Pets & Flooring

azray007

Reaction score
Good day,

Me again, I had some questions with regards to flooring choices.  My hazards, sand and 4 miniature dachshunds.  We beach our boat in a sandy area.  Our 4 weiners are not the best at always using the restroom on land.  While I would hope for no accidents, I know something is bound to happen.  Any suggestions in regards to the sand and puppy accidents?

I was looking at either the seagrass or the full floor designer vinyl.  

Thank you!

I have the vinyl and a 70lb lab we've had our share of accidents we keep a cut gallon jug to wash the vinyl down with lake water like it never happen.

I'd get the aqua teak, a squirt gun, and an air horn.

Just a guess, but if you also have concerns about your dogs' toenails on the flooring, Seagrass is probably a better choice than designer vinyl. That SG is some tough stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the advice, so go with the sea grass but be sure to have a jug on hand to "flush" away the accident.  Gotcha!

You might also want to see if the "wash down" option is available. We have one but maybe it only comes with a sink. 

I have the aqua teak vinyl and full snap in carpet. No issues here with our 85lb lab. I know many have the seagrass but I am nervous with the weave/texture and dog nails.

I had a washdown aftermarket installed by the dealer. 
This was mainly for fish blood or other similar messes.  Pumps the water from the lake.

I wonder if I could make a hose with an adapter to plug into the livewell nozzle....Then I would have a spray down for whatever may occur on the boat.

I wonder if I could make a hose with an adapter to plug into the livewell nozzle....Then I would have a spray down for whatever may occur on the boat.

I have a "portable" wash down that works great and is out of the way the rest of the time.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if you don't have the wash down option will just a bucket dipped in the lake work for "accidents"???

Not trying to be a smart ass but if you don't have the wash down option will just a bucket dipped in the lake work for "accidents"???

No offense or smartness taken...   B)   I'm just more curious how well the sea grass or designer vinyl rinse away pet accidents and/or sand.  I know how bad it stinks with the carpet in my boat...just hoping these flooring options are easier to clean.  Our boat is too small to take all four miniature dachshunds out, so with the pontoon, someone from our little wiener ranch will definitely have an accident.  Just trying to be prepared so we don't freak out the guests.  

Between the sea grass and designer vinyl, does anyone have a preference?  

Isn't the seagrass just a designer vinyl product?  I don't think it is actual "grass".

I was told my bamboo is just a color/texture and really a sealed back vinyl product. 

I don't think there is any difference in cleaning the two, but maybe a brush may be needed to clean the texture of any ground in 'accidents'.

...someone from our little wiener ranch will definitely have an accident.  Just trying to be prepared so we don't freak out the guests.  

If I'm on a boat and all of a sudden a little weiner has an accident I am jumping overboard!!!!

The sea grass seems a little more dense and seems to provide a little more cushion when walking on it.

I know there is a price difference between the two, with sea grass being more expensive than the bamboo, but I agree that at least as far as I could tell in the showroom, they both are vinyl products. I've not been on my boat enough to tell you exactly how the bamboo is constructed, but our dealer said to just wash down any spills and we'd be good to go. I don't believe they even order any boats with carpeting any longer.

We ordered the Sea grass in our boat, dealer called said it will be in next week.  I'll let you know then  :)

Seagrass (by Infinity Fabrics) is known in the trade as "(LWV) Luxury Woven Vinyl" HERE . Ours has proven extraordinarily durable through 3 seasons with an Irish Setter and now a Chocolate Lab. Soft under the feet and simple to clean.

Although we have kept the carpet clean for years......If and when we ever get another boat.........I would love to get the faux teak or the seagrass. 

Back