hole or two. But your issue is somewhere else - motor, prop, scum, water in toon, etc. Motor height might get you another 2 mph, not the missing 10 you seek.

Try another dealer and get a second opinion.
Thanks much! I do have the full under skinning. Never knew that would make a huge difference. Appreciate the advice and I do look forward to trying the new prop.

SteveZ there can be many reasons why your rpms are so low. My boat was only running at 4000 rpms and I was at a loss as to why and considered prop options and hole slot. Brought my boat to local Bennington dealer and turned out it was only cotter pin rusted retaining prop nut causing prop slip. He replaced the fitter pin and to my amazement it was fixed and done. Pretty inexpensive compared to me trying all I wanted to
Wow. That's incredible. I am taking my boat to a new dealer this year and will discuss my issues with them in detail and see if they can help. Thanks again.

I had a 15 X !5 Enertia on it

What prop. I can only get 27 out of my 2011 2275 Yamaha 150

What model (R?) and hull (dual, ellipticals, EPP, SPS, ESP) do you have?

Back